Level

3K Club Member

Default Level

Time to get a new long level.

Reckon Bunnings would have something/decent brand worth buying?

I wonder if they stock the shelves carefully and if customers handle them carefully.

Default Level

I bought one from masters 2 m $30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    cheers Look out if I have a tape measure in my hand.....I'm upto something

Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    Time to get a new long level.

Reckon Bunnings would have something/decent brand worth buying?

I wonder if they stock the shelves carefully and if customers handle them carefully.
    Bunnings have Stabila levels, which have a good rep. Fairly sure the the care level of staff and customers is reasonably low when handling. That said, they should be pretty robust these days and I'm not sure what alternative would provide confidence that the tool had been looked after all the way from production to your purchase.

Metrix posted up a very nice looking, extremely robust level recently ... but I can't find it now.

3K Club Member

The one I have is a Stabila. Bought it second hand at a market and it's served well through quite a few knocks and drops. That would be my choice to replace if they still have the reputation.

As always, especially with cheap levels, check 'em before buying by checking the bubble then turn it around. The bubble should be in the same spot in both orientations.

I was once in Bunnings and a lady was looking at levels. Me being my usual helpful self (and the fact she was pretty ) I asked her what she was going to be using it for. Hanging pictures was her answer. I managed to save her a few bucks by showing her the built-in level in her iPhone

Still wish self calibrating levels were available as once were!

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    That'd be nice. Will go to Bunnings today and see if they have something of quality. Got a few tools to buy today.

Golden Member

Default Level

I have a Stabila 2 m level that has been used on site for about 12 or so years. It lives in a tube on the top of my ute and admittedly the vial at one end is out but the other is still spot on. I have an arrow painted on it so the accurate vial is at the top. When this level is due for replacement I will be getting another Stabila. As uncle bob said always check before purchase.

Cabinetmaker

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Just bought a Bosch Professional 1200mm with the digital readout. Leveling kicks today, i was going cross eyed looking at my fatmax level bubbles.
    find us on facebook - Pitman Cabinetmaking
    follow us on Instagram - PITMAN_CABINETMAKING

Quote Originally Posted by Pitto View Post
    Just bought a Bosch Professional 1200mm with the digital readout. Leveling kicks today, i was going cross eyed looking at my fatmax level bubbles.
    Is it this one?
    Bosch 120cm Digital Inclinometer And Spirit Level DNM 120L | Get Tools Direct

3K Club Member

I saw another inclinometer/spirit level in Bunnings yesterday but can't remember the brand. Interesting but too short for what I was after. Got the 2m Stabila for $147.25. The floor in Bunnings was pretty level, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    I saw another inclinometer/spirit level in Bunnings yesterday but can't remember the brand. Interesting but too short for what I was after. Got the 2m Stabila for $147.25. The floor in Bunnings was pretty level, by the way.
    If your serious about a level, Stabila is the starting point, although I also have a nice 2m Fatmax.

Unfortunately my stabila has suffered some bad falls, from roof etc, but they still come up accurate when doing the 180deg test, they build them very well these days, stabila are still German made which is nice to see, and are fairly bullet proof.

3K Club Member

I was pretty impressed with my old one. It suffered quite a few bad knocks and falls and kept being accurate for many years. Maybe I'll look after this one better.

7K Club Member

Have you got yourself a "bevel box" level yet? Very handy, e.g. for squaring up a drop saw, place it on your saw's plate, zero it, then place it on your saw blade and set it to 90deg, or whatever angle you need.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Have you got yourself a "bevel box" level yet? Very handy, e.g. for squaring up a drop saw, place it on your saw's plate, zero it, then place it on your saw blade and set it to 90deg, or whatever angle you need.
    Never seen one. Sounds handy. Will have to googlie it

Cabinetmaker

Yes mate, thats the one. I negitiated with Bunnings and got it for $150.00

works well. I like it alot. I need accuracy, i needed something to cross reference with my laser level and seriously was going cross eyed looking at the bubble on the fatmax level i have.
    find us on facebook - Pitman Cabinetmaking
    follow us on Instagram - PITMAN_CABINETMAKING

After 30 years, Stabila have the only 'impact' resistant level. Although, welcoming other brands to prove they are well impact resistant.

If you are careful, some of the others will be fine. Just don't drop or hit them.

Really cheap levels fail straight out the box. Put two nails in some fixed wood just short the level. Bang them in level, spin the level. Is the level still level when the level is spun 180 degrees?
    https://www.instagram.com/perth_bricklayer_wa

Old Chippy 6K

I still use a 600mm Stabila of my Dad's now more than 60 years old! Had another 1.2m, but as good as they are I discovered they don't stay accurate after being run over by a full cement truck . . .

My newest is a 1.2m FatMax bought in a hurry last year to replace the Stabila and it seems fine. All my others are Stabila - just can't be bothered moving from something that has been so solidly reliable and functional.

Then again I've seen work where it seems any level would have helped and proves how the old 'eye-level' is a highly variable tool!
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

GeoffW1

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I was once in Bunnings and a lady was looking at levels. Me being my usual helpful self (and the fact she was pretty ) I asked her what she was going to be using it for. Hanging pictures was her answer. I managed to save her a few bucks by showing her the built-in level in her iPhone
    You wanted to show her how it indicated horizontal