Good quality tool set

Experienced

Default Good quality tool set

Hi, just after a 200-300 piece tool box set and noticed there are a lot of new brands popping up. I always liked Sidchrome to be a good quality brand, is there any other good quality brands out there that make tool sets?

Thanks,

Clay.

I used to be a motor mechanic and got fed up paying mega bucks for snap on stuff, then repco came out with a copy. Its cheap, good quality and doesnt hurt so much when you loose a spanner or have to cut one up as a special tool. Good waranty aswell. There are heaps of top quality brands but you do pay a fortune for them. The repco stuff is bloody good quality for the money.

2K Club Member

yep, i agree with repco brand, pretty good for me as well, i havent broken any of their stuff yet and its had a daily hammering and not too expensive.
    i only have one snapon socket, its an 8mm 6 sided for undoing rocker arms on ford falcon 6's as im always doing heads on them things they are that crappy. broken it 2 times with a breaker bar on the end and they have replaced it no questions asked twice.

Apprentice (new member)

kincrome is pretty good mate, i will say though i managed to break my vise grips. i broke the weld in the front grip and the head went all loose. but i dont think i filled out the warrenty card, or i may have lost it.

Apprentice (new member)

Depends on your usage really...trade quality I would go for the above mentioned brands; I use European tools myself (German/Swedish or English)

Sidchrome changed their warranty policy a while ago but are still a good buy (used to be like Snap On)

Repco are a good for light to medium type of work

I wouldn't hesitate in using the repco stuff for full blown trade use. I did for the last 5 years I was in the auto trade. Sure some of there spanners are not as fine in build quality as stuff like starwillie etc.. but they are a third of the price. I have specialty spanners for certian jobs that are not repco, but for every spanner that needed replacing for general duties, the repco's were perfectly fine. I reckon you spend the good money on critical things like allen keys and torx drivews where bad quality results in burred bolts.

Total Tools brand is also very good. I'm pretty sure it's lifetime warranty as well. Repco is really good as well. I have one of their socket sets and it seems good.

I'm not a big fan of Kinchrome as I have a few of their tools and they aren't very good. I'm a bit cynical and think any majors brands sold in Bunnings is a bit cut price.

I also have some German stuff - Bahco which is really good but exxy.

I even have some SuperworksGold tools from SuperCheapAuto. They have a lifetime warranty, is quite cheap and has received good reports in other forums. I think they have rebranded it to Calibre but still have the reported lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherLeft View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Kinchrome as I have a few of their tools and they aren't very good. I'm a bit cynical and think any majors brands sold in Bunnings is a bit cut price.

I also have some German stuff - Bahco which is really good but exxy.
    That's the funny thing - Bunnings stock Bahco!

I've got two different Bahco socket sets, got them on recommendation of a few people, and I reckon they're absolutely brilliant for the price I paid. The Sidchrome stuff at the green B was priced way higher than the Bahco, so that made me happy, and thus far it's been brilliant gear in my personal opinion.

Yeah it's a bit odd they sell good quality stuff as well.

Is Trojan their homebrand?

3K Club Member

I recently bought a 94 piece Bahco set from Bunnings. Looks and feels exactly the same as Snap-On, and IMO a level above Sidchrome of today (but perhaps not better than Sidchrome of old) Much better value than Sidchrome or Snap-On. I think the price per piece was under $3!

JustTools has them for $249: Bahco 94pce Socket & Mechanical Set. #S87+7

woodbe.

Tex
    Apprentice (new member)

I have had a few sets, My favourite has to be my Teng Tools. They dont cost the earth and come with a lifetime warranty.
    I have had a 3/4 Breaker bar trying to remove some rusty old bolts and NEVER broken a socket. If you look at Teng Tools Australia you should be able to pick up a nice set.
    If your anywhere near North Essendon, Auto 1 had a good start up set VERY cheap cant remember the cost as I had most of the tools.

Cheers
    Tex

Bahco was at one stage called Sandvik and at one stage was incorporated with Snap On !! They do make bloody good tools !