Need help/info for drilling a stainless steel piece of rod please

Novice

Exclamation Need help/info for drilling a stainless steel piece of rod please

Hi I'm trying to drill into a piece of stainless steel ROD/BAR the measurements for the rod cylinder is 10mm in diameter & 100mm in length. Its stainless steel grade 304.

I have access to a drill press.

The drill size will be 6mm-7mm straight through the middle of the rod

So far I have learnt that I would need to drill slow?? And and a fluid to cool the steel while drilling into the rod ???

Any other tips or info would be great. Like what material drill piece would I need?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stainless-steel-304-round-bar-250x250.jpg  

3K Club Member

6mm drill through 10mm ss will leave 2mm each side, good luck.

Default Re: Need help/info for drilling a stainless steel piece of rod please

Might be a better idea to go and buy a piece of SS tubing unless it has to have exactly a 6mm hole through the centre?

Quote Originally Posted by nick2nv View Post
    what material drill piece would I need?
    A high speed steel drill bit would work ok.
    The trick is to keep the bit cutting and not allow the drill bit to rub causing the material to 'work harden'.

This is a bit of an ask for a drill press as it wont be easy to locate the start of the drill in the center of the bar and you will need to keep the bar axial to the drill bit or it will go off center. Maybe 50mm deep from each end would be easier than a straight through.

Cutting fluid would help but it will be difficult to keep a supply up to the end of a 6mm drill bit down a deep hole.
    Keeping the drill flutes clear of swarf is more important, so regularly totally withdraw the drill bit and clean the flutes.

A lathe is the tool for this job, if you have a friend with one it would only take a couple of minutes to do.
    If you get stuck and don't mind paying the postage to and from Adelaide I will do it for you no problems (Provided you don't need 100's).

Good luck

Novice

I agree with Belair_boy. A lathe would be the best option for this. Normally when I drill stainless steel I drill hard and fast, while spraying a bit of coolant on the drill bit.

Default Re: Need help/info for drilling a stainless steel piece of rod please

Quote Originally Posted by Belair_Boy View Post
    The trick is to keep the bit cutting and not allow the drill bit to rub causing the material to 'work harden'.

This is a bit of an ask for a drill press as it wont be easy to locate the start of the drill in the center of the bar and you will need to keep the bar axial to the drill bit or it will go off center. Maybe 50mm deep from each end would be easier than a straight through.

Cutting fluid would help but it will be difficult to keep a supply up to the end of a 6mm drill bit down a deep hole.
    Keeping the drill flutes clear of swarf is more important, so regularly totally withdraw the drill bit and clean the flutes.

A lathe is the tool for this job, if you have a friend with one it would only take a couple of minutes to do.
    If you get stuck and don't mind paying the postage to and from Adelaide I will do it for you no problems (Provided you don't need 100's).

Good luck
    That's real kind of you, its great to see there is still good people in this world.

Novice

Good luck
    Thank you very much & to be honest I have called so many places and they didn't want to do the job. '

Yes just send me your email via pm & I will send you the drawing and info if you can do it for me then yes I would rather pay you to do it.. I will send you both designs if you can do anyone of them two it will be great as its for a custom wheelie bar project for my mini racing bike. I'm stuck on this piece.

Thanks once again for all your time please pm me your email

just send me your email via pm
    Done

Happy to help out. Most workshops wont bother with the small stuff as it's not worth the time.

need to centre the job in a vice, draw a x on the end and use a square from the drill table to align vertical. Need to centre punch where you are going to drill so when you apply pressure the drill does not bend and slide off. Drill a pilot hole half the size first it will make it much easier.
    cheers Look out if I have a tape measure in my hand.....I'm upto something

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by barney118 View Post
    need to centre the job in a vice, draw a x on the end and use a square from the drill table to align vertical. Need to centre punch where you are going to drill so when you apply pressure the drill does not bend and slide off. Drill a pilot hole half the size first it will make it much easier.
    Thanks for tips barney but Belair_Boy is helping out with the project.

Cheers

Qual Tiler

HSS bit will be painfull to use , cobalt bits are made for stainless drilling.

Belair_Boy is helping out with the project.
    Job done

rods01.jpgrods02.jpg

Novice

Job done

Fantastic Great job mate and once again thanks for helping out

3K Club Member

So, what are these for?

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    So, what are these for?
    custom wheelie bar project for my mini racing bike.

Custom wheelie bar for the mini banshee race bike its my brothers mini bike just using it at car show and for burnouts and bolting a turbo on soon for looks. He has already spent nearly 1k on mods and I'm 80kg and the front wheel still lift up

The drawing is just a idea of the design and sorry I had trouble uploading some pics I had to make it small so the site would me let me upload it up..

Last picture is another persons mini wheelie bar which we are taking ideas off (but we don't want to copy his design 100%)

Cheers

mini-3.jpgmini-1.jpguntitled.jpgbike-bar-design.jpg

3K Club Member

Oh. So it's part of a life (face) saving device Be sure to utube it when it's done.