Bunnings Sidchrome set - the real deal?

ebf

Default Bunnings Sidchrome set - the real deal?

Hi everyone,

I've got my eye on a new ratcheting spanner set. Bunnings has this one for $170:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/sidchrom...t-set_p6111047

Now, that's about $60 cheaper than any comparable 12 piece Sidchrome set which has me concerned. The only outward difference is the foam tray rather than a tool roll. But is it possible this is a lower quality Sidchrome set to get that price?

https://sydneytools.com.au/product/s...xoCrccQAvD_BwE

This is the generally available comparable set. Anyone bought the Bunnings one and can comment if it is legitimate 467 pro series spanners?

Hard to know. Neither model is listed on the Sidchrome website. It would seem both are named specifically for those retailers which is common ... impossible to price match a product which has no exact equal elsewhere!
    I would guess they are the same. Hard to believe they make a cheaper set just for one retailer but possible. Sidchrome have an enquiry form on their website. I'd be contacting them with your question. You may get the run around and vague answers or they may be upfront and tell you.
    Failing that, and dependent how keen you are to know, buy the Bunnings set, take one spanner to another retailer and tell them you are looking for matching spanners... compare them, weigh them both and you should get your answer.

Novice

Why not ask the team at Sydney tools why they are have a price difference?

Pro

3K Club Member

FWIW Bunnings, just like a lot of other outlets, sell items specific to them, so there will be differences in products, and as stated in the op , could it be the difference between the foam and tool roll ?

I have had items from Bunnings which, while not inferior, were different to items sold by other outlets.

Caveat Emptor buyer beware

Just noticed this if you spend over $500. Don't know the quality of Gearwrench but I did long ago snap a Sidchrome socket.

• Promotional period from 20th April until 30th June 2021 or while stocks last.
    • Spend $500 or more on any Gearwrench products in one transaction to receive upfront a 12pce Wrench Set (9620N).

Gearwrench Spend & Recieve Offer | Sydney Tools

Most of Bunnings is proprietry made products so you cant price match.

Some places have Stabila levels $30 cheaper

Cheapest prices everyday in their own stores only

Novice

That price match guarantee was always just hype. I took a quote in for a router exact make, model, part number when they first opened and the response was “this is a trade price” so they did not match or give me 10% off. I am not a trades person so in their view a “trade price” is any cheaper price on comparable items they stock.

Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestmount View Post
    That price match guarantee was always just hype. I took a quote in for a router exact make, model, part number when they first opened and the response was “this is a trade price” so they did not match or give me 10% off. I am not a trades person so in their view a “trade price” is any cheaper price on comparable items they stock.

Pro
    When they first started this 10% price match thing, I had similar issues, I think they copped a lot of flack for it.

Anything I have found cheaper elsewhere Bunnings have 10% beat it nowadays, then they go and quickly mark down the shelf item with an orange sticker for the duration of the competitors catalogue to match their price, which is fair enough.
    But they don't do it at all stores, so you can go to a neighbouring store and the price will be the old one, possibly they might do it on the computer so all Bunnings have the same price for that period. ??
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

If Bunnings arent the cheapest price then I dont buy off them. The cheapest price policy just undermines everyone else who is more competitive. Bunnings are not cheaper.

Bunnings have proprietry product so you cannot price match much the time.
    https://www.instagram.com/perth_bricklayer_wa

While on Bunnings I am very wary of their Ryobi cordless tools and price, not a lot less than the more premium variety. I already have an old Hitachi recip saw but saw what looked good at Aldi. Because of my terrific Aldi battery mower I thought for $50 I can't go wrong for their battery one. Quite happy with it works well, brushless, pendulum and quick release. It staggers me that bunnings dupe the unaware with over the top Ryobi pricing. Maybe it is a better recip saw but I'm not so sure. More than $200 difference!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aldi-recip-saw.jpg   ryobi-recip-saw.jpg  

2K Club Member

im amazed they can make that recipro , then ship from china , then aldi has to make a profit, all for $49. Are cordless tools really that cheap to manufacture. Of course it wont be anywhere near as good as a $400 milwaukee, but sheeeeet.

Quote Originally Posted by sol381 View Post
    im amazed they can make that recipro , then ship from china , then aldi has to make a profit, all for $49. Are cordless tools really that cheap to manufacture. Of course it wont be anywhere near as good as a $400 milwaukee, but sheeeeet.
    Yep, they are that cheap to make remember, cordless tool can be sent anywhere in the world because there is no power adapter requirements, so they can make 10,0000000000 of them

And that Ryobi for $259 IS A RIP OFF just for a skin

That Aldi thing probably cost $20 to make because it's made from jelly beans inside and sent to everyone from Aldi, to Harbour Freight to 1000 other cheap outlets, cost $6 per unit to ship because the CCP is subsidising the shipping cost, sell to aldi for $35 Aldi sell it for $49, so everyone makes their little bit of money, Aldi sell it for little profit as it brings people into the store who inevitably buy other stuff.

I know someone who use to work for a major retail outlet in the CBD who sold clothes and all manner of stuff, she said the mark-up on clothes was minimum 400%

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    While on Bunnings I am very wary of their Ryobi cordless tools and price, not a lot less than the more premium variety. I already have an old Hitachi recip saw but saw what looked good at Aldi. Because of my terrific Aldi battery mower I thought for $50 I can't go wrong for their battery one. Quite happy with it works well, brushless, pendulum and quick release. It staggers me that bunnings dupe the unaware with over the top Ryobi pricing. Maybe it is a better recip saw but I'm not so sure. More than $200 difference!
    That Ryobi is a rip off, and is what happens when you fall in to the "I'm stuck with Ryobi" problem because you have committed to the brand.
    You can buy any of the brand name skins below which will do a much better job than that Ryobi thing and still be going when the Ryobi has long died.

Better off, I always tell anyone who is considering a cipro, and doesn't intend to use it too much to get a 240V version, it should be still going in 10 years.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

2K Club Member

bloody hell. and here am i working for 20% profit and people complain.

Geeze, I missed seeing 5 year warranty on the Aldi one...oh and it's variable speed. Not much left to want!

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Geeze, I missed seeing 5 year warranty on the Aldi one...oh and it's variable speed. Not much left to want!
    You know the old saying, if it seems too good, it is, Guarantee when if breaks after a few goes, Aldi won't have them available anymore, so will probably refund it, or make you send it to somewhere in Botswana to be repaired never to be seen again.

bloody hell. and here am i working for 20% profit and people complain.
    If there's one thing I have learnt, some people complain if you make 1%, most people want everything for nothing, do they go to work and earn $0, I don't think so.

2K Club Member

100% right. think the Op is thinking what the hell has this post become.

100% right. think the Op is thinking what the hell has this post become.
    What OP

2K Club Member

indeed. think he left long before this went off the rails.

I personally wouldn't touch Sidchrome these days after buying a shifter recently. They don't have the quality they used to.
    Most people I know are either using the Bahco sets, kincrome or if have deep pockets Knipex.

Quote Originally Posted by doovalacky View Post
    I personally wouldn't touch Sidchrome these days after buying a shifter recently. They don't have the quality they used to.
    Most people I know are either using the Bahco sets, kincrome or if have deep pockets Knipex.
    I have a few older Australian Made Sidchromes, still going and look like new, and a newer deep socket Kincrome which is a nice set.
    I like the Bahco stuff, have the ratchet ring spanner set, its very nice as it has 4 sizes on one tool which is really handy, so the small velcro pouch has 3 spanners but you get 12 sizes

Bahco cases are a bit plastic junky, the latch has busted off one of them which is disappointing as the spanners are very nicely made and not that old

Ask your local mechanic when is the Snap on truck coming, and pay once for quality tool. In my opinion.
    Alternatively, buy a second hand set in good nick
    Gumtree is full of ads, here is one.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hele...ing/1276108225
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect
    Mark Twain