Nail gun newbie - What kind of nail gun should I get?

Default Nail gun newbie - What kind of nail gun should I get?

Hi all.

So I'm building my own house with my dad (experienced builder - old school). Neither of us know much about nail guns. We want to get one to speed up the build though.

The house will be a simple all timber house, all out of pine. Bearer/joist floor, 90x45 framing, 200x25 pine weatherboards, 100x25 pine decking, Colourbond roof, and yellow-tongue (Structafloor) flooring.

What kind of nail gun(s) would you suggest to build such a house?
    Air compressor kind or cordless?
    Is there a kind of nail gun that will handle a variety of nails? Like both framing nails as well as those stainless steel dome-headed nails used for decking, etc.?

2K Club Member

Paslode gas gun for the framing, in my DIY opinion. Got this gun to frame up a few walls and it has been great.

Consider using screws on the deck - impact driver. I just got a Bosch blue 18v, which is great .
    Last edited by joynz; 19th Aug 2015 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Extra info

Your choice is either air or gas.
    You will need one gun for each type of nail yo have to drive, so one compressor and different guns is what I suggest.
    basically you need a framing gun to build you frame, a coil gun for the cladding and deck and a finishing gun for architraves and skirting boards.
    Having said that, deck is better built with screws and cladding by hand nailing,so unless you want to build a wooden fence, you don't need the coil gun.
    that leaves you with framing and finishing. Flooring you can go either top nailing for which you need a T nailer or secret nailing for what you need a rather expensive secret nailer.
    Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones.
    Seneca

2K Club Member

Got the Paslode, it's great so +1 for that. I'm no builder but speaking with those that are the air hose for framing is a pain.
    I also have a small compressor, and a DA, and C/C1 bradder. Plus a narrow crown stapler. Because these are usually used in quite a small areas or building my kitchens the hose is less of an issue.

I did get a pneumatic secret nailer/stapler on special at Toolmart for ~$200.00. Boy did that make the floor easy...

Please screw the deck, lest JimJ gets wind of your plans and swoops...

get one of these.. pretty sure you won't regret it.

2K Club Member

I got a compressor from ALDI (works great and sits upright so easy to store) and a Project Air air fixing gun for from Bunnings (after 3 of the Aldi air fixing guns failed). Much cheaper than the Paslode gas fixing gun - which is what I really wanted but couldn't justify.

1K Club Member

Default Nail gun newbie - What kind of nail gun should I get?

What is your budget?

A compressor worth buying will be in the range of $500 - $700 and paslode air framer around $400 - both worth buying. Gas guns are good but you will probably get more value from a compressor and gun. You can add various trim guns and flooring guns as well as other tools for painting etc if you have a decent compressor.

Remember gas has an expiry date and batteries don't last forever. If however you plan on using it for work - in the roof or carports/pergolas then they are worth the money.

Paslode Gas gun is the go, these are robust and well sorted, shoot a variety of nails from 50 - 90mm nails, but only really useful for framing type situations, check the boxes of nails when you buy them for longer expiry dates, but this is not a problem if you buy them from a big outlet, they order them by the pallete load and turnover is quick for them.

Screw the deck down if your going hardwood, unless your going pine boards, then hire a compressor and coil gun for the few days, unless your going the new premium wide pine boards, I would screw these down.
    You can easily sell the Paslode on ebay when finished, make sure to buy T2 blue pine,for framing, don;t waste your time creating a termite feast with untreated timber.

Compressor is good, but as Micky said, unless you want to spend decent money on one'(belt drive) then don't bother, and you wont get anything for them selling 2nd hand.

Paslode gas is better as it requires no power to run it and your free to use it where you want with no tube dragging behind you getting caught on everything., just make sure to have charged batteries if you have no power on site., plus to pack the Paslode up, put it back in it;'s box and walk away.

Nails for frame, minimum 75mm but only if you are skewing trenches frames, otherwise 82mm, you can go for non HDG for interior, but make sure HDG for any exterior stuff.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

+1 Paslode. Getting the end in sight of my Reno and this has been great to have. I have taken care of it and am sure it will go quickly when I sell it.
    One question though.... What other jobs can I use it for? I need to fasten compressed cement sheets to my concrete to set the level for engineered timber. I am guessing it is not for this, but are there other uses?

Great advice - thanks all!!

+1 for the compressor and the gun and screws for the deck. I just went through the nail gun selection process and went with the Hitachi NT50AE2 18G C1 series bradder for light work such as architraves and smaller projects. At $150, much cheaper than the Paslode (about $360) and it gets very good reviews regarding reliability and longevity. I'd keep well away from the cheaper brands. I will also get a 16G nailer at some stage for framing and will get the angled type for better access.
    If a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, how much do you need before you are out of trouble?