Impact Drivers & Makita 18V BTD142SHE

Default Impact Drivers & Makita 18V BTD142SHE

I was looking around for a cordless drill and this forum convinced me to buy an impact driver instead. I have never had much experience with impact drivers but seeing as I want a cordless mainly for screws, the impact driver seemed the logical choice.

It seems not many people actually are aware of how fantastic these things are. Most people seem to instinctively go out and buy cordless drills and dismiss impact drivers altogether. I'm certainly glad I didn't because my DIY world has changed after buying the impact driver.

I bought the Makita 18V BTD142SHE. I was immediately impressed that I could sink a 10G 100mm long batten screw flush through the end of a 30 year old piece of hardwood without pre drilling a pilot hole. This is simply something that is impossible with a drill. Gone are the days of stripped phillip head screws and fumbling around for the right drill bit for the pilot hole. I should have bought one of these things years ago.

Put simply, if you do a lot of DIY handyman type of stuff, buy a cordless impact driver.

The Makita 142 is a good tool. Nice feel. But be warned, the kit comes with 2x 1.3Ah batteries. (The older ones came with 1.5ah batteries, but apparently Makita has downgraded them to 1.3ah after testing them). The battery life quite crap if you are doing heavier work.

If you want to fork out an extra $250 (around $580) you can get the better BTD144 model that has 2x 3ah batteries, but that was a bit much for me. Instead I will opt to put up with the 1.3ah batteries and buy an extra 3ah battery separetly.

Thought I'd share.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...

Apprentice (new member)

About 2 years ago i bought a makita 7 tool combo from the states, which had driver/hammer drill, power saw, sabre saw, grinder, radio, torch and heavy duty carry bag and of course the unbelievable impact driver plus 2 x 3ah batteries. The whole kit cost me about $1000 incl postage from the states, i just had to get the 240v charger as it came with a 110v charger and inverter which are not permitted on building sites. I am a builder so all of the tools get a lot of use especially the impact drill it cops a hiding virtually every day, they have miles of torque so there is almost nothing it cant do. The one issue is you need to be prepared to buy a lot more driver bits, i think i have snapped more tips of my phillips head bits in the last 2 years than i had in my previous 18 years of my building life.
    As you said Gooner they are one of the best tools you could own, i couldnt live without mine.

Another convert....good one Gooner
    Steve

Live while you're alive and sleep when you're dead

Not sure if the deal is still available, but Panasonic were offering a 12v drill and impact driver with the lithium ion for about $ 600inc. I have the old 12v impact and its been great.they are 3.5ah batteries and a nice balance and weight

you have done well with the two 1.3ah battery's as they keep the weight of the driver down. just means you cycle thru them alot more than the 3ah

the 3ah battery's are heavy,and are designed more for the heavy power draw of the other cordless tools such as the grinder and circular saw.

best money spent this year was the 18v makita kit. i am getting the itch to add to the collection

Hi

Anyone end up buying one of these:

Makita TD0101F Impact Driver 240V (TD-0101-F)

Bunnings got for $99.00 down from $129 a few months ago, i reckon they are a bargain for DIYer's
    Thanks

i went to bunnings today

i had a look at the bosch 14.4V Ni-Cad Bosch 14.4 V PDR Impact Cordless Drill

FEATURES
    No load speed: 0 2600 rpm
    Impact rate: 0 3000 rpm
    Charge time: 20 min
    Battery voltage: 14.4
    Max Torque: 130 Nm
    Battery: 1.5 Ah
    Torque setting: 25 + 1
    Weight: 1.7 kg

it was $220

Im looking at getting one for any future jobs ive got planned around the house
    so at the moment im waiting for a sale but thought it would ask if anyone has used one and what they thought

i would prefer a cordless over corded

Quote Originally Posted by myla View Post
    Hi

Bunnings got for $99.00 down from $129 a few months ago, i reckon they are a bargain for DIYer's
    Thanks
    one of the assemblers at work has one, he loves it for factory assembly work. great if you have no site/portability issues.

Dear Gooner & Co.,

What are these babies like at low RPM?

I ask the question, because I've noticed that they all seem to have fairly high max-RPM values, which doesn't seem to "gel" very well with their much-lauded ability for screwing and unscrewing...

For example, that little corded Mak that Myla mentioned has a max-RPM figure of something like 2300rpm. And I'm not certain either whether or not it even has a variable-speed Trigger-switch, because Makita doesn't seem to have any pages on their website about it. The typical application that I would find it very handy for, would be to undo the old painted-over screws that you usually find on old window-catches and latches that you're trying to remove. Drills with slot-head Bits in them usually just make a mess of the heads of such screws. But whilst the hammering action of an Impact Driver sounds like it would be very useful, their high RPM doesn't sound like the way to go at all...

Another application that I could really use one for right now, is the removal of a sheared-off Coach-Screw that I broke when trying to fix a bracket to an old petrified hardwood stud in the Laundry downstairs (yes, I drilled a pilot-hole, and used Vaseline...). I would obviously have to use a Screw-Extractor style Bit, but again I would have thought that low RPM was going to be the way to go...

So, do they have any grunt down at low RPM? Your thoughts please Gentlemen...

Many Thanks,
    Batpig.

it has a variable speed trigger, and works much like the cordless version. The assembler uses it all day everyday driving 45mm chipboard screws for kitchen carcase assembly.

For the budget concerned, Ryobi make a very capable 18V Impact Driver which sells for about $199 - it has only 15 Nm less torque than the 18V Makita.
    A chippie friend of mine in Sydney says loads of tradies are using these as the price is fantastic and they last.

Dear GCP,

Thanks for that. Yes, I might end up getting myself one after all. I was able to get that broken Coach Screw out today by removing the piece of timber that was being fastened to the studs, and then getting at the bit of shank thus-exposed with a Pipe Wrench. But I'd still like something that made short work of those rotten-old, painted-over, slot-headed, window-catch screws. One of these little Mak's might be just the thing...

Best Wishes,
    Batpig.

Quote Originally Posted by myla View Post
    Hi

Thanks
    Ended up buying one today. I just couldnt help myself for $99
    i would have perfered the cordless one but as i wont be using it everyday
    i thought it would be better just to get the corded one

and from the little work i did today i an very impressed i just wish i bought it before the bathroom reno

but i will give it a good workout this week as im putting up a wall at work and will be doing a bit of framing

Default Im a convert

Hi Batpig...

Im new to this forum (tonight actually )), and thought i would share.
    I have a makita 18v. Owned it for about 6 months now. LOVE IT!!!!!
    I used it on the first day to install roof sheeting, through colorbond into old hardwood battens. No predrilling...excellent variable speed control for the start of each screw (ie, easy to start slow to start the self drilling tip of the hex screws). Drives super fast, then seems to almost self reduce speed as the impact action takes up.
    I put up 20 odd sheets of 2.4m length, with no predrilling of sheets, and into the hardwood, all on the one charge. didnt even 'look' like slowing down. 2 batteries came with the makita, and they have a rapid charger that only takes 20 mins from flat anyway!

Have since used it lining a shed, cabinetry, general repairs etc etc. Works well on backing out stripped screws, or painted in or stubborn screws. My only issue is the noise of the impact function (think rattle gun in a garage removing wheel nuts). So...wear earplugs, and drive screws with confidence