Extension lead for compressor.

Novice

Default Extension lead for compressor.

I was wondering if someone can tell me where to get an extension lead that is ok to use for a compressor? The compressor is Black Ridge 2.5HP 40L.

I know it clearly states in the manual to plug it directly in the power point. Not via an extension lead. But I know that all this is about the the voltage drop on the cable and the current through the motor. If the voltage drop is is acceptable it will be ok.

The trade grade extension leads have 1.5mm sq conductors. This is far from the 2.5mm sq leading to the power point on the wall, but is it good enough for a compressor? Are there extension leads with 2.5mm sq conductors?

I am not really keen on making one myself because I prefer the ruggedness of the moulded plugs and sockets on the commercially available ones.

Any help is appreciated.

rrobor

I doubt if it will make much difference, but if its a concern to you, why dont you make a small adapter box and use 2 leads. That would give you 3mm rather than 2.5.

Novice

I don't want to complicate things without a reason. Do you think the 1.5mm will be sufficient?

Frankly I'd just buy another length of air hose.....in fact......I did! Actually I bought two 10m lengths.

About the same price as a decent 15amp lead...which'd be the minimum you'd need anyway
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

Novice

I don't have power in the garage right now and I need an extension lead as a temporary measure for the next few months.

rrobor

As a temp measure it should be OK. It will be a 10A cable. Roughly on run you are using 8A so its within the specs of the cable, startup will give it a kick but I wouldnt get stressed on these numbers on a intermittent use external cable.

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

My 2 cents worth, and I'm not a sparkie, but if your going to use an extension lead for this make sure it's fully uncoiled to help prevent any heat build up. You can also buy 15 amp leads.

I think you are thinking about it too much, I use a 2.5hp compressor almost every day and always on a lead sometimes on 2 (1 lead running to the safety switch box, then another to the compressor) just don't but $18 leads from bumrings and you will be fine.

Every builder / Carpenter in Australia does this every day. Will it shorten the life of the compressor? Maybe but I still get years out of a compressor that gets used all day every day.

Novice

Thanks for your help. I am off to buy a cable then.

Golden Member

How can you be sure a 15amp cable is in fact 15amp? - other than 'fat plastic sheath' is there makings to look for on the sheath itself?
    David L
    "A dedicated amateur will always do a better job than a slap dash professional"

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat2 View Post
    How can you be sure a 15amp cable is in fact 15amp? - other than 'fat plastic sheath' is there makings to look for on the sheath itself?
    If it's a manufactured 15 amp lead it will have a bigger earth pin on it.

You can buy leads that have 15a cable with 10a plugs. This still only gives you a 10a cable but with less voltage loss.

Novice

That's right. There are Utilux extension leads at Bunnings rated at 15A with 10A plug and socket.
    The conductors in the cable are 1.5mm sq. There are 1.5mm sq markings on the cable sheath and on the bag the extension lead is sold in.