recommend your cheap crappy tool/gadget that worked out to be awesome..

Novice

Default recommend your cheap crappy tool/gadget that worked out to be awesome..

as per title... recommend any cheap china direct/ebay thing that's been good value.

My recommendation would be a deko laser level.. mine was $50 delivered with hardcase, no tripod.
    my brothers and I have used it dozens of times and it has been great value for money.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3251...3a994c4dSi4qbP

obscene or funny recommendations also welcome such as:

grinder disc with chainsaw teeth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MpjWlkYhdQ

(please.. no referral links)

How long did it take to get the laser, I once ordered a recessed handle from Ali and it took 3 months to arrive.
    Never ordered anything else as postage was so slow.

I have these T50 marking gauge, they come in various sizes best bloody thing since sliced bread, I also have an expensive American made one and this cheap Chinese one is better.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/31369305...YAAOSwRRpgUWSC

capture.jpg
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

4K Club Member

Th cheapest 'gadget" I ever got was a 'free' subscription to Renovate Forum. So much useful Australian experience and information at hand, though a good personal protective BS filter is mandatory for best results.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Novice

I went through a phase of trying Aldi tools when they were on sale. They've been a mixed bag, and I probably wouldn't buying any more of them now, but one standout was an angle grinder that I've used for close to 10 years. Used it to cut and grind metal, concrete, tile and wood. I'm on the >4th set of brushes, which I also picked up in bulk for a few bucks on ebay from china. I've run it under heavy load continually for 30-45mins at a time and although I've expected the motor windings to burn out, it still hasn't died.

Also, while not a "cheap or crappy" example, the humble palm nailer has proven far more useful than I originally thought it would when I purchased it, and they're fairly inexpensive compared to other drivers and guns. I've done a lot of work using old hardwood, so the much more expensive framing gun has sat idle, while the palm nailer gets used for everything from 25x2.8mm clout nails to 100x4.5mm structural nails, in tight spaces too.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    How long did it take to get the laser,
    Yeh ali can be hit an miss with shipping times.. I always allow two months.. but I think the laser came in a couple of weeks.

thanks for the t50 idea.. I was looking for a scriber on ali but they all seemed to be imperial.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno80 View Post
    palm nailer... 25x2.8mm clout nails
    Yeah I shoulda bought one of these years ago.

I'm hopeless with clouts.. bled from the thumb in an awful swing and a miss on one yesterday.. was tired, nailing upside down, sweaty.

one of these...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
    one of these...
    Yes, bought one of them, haven't used it yet, it's been in the garage for about 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno80 View Post
    I went through a phase of trying Aldi tools when they were on sale. They've been a mixed bag, and I probably wouldn't buying any more of them now, but one standout was an angle grinder that I've used for close to 10 years. Used it to cut and grind metal, concrete, tile and wood. I'm on the >4th set of brushes, which I also picked up in bulk for a few bucks on ebay from china. I've run it under heavy load continually for 30-45mins at a time and although I've expected the motor windings to burn out, it still hasn't died.

Also, while not a "cheap or crappy" example, the humble palm nailer has proven far more useful than I originally thought it would when I purchased it, and they're fairly inexpensive compared to other drivers and guns. I've done a lot of work using old hardwood, so the much more expensive framing gun has sat idle, while the palm nailer gets used for everything from 25x2.8mm clout nails to 100x4.5mm structural nails, in tight spaces too.
    Which one did you get ?, I have the Bostitch PON50, it was about $70 the cheapies were not much less so I went for a good one.

I bought a Ryobi 23Ga headless pin nailer to do a timber feature wall job that was all face nailed and needed around 2000 nails to complete it.

As these have no head and the nails are soooo small, you can get away with face nailing
    I had a lot of issues with it, where it would fire 3 nails then no more, you open the nail holder close it, and it would fire 3 nails then no more.

After mucking with it for about 1 hour I took it back to Bunnings, they exchanged it without question, took it to the job and it did exactly the same thing.
    I thought there was some sort of design problem, mucked with it for a while, Rang Ryobi, they were no help, just said take it back to Bunnings.

So I took it back to Bunnings, they exchanged it again no questions, back to the job and exactly the same problem.
    I was using the included 20mm nails and some GREX 20mm nails I had purchased as it was 12mm timber into 12mm base so I went for the 20mm over 25mm.

I noticed there are mechanical setting on the gun for nail size, there is a 12mm, 19mm 22mm and 25mm but no 20mm, so I set it at either 19 or 22mm.
    I tried jiggling the nails in the slider before locking it and I could get it to fire the whole strip of nails sometimes, put the nails back in in either the 19 or 22mm setting and only fire 3 nails.

Ended up being 20mm nails are not compatible with the gun even though these are included in the box from Ryobi ???
    While all this was going on I purchased a Bostitch 23Ga from Amazon US as 23ga guns are not very common in Australia, they are typically used for crown moulding in the US.

I also purchased some 25mm nails from Amazon, the nails showed up first, tried them in the Ryobi and what do you know it fired the entire strip without issues, put 20mm back in and no go.
    I found you can use the 20mm, you just need to set the switch half way between the 19 and 22mm setting and close the slider carefully and it was happy.

The Bostitch gun turned up, it was happy with 20 or 25mm nails, but the Ryobi has another advantage over the more expensive Bostitch, it will go down to 12mm, but the Bostitch will go up to 50mm nails.
    I found the Ryobi gun left such a tiny hole in the timber it was barely noticeable, or actually it was not noticeable 99% of the time, I ended up using the Ryobi over the Bostitch one with 25mm nails.

I have used it to do a few feature walls and fired thousands of nails, not one actual jam, just the misfire thing initially, this is a really good gun if you need to do detailed finish work that is glued.

The only thing that could be improved it the latch to lock the nails in place, it's a bit clunky but other than that it's a fantastic gun and for $49 a bargain.
    I am amazed how these can even work, the box for the nails is about 6cm x 6cm and it contain 10,000 nails, the actual nails are thinner than a staple but will happily shoot through Blackbutt without complaint.

I can definitely recommend buying the Ryobi if you have a need for this type of gun, just chuck the included 20mm nails.

I hope they don't discontinue this tool, as the manufacturing date on the box was 2018, I picked it up in 2020 and all the boxes were covered in dirt from sitting on the Bunnings shelf for so long, they obviously don't sell many of them.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

Pleasant surprise no 1 was a mobile scaffold. So much faster and safer then climbing up and down a stepladder. Cost about $200 online. It has paid for itself so many times over in time saved. The metalwork is quite good quality - it’s not going to fail under my usage.
    https://www.mitre10.com.au/hurricane...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Pleasant surprise no 2 was an electric winch https://www.bunnings.com.au/gorilla-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds. .it’s set up on the front balcony and carries all materials to the top floor - paint, concrete, tiles, flooring - everything heavy. Saves time and effor and stops damage to finished areas from carrying things up the stairs and around hallway corners. I bought the 500kg model so I can set it up in the garage after our house is finished and keep it for engines etc. Again, quality is quite good for DIY and will probably see me out.

I know they are not the extra low price tags the op was meaning, but they are my pick of value for dollar. My tip - if you are doing a renno or an owner build then buy them at the start, not half way through.

Novice

Which one did you get ?, I have the Bostitch PON50, it was about $70 the cheapies were not much less so I went for a good one.
    That would be the one I have too.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Arron View Post
    Pleasant surprise no 1 was a mobile scaffold.
    My parents bought a small scaffold which led to them winning a large scaffold giveaway.. Definitely helpful. They have a two storey house and getting too old for the stairs.. they've talked about installing a lift, but a winch could be more fun.

Novice

one of these...
    Yes, bought one of them, haven't used it yet, it's been in the garage for about 3 years
    Awesome idea..
    I found them on aliexpress along with other contour duplicators.. have a specific need for such a thing right now, so it may not even go straight to the shed.

(link to them on ali for anyone who wants it https://www.aliexpress.com/af/Contou...20211025015111)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Awesome idea..
    I found them on aliexpress along with other contour duplicators.. have a specific need for such a thing right now, so it may not even go straight to the shed.

(link to them on ali for anyone who wants it https://www.aliexpress.com/af/Contou...20211025015111)
    Don't hold your breath waiting for it o come from Ali, normally few month delivery, probably at the moment with all the delivery delays might take 12 months.

I found ebay China sellers still able to get things here in around 2 weeks, cost a little more than Ali but you will get it before 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    My parents bought a small scaffold which led to them winning a large scaffold giveaway.. Definitely helpful. They have a two storey house and getting too old for the stairs.. they've talked about installing a lift, but a winch could be more fun.
    Go the lift. Definitely. We put one in. By building the shaft myself and fitting the doors, we got the price down to $37k. That’s for a nice enclosed lift which can take 2 people or one and wheelchair or even 3 people at a pinch. Compare that to the cost of moving house in later life and its no money at all.

Another solution waiting for a problem?
    Who has one of these in the shed?
    Japan Pull Saws | Total Tools

Novice

I saw one of these on clearance at bunnings.. guess it's mostly usedfor undercutting trim or moulding when installing flooring? Would have got it but my reciprocal multitool covers that.

Guess the pros are that it doesn't need power and might be quicker if it's on your tool belt for the odd cut. Also it kinda looks cool and has Japan in the name.. suggesting wielder has skills of ancient craftsman

I have a few of those, bought when they were all the rage about 20 years ago. The only one I’ve found really useful is the flush cutting one with zero set.

The standard Japanese saws I don’t like much because their action is ballistic (in the true sense of once heading in a direction it cannot be changed) so you can’t salvage a bad cut like you can with a backed saw.

They do cut quick though - wicked set plus very thin kerf.

Novice

helped a friend fix his pool, and he had a tube/pump drill attachment.. which I've seen before but never used.

It was pretty handy.. (no we didn't drain the pool with it .

Could be used for draining oil from a mower? quickly drain a trap or pit? Hmm.. what else.

(I assume it won't be able to send fluids too high)

Anyway, will have to get one for my odd/crappy tool collection
    drillpump.jpg

I couldn't get my drill pump to work with out priming it first. Basically involved me sucking on the end till i could just about hear the water then smash the drill button to get it to pump. Also wonder if they may work better with higher RPM 240v drills?
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing