Looking for ladder recommendations

Default Looking for ladder recommendations

I've just bought a single story Victorian terrace house in Melbourne, and there are various jobs that need doing before we can move in. One of them is to cut back the creeping vines on the brickwork, as well as whatever plant has grown its way up onto the roof and sprouted a little ecosystem up there. Right now I only own a standard 2m step ladder, and this is my first house, so I feel like a decent extension ladder may be a wise investment. I've already learned the lesson, "Buy once, cry once," so I don't just want to get the cheapest low-quality thing I can find if I'm going to hate it or need to replace it in a few years. The house has the typical high ceilings of an old Victorian, so I think I may need to upgrade my step ladder as well. If nothing else it will allow me to replace the hanging/pendant lights that are in all the rooms. Can anyone suggest brands and features I should look for in ladders I can buy at Bunnings or equivalent?

My better ladders are Bailey and Gorilla brands. I have a big extension ladder, 5m not extended, so when I am up that my life depends on it - bought a quality Gorilla 2nd hand.

¿ I would think about a dual purpose ladder - step ladder and folds out into an extension ladder if you really need an extension for random jobs.
    I know dual purpose are not great (you only get 2 heights) but I have one and it is fine as a step ladder - don't think I have used it as an extension ladder as I have a selection (it happens).

Anyway, a step ladder that suits your high ceiling heights would get the most use?
    Then you will have 2 step ladders, which is always handy cause then a plank between the two gives you a work platform for painting those high cornices

Bailey, Gorilla and even Rhino have decent ladders in their ranges. The ones with a 150kg rating seem to be more stable than the 120kg models in my experience I am slightly over 80kg. For step ladders the flat topped electricians style ladders with steps both sides are a favourite. Extension ladders, something robust.

I have both Bailey and Gorilla and they appear the same to me. However the expert say Bailey is the better brand.
    I believe John is onto something. It has probably to do more with the model you choose than the brand.
    Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones.
    Seneca

Golden Member

I've a 36' (11m) wooden extension ladder that would do the job nicely!!!
    Unless you know how to lift it, for most its a 2 person job
    ...and most light weight people would struggle to pull the rope to extend it

Community Moderator

I wont tell you what brand but my favourites for step ladders have the steps going through the stile and penned over as they are better in to long run as I had an old step ladder that had the treads riveted to the style and the rivets corroded and I came off the second step and it hurt.

As for extension ladders depends on how much you use is as they all have the rungs go through the stile and peened over but the good ones have D shape rung with the flat side on the top as it is easy to stand on for long periods.

The multipurpose ladders can be a bit rickety when climbing compared to a proper extension ladder.

I have Baileys Step, Baileys Dual purpose and Baileys extension ladders, as well as Gorilla multi purpose thing and some smaller 2 / 3 step Baileys.

The Baileys are miles ahead of the imported stuff, not only in Build quality but ease of use, light weight and better overall design / usability.
    The imported stuff is built from lower grade Aluminium and needs thicker material to get the ratings so these weigh a lot more compared to the Baileys which use a superior higher strength lightweight Aluminium.

I have had Baileys for over 15 years, they are still functioning as new, none of the rivets have popped or sheared off as I have seen from other brands at various jobs, the locking mechanisms still work as new, the plastic parts are all in as new.

I have seen a lot of imported ladders only a few years old that look like they are 20 years old because they just don't last with medium / high use.
    If it's only for occasional use then get a cheap one, if you want it to be around in 10 / 20 years get an Australian Made Baileys, as with most products in the Building industry you get what you pay for.

Good example is wheelbarrows which have been discussed on here many times, the cheap imported rubbish ones rust out. wheel bearings collapse, paint fades and flakes off in a matter of 2 / 3 years, a good quality one such as Kelso will still be going after 20 years.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Choose wisely and do some homework. No point in spending your hard earned on a one trick pony.
    The Little Giant 5 to 9 steps (bunnings/special order), has onboard leg levellers which is a nice touch, but appears unable to be converted into a set of trestles.
    Little Giant velocity model 22 from (ladder central/online order) does have this capability which makes it a little more versatile, but no mention of leg levellers, must be an add on. Both models rated at 150kg.
    You could go the Gorilla Mighty 19 option, also available from bunnings, but this model has a 120kg rating.
    I've listed these multi function ladders , since you mention the need of steps for high ceilings and extension for single story.
    Boils down to how much you're willing to spend, how much space you have for storage or if you prefer to hire when needs arise.

Agree with Rod. I use my "multipurpose" ladder all the time, https://www.baileyladders.com.au/pro...scopic/FS13644, but when it comes to portability, you can't beat the $100 "multifold" ladders. They are nowhere as strong and are really bad on your feet unless you have boots, but you can make a worktable or low scaffolding and fold them in 4 and shovel in a car boot.
    There is no one size does it all super ladder as far as I know.
    I bought the expensive bailey multipurpose because I need to work on stairs sometimes, and keep two of the el cheapo for a quick workbench or scaffolding. To build an orchard enclosure and fit the netting over it I bought a platform ladder. No other ladder offered that level of comfort working up there, and for low level, you need yet another sort.
    Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones.
    Seneca

There is no one size does it all super ladder as far as I know.
    You obviously haven’t seen the infomercials for the “Transformer” ladder

I have had one of the Dofair multipurpose ladders for many years and use it regularly, came from the green shed but not one of their brands any more, it’s still solid and stable.
    Agree with the Bailey and Gorilla recommendations, my other 3 ladders are those brands.

Community Moderator

Seems like Bailey has succumbed to the cheap Chinese made variety. The bloke next door has a Bailey and it has the riveted treads my ancient Bailey has the treads through the stile.

fe23ffa0-d7d5-483d-88e1-d13805dc28d0.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Seems like Bailey has succumbed to the cheap Chinese made variety. The bloke next door has a Bailey and it has the riveted treads my ancient Bailey has the treads through the stile.
    Looks like they have two separate ranges, Bailey call the one pictured “Punchlock”, Bunnings sell the range as “Professional”. Of course there is a cost premium for the quality.

7K Club Member

I have a standard step ladder for simple tasks, but also a multipurpose like the Gorilla Mighty 19 I bought about 18 years ago and it's absolutely the duck's nuts for versatility and flexibility for heaps of tasks including up stairs, getting close to walls, and a good length of extension etc

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Of course there is a cost premium for the quality.
    Don't know bought it cheap at a garage sale.

Had to do a bit of work to it as the rubber feet had fallen off, made new PVC ones and that's about it.

Don't know bought it cheap at a garage sale.

Had to do a bit of work to it as the rubber feet had fallen off, made new PVC ones and that's about it.
    Was referring to the price advertised by retailers for the Bailey standard verses the Bailey Professional if buying new.

It appears Baileys were sold to Hills Industries in 1990 who then on sold them to WernerCo in 2013, WernerCo is an American based company and the largest ladder manufacturer in the world.
    Perhaps they have switched some baileys manufacturing to offshore ?

It was under Hills ownership that the tri-brace was introduced, the riveted models that also have the tri-brace so perhaps a cheaper method on manufacturing.
    The Puncklock still seems to be standard on their better range of ladders.

https://www.baileyladders.com.au/pro...at/Stepladders
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Thanks for all the advice, I wasn't expecting so many replies Great tips on what to look for quality-wise. I think I am leaning towards (you see what I did there?) a Gorilla professional-grade extension for now, and then will see if I think I need a big step ladder as well. There really shouldn't be many times when I need to reach the 3.6m ceiling in the middle of a room, so maybe not worth it.