Cheap electric hoists?

Default Cheap electric hoists?

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the cheap electric hoists. Are they any good?

http://www.realsmart.com.au/electric...FYMIvAodgycATA

Bought one like this some years back, works well but seldom used. Wanted to make a lift with it.

Default Re: Cheap electric hoists?

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Bought one like this some years back, works well but seldom used. Wanted to make a lift with it.
    Thanks good to know, what type of lift were you planning to make?

I have a heap of heavy stuff I want to get upstairs, skylights, slate etc.... I think one of these would work well setup in an empty scaffolding bay.

Quote Originally Posted by paddyjoy View Post

I have a heap of heavy stuff I want to get upstairs, skylights, slate etc.... I think one of these would work well setup in an empty scaffolding bay.
    In my moment of madness I was keen to set up a passenger lift between floors but the fun police made it all too hard. It would have been safe but I doubt I would have been believed

Novice

Bought a 250/500KG size one from Deals Direct about six years ago. Mounted it on a swivel arm on a steel post in my shed. Works ok, but haven't used it for a while because too much junk under it. However have used it to lift ride on mowers, and unloading from a ute or trailer etc. Plenty of wire rope on drum to lift fairly high so should work in a scaffold bay.

I keep a weight attached to the hook to help the wire wind on or off the drum neatly when not lifting anything as otherwise it gets a bit tangled.

Golden Member

Have you considered getting a manual hoist? it is easier to control and easier to install.

...........but the fun police made it all too hard.
    Ha ha would have been an interesting project!

Quote Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
    Bought a 250/500KG size one from Deals Direct about six years ago. Mounted it on a swivel arm on a steel post in my shed. Works ok, but haven't used it for a while because too much junk under it. However have used it to lift ride on mowers, and unloading from a ute or trailer etc. Plenty of wire rope on drum to lift fairly high so should work in a scaffold bay.

I keep a weight attached to the hook to help the wire wind on or off the drum neatly when not lifting anything as otherwise it gets a bit tangled.
    Thanks for the info sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by justonething View Post
    Have you considered getting a manual hoist? it is easier to control and easier to install.
    Not really, do you think it is worth considering? They seem much harder to come by, lots for sale in the US but not much here.

Wow, that's hoist is cheap!

Yes it is very cheap. All I know about hoists is that they need a brake mechanism that must work every time in order to make them safe. I know that a low price is not necessarily an indication of poor quality but as a blanket rule it is. A winch or a hoist to lift people would need to be 200% safe and I doubt you can trust a $75 hoist to do that.
    I may be wrong though.
    “In the fields of observation chance favors only the prepared mind.”
    Louis Pasteur

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    A winch or a hoist to lift people would need to be 200% safe and I doubt you can trust a $75 hoist to do that.
    I may be wrong though.
    No hoist, no matter the cost, would be considered 200% safe for what I had in mind. There's a whole raft of other measures that must be employed to satisfy the safety regime.

Yes I know I looked into it to overcome a 3 story set of stairs that go to my backyard.
    Talking about safety, this is set to send the safety nazis bezerk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP-81HY33X0
    Louis Pasteur

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Yes I know I looked into it to overcome a 3 story set of stairs that go to my backyard.
    Talking about safety, this is set to send the safety nazis bezerk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP-81HY33X0
    That's brilliant, they look so proud of their work.

That's awesome ... not sure I'd be too comfortable facing backwards down the stairs though.

The best yet not necessarily the easiest way to build a home elevator is a water powered one. You can do it with a water tank filled by a pump as counterweight to the actual lift box, or you can have the lift supported by a float inside a pipe deep under the ground pushing the lift up or down according to the level of the water in the shaft.
    Louis Pasteur

Yes, they do look very proud. That is actually a good stand up lift, forget the chair.
    Louis Pasteur

Just needs to get the draw cable off the steps and it would be perfect

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the cheap electric hoists. Are they any good?
    I have one from the same clone factory and so far it has done all I have asked of it. For the price it has payed for itself many times over, saving me lugging concrete up the stairs and has made lifting steel beams very easy.

The cable jumps around a bit as it winds onto the drum but it is not a big problem and I want to extend the pendant control cable as soon as I find my reel of four core cable. As for longevity, that remains to be seen but I have already got my money out of it. I wouldn't trust my life with it however

Check out my go to whoa if you want to see a picture of the unit I have.
    Tools are good, more tools are better!

Quote Originally Posted by Belair_Boy View Post
    I have one from the same clone factory and so far it has done all I have asked of it. For the price it has payed for itself many times over, saving me lugging concrete up the stairs and has made lifting steel beams very easy.

The cable jumps around a bit as it winds onto the drum but it is not a big problem and I want to extend the pendant control cable as soon as I find my reel of four core cable. As for longevity, that remains to be seen but I have already got my money out of it. I wouldn't trust my life with it however

Check out my go to whoa if you want to see a picture of the unit I have.
    Thanks it's a good setup you have with it, I imagine that would have saved you heaps of time.

I decided to go ahead and buy one tonight, I need to lift a 120kg skylight up 6m so I decided to get the 250/500kg model ($134). Thought it might be cutting it a bit fine lifting 120kg with the 125kg rated version, especially with $3k of glass on the wire, literally.

I also have 6t of slate that needs to come up 8m from the garden to the roof so this will really help.

Thanks it's a good setup you have with it, I imagine that would have saved you heaps of time.

I decided to go ahead and buy one tonight, I need to lift a 120kg skylight up 6m so I decided to get the 250/500kg model ($134). Thought it might be cutting it a bit fine lifting 120kg with the 125kg rated version, especially with $3k of glass on the wire, literally.

I also have 6t of slate that needs to come up 8m from the garden to the roof so this will really help.
    Do some test lifting runs first before risking anything expensive.

For some reason this one reminds me oa a portaloo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W92vFzXAEtw

This one is impressive, and lifts up to 181Kg,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8D0VRsnlBM

If I had a $3K skylight I would be getting the manufacturer to be lifting and installing it, not worth risking that much money possibly breaking it,
    Post some pics of it in use, and what type of glass is it at $3k ?

Do some test lifting runs first before risking anything expensive.
    I think I have some spare kids around the place that would love a ride on it ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    For some reason this one reminds me oa a portaloo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W92vFzXAEtw
    Ha ha I agree, you would want to lock that room if you were having a party, could easily be mistaken for a toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    If I had a $3K skylight I would be getting the manufacturer to be lifting and installing it, not worth risking that much money possibly breaking it,
    Post some pics of it in use, and what type of glass is it at $3k ?
    The glass component of it is probably worth around $1,500, the rest of the cost was in the flashing, frame, extrusions, delivery etc... The glass is a low E argon double glazed unit, self cleaning, toughened and laminated 10.76mm/argon/6mm 3000mmx800mm. It's bloody big and ackward. It would be great if the manufacturer could install it however no one is interested in doing it without a crane, and to use a crane here you have to close the street down, costs an absolute fortune. The manufacturer will help me do the final install if I can get it up there, after he visited our place he jokingly said he was going to change his phone number after he left.

I'll definitely get some pics once I get it up and running.

dsc_0134.jpg

The manufacturer will help me do the final install if I can get it up there, after he visited our place he jokingly said he was going to change his phone number after he left.
    Haha, good to see he has a sense of humour.

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

Default Cheap electric hoists?

You going to need more than some Chinese knock off hoists to get that up

Glass suckers and team of guys is the way to go adjust scaffold bays to pass up in sections

Or use a very very large truck mounted crane like construction rescues have you don't need to close road for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
    Glass suckers and team of guys is the way to go
    Yes I know this would be great, I could sit back and watch them do it ha ha Getting it in off the street with just two of us was a challenge in itself.

Unfortunately because it needs to go right at the back of the house you need at least a 14m boom which means outriggers extended even on the small cranes, blocking the road. It's a shame my old neighbour sold his house as he was pretty accommodating and let me use his driveway.

It's not something you can use a wind up duct lifter for is it? I hired two of them to lift a large beam when I couldn't fit a crane.

Maybe consider building a timber crate for it with some foam absorbing packing, enough to protect the glass from accidental knocks. The hoist you bought would probably be fine, secured well. You could also use a safety rope configured for manual control, in any event of failure.

Quote Originally Posted by OBBob View Post
    It's not something you can use a wind up duct lifter for is it? I hired two of them to lift a large beam when I couldn't fit a crane.
    Thanks for the suggestion yes this is one option I looked at, you can hire them out from kennards

KENNARDS HIRE - Genie Hoist 5.5m

They seem like they would be extremely handy however unfortunately one wouldn't fit sideways down the side of our house. I thought about using one inside also however I have a similar issue where the cut out for the stairs is up against a wall so the lifter can't get in directly under the opening (if that makes sense)

Maybe consider building a timber crate for it with some foam absorbing packing, enough to protect the glass from accidental knocks. The hoist you bought would probably be fine, secured well. You could also use a safety rope configured for manual control, in any event of failure.
    Good idea will think about this, wouldn't want any accidental gouges in the glass.

Expensive crane failure, think those are worth about $8million

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyIrsZ7Zhs

Gave the hoist a bit of a test run at the weekend, lifted up a 45kg and 65kg velux. Couldn't really take a video or get many pictures during the process as it was a bit fiddly. You need one person at the bottom guiding the load and then the person operating the hoist needs to also make sure the cable winds back on correctly, otherwise it tends to bunch up on one side and dramatically hop off, causing the load to drop a couple of centimetres.

When I lift the big one I'll get a few people extra people over to help!

Had some 1 ton bags under the house that turned out to be pretty useful!

dsc_0190.jpgdsc_0191.jpg

Hey... all the houses on your street have severe subsidence on the right!

Glad the test run worked... obviously you won't let any helpers get under the load I hope.

Hey... all the houses on your street have severe subsidence on the right!
    Yeah it's a pain for deliveries, last week getting some timber delivered in the wet the truck driver spent a few minutes skidding around on the hill then gave up, came back later when the truck was lighter.

obviously you won't let any helpers get under the load I hope.
    Ha ha of course not!

At least you have drainage!