Dewalt Table Saw Better Buy?

Default Dewalt Table Saw Better Buy?

Hello guys!

I'm trying to start my DIY wood shop and wondering if for the same price, would the corded DeWALT 1850W 254mm Table Saw be better that the cordless DeWALT 54V 210mm Flexvolt Cordless Table Saw With Batteries?

4cf7ee4f-f643-48c7-ac97-1ca6a56fa81b.jpg vs 2b15f490-4310-47f6-939d-d686eff87536.jpg

I have no Dewalt tools yet so I'm curious and looking for guidance. Thanks!

Golden Member

Default Dewalt Table Saw Better Buy?

Corded for sure! Torque, run time plus cut depth all = corded.
    ====

Neither, those are toys. Buy a proper "contractor" table saw
    https://www.carbatec.com.au/machiner...esaws/ts-j315c
    Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones.
    Seneca

Yep I just bought a saw stop 12" saw. Cuts straight and accurate straight out of the box.

Those are more jobsite saws, depends what you mean by woodwork business, but any fine carpentry you'll want a more accurate saw. But I would get the corded version for sure. Can't be too many times you want have access to power that a 20m extension lead wont reach
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

It depends on how much space you have available and are willing to allocate for a saw table. If you want something that you can move around, that is reasonably compact. A secondhand Triton 2000 Workcentre could be worth considering. You can usually pick one up from gumtree at fair price (been there done that).
    I most certainly agree with what has already been said. Battery saws are a jobsite thing. DIY home workshop 240v.

You are more likely to get a broader spectrum of answers and comments of people that have been through the phase that you are at if you post this thread on the
    Woodwork Forum (you know, the sister site to this one).

If you are patient, keep an eye on Gumtree and ebay, woodworking machines come up from time to time. Folks give up the hobby and sell cheap.
    Seneca

As someone with a Triton router table, and soon to be cast iron top router I would steer away from the work centers
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

2K Club Member

As someone that makes stuff for markets for fun and profit do not buy the Dewalt. You will outgrow it in a few months...and then get pennies in the dollar when you upgrade.
    I made do with a Triton for 15 odd years and then one day scaled up to a sliding table saw with 12" for $1500 including the dust collector. My work style is quite piecemeal so going back and forth drove me mad so I did not do as much as I could...

My local mate and mechanic just found an admittedly old but rarely used https://www.carbatec.com.au/machiner...ode-ts-12r-3ph for $600 in single phase...
    and a cast iron router table on legs with router for 400 and a 6" jointer for the same... from the one guy...
    Seems like fellows fall in love with the idea of woodwork, and them some years on after having done not much, sell the gear off. The table saw had a blade that was square to the slots with no play and is dead on 90 degrees when you hit the stop...blade in it is a $300 Leitz and a bit dodgy through non use...
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post
    Seems like fellows fall in love with the idea of woodwork, and them some years on after having done not much, sell the gear off.
    ... or underestimate the dedication required, the noise and mess it makes, how difficult it is to sell at a profit, the danger to the self thought etc
    Seneca

2K Club Member

The dewalt portaable will hold value better than that - I tried to buy the decent one second hand and gave up because they were getting within $200 of new price.

the dewalt is nice for fast setup with the dial for width rather than measure - I processed around 400 lengths of recycled hardwood in the back yard - enough to fill 3 wizbins with sawdust. The main downside being the curious arbor size and because the base is plastic it wears quickly compared to the polished thick stainless contractor saws , but the speed and accuracy of the width control sure saves a lot of time.

oh, and donít even think about tha battery unit if you are doing hardwood, especially not for a workshop

I have this and the cordless Dewalt, both very different uses but both very good

Thanks guys! I'm happy that I had a lot of new inputs and sad that I'm now back to square one...again