Chisel extension

Default Chisel extension

I bought an Ozito rotary hammer drill that came with a chisel and with its hammering function (without drilling) makes it a handy little jack hammer.

I need to dig a hole (foundation footings) and I suspect I might experience more rock than soil. The standard length chisel will get me going, but once the hole starts to get deeper I might need a longer chisel. Has anyone had any experience lengthening a standard chisel? I was thinking of cutting a standard chisel and welding an extension between the two ends.

Things that occur to me: The tool steel will not weld well to mild steel; if it welds okay the resultant chisel which won't be straight due to the welding might bend easily; the extra chisel weight might damage the machine. But, I don't know. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried something like this.

I tried welding an extension into a cut chisel and it broke at the weld in 5 mins. A better welder could probably do it but it might not be worth the trouble. Yours probably is SDS spline and Total Tools in Fyshwick have a range of chisels in that size but if you only have a few holes then you might be able to make them wide enough to get the whole machine in the hole.

Thanks for the tip. A slightly wider hole might be the go.

..... to get the whole machine in the hole.
    Just be careful when you have the machine down the hole that you don't suck dirt in the motor. These Ozito rotary hammers run at high revs and some dirt can cause the fan to disintegrate, I know from experience. My first Ozito rotary hammer met with this fate, the fan exploded and broke the plastic vents around it, rather painful as my arm caught the flying shrapnel.
    Tools are good, more tools are better!

Good point. While you mention safety, the side handle grip is standard RH thread. I had occasion to stop work, and shove something out the way with my right hand. Thus holding the machine with my left hand only. The weight of the machine caused it to rotate (pivot) on the side handle. Not that that's an issue but it sent the chisel end upward with the point coming abruptly to a stop by resting on my safety goggles. it happened as quick as a flash. I'm glad I didn't shove my goggles onto my forehead as I often do otherwise I might be less one eye.