Aldi Mowers at $139

3K Club Member

Default Aldi Mowers at $139

Aldi have a 141 cc mower this weekend at $139 with 3 year warranty.

Now, having had my wife buy a GMC mower when I was in hospital, I know the GMC were not powerful enough for the average yard so it eventually went to the tip, and my idea has always been "you get whet you pay for", so, has anyone had, or presently have, one of Aldi's mowers, if so, what's your view of them.

They have been selling them for some years and last year were actually $99.

Online views seem to say 5 out of 6 think they are rubbish, however, I have one of their compressors which does everything I need to do and the online views on them were not too good, but this thing runs the rattle gun for wheel nuts and pumps tyres up..
    The compressor cost $150 with 5 year warranty.

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    Online views seem to say 5 out of 6 think they are rubbish, however, I have one of their compressors which does everything I need to do and the online views on them were not too good, but this thing runs the rattle gun for wheel nuts and pumps tyres up..
    The compressor cost $150 with 5 year warranty.
    That wouldn't be uncommon just because it is cheap some will say it is rubbish without owning one.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    That wouldn't be uncommon just because it is cheap some will say it is rubbish without owning one.
    Yea, I thought that too, and I have just put together one of their line trimmers for the wife, and quite sound, started no worries, quite solid, no more plastic than the $250 sthil I have here,
    so might take the risk on the mower.
    Just looked at the old one she is using and it is only 148 cc so 141 might be ok.
    Always take it back if I have to.

Golden Member

There was a similar thread on here last year and I think most people said they were good.
    ill stick with my old Rover though

Community Moderator

Always take it back if I have to.
    Invoke the "not fit for purpose" clause.

3K Club Member

Invoke the "not fit for purpose" clause.
    Well, I bought it, and yea, I thought of that as I was going to get it. LOL

Online reviews most said it took 2 men to put the catcher together, weak pussies is all I can say, as the catcher went together in about 20 seconds.

Rest went together easy as well, even comes with a hook for carrying the stubbie cooler, just have to punch a hole in the cooler.

On second thoughts, it could be for a water bottle ? nah, this is Australia, gotta be stubbie.

Started first pull as you would expect, and while they have probably been around for some time, I admit to never having seen a mower without a throttle, obviously governor controlled.

Have to wait now until the grass has been fertilised thick and green to see just how it performs.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll be back come summer with a report.

7K Club Member

The ad says "bigger and better than last year, same low price". My brother bought one last year and says it's been great

3K Club Member

Just found this old post about Aldi Mowers where I made a comment about K Mart and GMC mowers. https://www.renovateforum.com/f82/ru...-mower-120606/

Might pm Moondog and see how his is going.

edit. Moondog says his is still going great but the blade steel is a bit soft.

Mower blades have to be soft. You don't want a hard tempered steel to shatter against a stone and shrapnel flying in your legs. Also mower blades cut by impact, so blunt blades don't matter either.
    I used to sharpen mower blades but realised soon enough that they went blunt after a couple of cuts, yet kept on cutting anyway. The bevel on the blade makes some difference if it is down or up, but not much really.
    The fact that I stopped sharpening the blades accounts for my left hand still having all fingers. I had just finished mowing with the ride on, a very wet lawn. I had my earmuffs on, disengaged the deck and stopped the engine. Because of the earmuffs I couldn't hear that the blades were still spinning, not fast but enough to give me a nasty whack when I reached under the deck to scrape the wet grass off the deck, to avoid it rusting.

The chinese have learned to make fairly decent small engines for peanut money. Your mower will probably lose the wheels, the handle or perhaps split the deck before the engine dies.
    “It is not necessary to accept everything as true, one must only accept it as necessary”
    Franz Kafka

Golden Member

Those moments on time when one comes close to losing fingers, toes, arms, legs or worse sure stick in the mind for hell of a long time! ^^

Sure do. I still remember when at age 15 i dived under a flat bottom cargo launch to come out the other side and surprise the occupants. The tide was low and I had just enough room to squeeze between the mud and the boat. What I did not count on was that all those on board realised what I wanted to do and run to the other side to pelt me with apples (the boat was been loaded with a shipment of apples). The boat listed and the edge of the bottom pinned me against the mud. Fortunately the mud was very soft and I could wriggle out anyway.
    “It is not necessary to accept everything as true, one must only accept it as necessary”
    Franz Kafka

But seemed like a good idea at the time eh Marc. As do most things at 15

3K Club Member

Yep, been there 1983, kids were 4 and 7.
    Started to build a trolly with rope steering and ended up as a go kart of sorts.
    Mostly recycled with Victa 2 stroke, centrifugal clutch, single wheel bicycle chain drive, bicycle sprockets, with brake strap over clutch.
    They wore out about 6 engines, all free, over about 5 years until they graduated to YZ 80's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails go-kart-1.jpg  

The gardener of friend of my wife bought one of these aldi mowers on Saturday. Whilst mowing their grass that afternoon the quick release pin for the handle fell off and got picked up by the blades. Shot the pin out like a missile and ended up impaled in the bone of his leg. Trip to hospital for removal.Probably a one off. Know nothing about these mowers, but sure as hell won't be rushing out buy one anytime soon.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by RodEye View Post
    The gardener of friend of my wife bought one of these aldi mowers on Saturday. Whilst mowing their grass that afternoon the quick release pin for the handle fell off and got picked up by the blades. Shot the pin out like a missile and ended up impaled in the bone of his leg. Trip to hospital for removal.Probably a one off. Know nothing about these mowers, but sure as hell won't be rushing out buy one anytime soon.
    Shot the pin out like a missile LOL
    I have already used my $139 Aldi mower with no problems whatsoever, and the $90 line trimmer is just as good, but my Wife has the mower now, so I better make up some steel leggins for her, or maybe something like Ned Kelly wore.
    It does everything a $500 mower would be expected to do.

I have to laugh at the stupidity of some people.
    If the quick release pin comes loose, the handle would be very very loose to the point a person with common sense would stop to investigate.
    Have to also guess he did not read the instructions as to the correct procedure for assembly.
    Mind you, this is now a fourth hand story hey Rod. The gardener of a friend of my wife and now me.

I'm happy with what I got.

The quick release pin for the handle? Is that the thingy you push in that is spring loaded and catches in a hole ... How can that come out? And the bad luck of the blade picking that up and shooting it the leg ... oh my. It could have been a nut or a screw left there years ago. Nothing to do with Aldi.
    Things happen.
    I was chipping my winter pruning with my Red Roo CMS80 and after working with it for 4 hours straight, had to restart it to finish off the left overs.
    Pull the string and it kicked back instead of starting as it does every time first go. Well ... I was pulling and I did not let go so the kick back hurt the machine more than me, and the recoil-starter didn't rewind properly leaving half of the string hanging lose.
    Bugger I thought, have to finish this bit left, so give it another go. Pull and it started this time but the recoil mechanism was stuffed and when it did catch the flywheel to start, it did not let go, and after the rope finished unwinding it started to wind it back. It pulled my hand in, smashed the basket that surrounds the mechanism and fortunately ripped the cord leaving me with the rubber handle in my hand, and making a lot of unhealthy noises inside.
    When I was over my surprise and after I checked my underwear for unwanted stains, I took the cover off, pulled the rope out, winded it around the flywheel and with the help of a short stick for handle got the thing going again.
    Things we do ... the recoil starter unit is $120.
    Franz Kafka

Community Moderator

Doesn't matter what others think you are the one that decides if it is good or crap,

Shot the pin out like a missile LOL
    I have already used my $139 Aldi mower with no problems whatsoever, and the $90 line trimmer is just as good, but my Wife has the mower now, so I better make up some steel leggins for her, or maybe something like Ned Kelly wore.
    It does everything a $500 mower would be expected to do.

I have to laugh at the stupidity of some people.
    If the quick release pin comes loose, the handle would be very very loose to the point a person with common sense would stop to investigate.
    Have to also guess he did not read the instructions as to the correct procedure for assembly.
    Mind you, this is now a fourth hand story hey Rod. The gardener of a friend of my wife and now me.

Missile - An object thrown or fired at target.
    Also you might want to check your history champ, one of the places Ned Kelly was shot the most was in the legs, they brought him down because he wore no leg protection.
    Is the gardener a stupid person? I couldn't say, I've never met him, but I'm not about to cast judgement either.
    The photos are the evidence of the "fourth-hand" facts.
    I simply posted in this thread as I had heard that very day about this incident and thought I would share this information.
    You're happy with what you got. Good for you.

7K Club Member

Jeepers. He'll be off for a while

For those that remember the original Victa mowers they didn't clog with grass simply because the deck provided minimum resistance to anything coming loose. As a youngster we lived on a corner in the middle of town opposite a grain store. The road was sealed in the centre with gravel shoulders and every now and again a rock would end up in the grass. I managed to hit a rock shearing off two near new blades on full throttle, they missed my legs going out the side, flew at least 60 metres hitting the corrugated shed walls going clean through at head height. We got a lot of foot traffic during the week, lucky someone didn't get killed, fortunately it was after closing time. Mowers, they have come a long way, we overlook the danger of all these common household machines.

Community Moderator

I remember them and used one regularly in fact I used to make some pocket money mowing lawns. One thing people did was to save money they made their own blades and bolts and these were prone to breaking. My old man used to buy genuine blades and bolts.

Default Aldi Mowers at $139

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    For those that remember the original Victa mowers they didn't clog with grass simply because the deck provided minimum resistance to anything coming loose. As a youngster we lived on a corner in the middle of town opposite a grain store. The road was sealed in the centre with gravel shoulders and every now and again a rock would end up in the grass. I managed to hit a rock shearing off two near new blades on full throttle, they missed my legs going out the side, flew at least 60 metres hitting the corrugated shed walls going clean through at head height. We got a lot of foot traffic during the week, lucky someone didn't get killed, fortunately it was after closing time. Mowers, they have come a long way, we overlook the danger of all these common household machines.
    A woman died in Townsville a few years ago walking past someone slashing.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...03/2835751.htm

==============================

I remember them and used one regularly in fact I used to make some pocket money mowing lawns. One thing people did was to save money they made their own blades and bolts and these were prone to breaking. My old man used to buy genuine blades and bolts.
    Same with my Dad, he was a firm believer in branded parts, contrasted with keep up the lubricant and if it ain't broke' leave it alone. Everything we had was never short of oil and grease.

3K Club Member

The pic certainly got my attention.
    Sent it to the Wife with a note to keep an eye on the handle levers.
    Still have to wonder though, the assembly consists of the threaded pin, a roll pin which goes through the hole in the threaded pin, the lever through which the roll pin attaches to the threaded pin, and the large black plastic ridged nut which holds the steel nut which in turn screws onto the threaded pin.
    Once any one of them is loose, the handle should be falling off as well, although thinking about it, I had to force the secondary handle open to get it over the main handle, so maybe that force gave a false secure impression to the operator, in that the handle was not in fact loose as I would think it should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by webtubbs View Post
    A woman died in Townsville a few years ago walking past someone slashing.

Mowing accident kills woman - ABC North Qld - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

==============================
    Yeah. I always lift my brushcutter when slashing if someone nearby or a car passing. even the flying gumnuts are lethal.

Community Moderator

One of the tricks if you have a chipped windscreen is to find out where they are slashing the road edges and put in a claim to the local council but now I see when cars come they stop slashing and resume when cars past.

Hum ... should have thought of that Bros ... I had my wife's car chipped paint resprayed at my own cost only to have it damaged again by the mower dude that used the brush cutter as an edger right next to the car parked in the driveway. Pelted the drivers door with little stones. I told him I was going to put a claim in my insurance and if he could give me his insurance details. he denied doing it and never came back ...
    I actually damaged someones face with a brush cutter, back in the sixties when brush cutters were a novelty. We had a monster 80cc Mcculloch chainsaw with an "attachment" pole and handles and a steel blade that sounded like the propeller of a Cessna. I was chopping a blackberry invasion when one of the neighbours curiosity had the best of him and he had to see what the racket was all about. I hit a tin can with the blade, twisted it into a spinning ninja projectile and propelled it straight in his face easy 20 meters away. Big cut in his cheek. The guy must have been in his 90ties, yet after my mother patched him up, he healed in record time.

That is a nasty smack the guy got in his leg. What's with safety and mowing lawns. No one uses boots anymore? Not cool?
    Franz Kafka

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    What's with safety and mowing lawns. No one uses boots anymore?
    Been a very long time since I pushed a mower but always wore thongs.

1K Club Member

The old Victa's were always referred to as the "toe-cutter"

2K Club Member

Catch myself sometimes...in my crocs starting the mower...WITHOUT socks for those who care...

go get the boots Dave, right now Dave, and on a couple of occasions have been glad..
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?