Drill driver combo which one to choose?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Drill driver combo which one to choose?

Hi there,
    I have some xmas money to spend and are looking at a new drill/driver combo and hav narrowed it down to the following options

Hitachi

https://adelaidetools.com.au/special...c1964a51391396

Or

Makita
    https://adelaidetools.com.au/cordles...t-dlx2002.html

Obviously the battery size is better on the hitachi but are there any other pros/cons for one or the other.
    Thanks in advance
    Phil
    Last edited by Philandcas; 29th Dec 2015 at 09:56 PM. Reason: formatting

Probably much of a muchness between these two. I'd recommend going down to the store and have a looksee and feel.

Metrix will be here soon enough

Accident free since yesterday

Both those kits your considering look good, looks like the Hitachi may have a heavy battery ?

As UB said, best thing is to go try them, in the store, some tools are better balanced than others.
    Another consideration, is to look at what other skins you may want to purchase and which manufacturer makes what you might want in the future, and the price of the skins.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

I was going to say Milwaukee ... but it is dearer than that. About $600 or so.
    “In the fields of observation chance favors only the prepared mind.”
    Louis Pasteur

We have some makita cordless brush-less stuff at work and have not had any issues, it is my perception that it is better quality than the hitachi just from feel of using a couple of tools they were the older model though. I have Milwaukee at home and love it, really surprised at that price difference, I wonder why? Just bigger margins or better warranty?

Default Drill driver combo which one to choose?

The Makita comes with the 20 min charger which is good, maybe just check the specs on the Hitachi model. Probably all comes down to feel really, get your mitts on them and have a play. Make sure your happy with the forward/reverse switch position stuff like that, I don't know about Milwaukee, they seem to get pretty ratty looking and noisey after 6 months and see a lot of em sitting on the shelf at my local trade shop waiting for repairs. Might just be because they sell a lot of them, or Makita owners just chuck there's out not bothering to get them fixed.
    I had a life, but my job ate it...

1K Club Member

This is my usual rave on this subject... Following on from Metrix, look at what skins are available for each make. Skins are quite cheap so you will buy more toys. The "marketing trick" is to get you into the battery/charger system, once you have that you will buy their skins. I settled on Bosch Blue some time ago but I must say that my recent looks at Makita suggest that they have got their act together again after producing some questionable stuff for a while. Re battery size, unless you are using the tool constantly throughout the day a 3Ah should be fine (I have 2Ah and my kit came with a couple of extra 1.5Ah just in case I run out of puff).

Two other things to consider re batteries... bigger batteries mean heavier which means lugging a heavy six-shooter around, and check their shape re standing up when you have a long tool (say long masonary drill or speed bit) in the drill. I was working with a builder who uses Makita (don't they all). His drill tended to fall over when he put it down as the front edge of the battery (i.e. the fulcrum point) was just forward of the trigger whereas mine was a bit further forward and my drill stood up when we were using the same long speed bits. It isn't a big issue but it is a bit of a pain if you are putting down and picking up frequently (think fall over and roll off the work area onto the concrete below).

Quote Originally Posted by chalkyt View Post
    I was working with a builder who uses Makita (don't they all). His drill tended to fall over when he put it down as the front edge of the battery (i.e. the fulcrum point) was just forward of the trigger whereas mine was a bit further forward and my drill stood up when we were using the same long speed bits. It isn't a big issue but it is a bit of a pain if you are putting down and picking up frequently (think fall over and roll off the work area onto the concrete below).
    I think this is a very good point. If the drill stands up, it is convenient to work with.

Apprentice (new member)

I recently got a Milwaukee Combo Kit of the Gen 2 18V Li-Ion Hammer Drill and impact driver and they are great. The impact is not heavy at all. Great to use and powerful. Also if you get the 18V combo the charger also can charge the 12V batteries. The 12 V tools are great if you are worried about tools being too big. And you dont need to buy an extra charger either. A great way to go if you can fork out the little extra for the Milwaukee combo. Cheers & Happy new year.

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    I think this is a very good point. If the drill stands up, it is convenient to work with.
    I have a Makita set, 18v 3a and it does stand up no problem unless of course you have a one foot long 12" drill bit on it. Drill should not stand on it's battery anyway unless you are working on a bench. Flat on one side every time on a building site or hanging from your belt

Milwaukee is a slightly better unit but not for that reason.
    “In the fields of observation chance favors only the prepared mind.”
    Louis Pasteur

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I have a Makita set, 18v 3a and it does stand up no problem unless of course you have a one foot long 12" drill bit on it. Drill should not stand on it's battery anyway unless you are working on a bench. Flat on one side every time on a building site or hanging from your belt

Milwaukee is a slightly better unit but not for that reason.
    You are right Marc. I never risk a drill falling over from balancing on its battery as stable as it is. A small bump and over she goes which is not good with a hole saw or the like in the drill, especially on kitchen bench tops, (should be covered, but?) flooring, etc

Just a thought about spare parts, you can get Makita parts from local dealers , Hitachi I believe you can only get by ordering from the big green house

That one isn't brushless Phil, this is the compareable Milwaukee to what the OP is looking at in Hitachi/Makita:

https://sydneytools.com.au/milwaukee...less-combo-kit

Apprentice (new member)

7K Club Member

Brushless? If OP Phil is an 'infrequent DIYer', I defy him to wear out decent 'non-brushless' (or is that 'brushed'?) gear in his lifetime.

I think the advantage of the brushless is more the reduced weight/size and increased torque (I have/used both Milwaukee brushed and Brushless) not sure on the actual weights but by comparison the brushless are much lighter and easier to use.

7K Club Member

That's a good point. Lots of great deals on earlier models though