What to look for in a powerdrill

Default What to look for in a powerdrill

I'm trying to screw some large screws into hardwood at the moment and need a drill up to the task (my cordless 14.4V Ryobi does it's best but just doesn't have the torque to sink it all the way in)

I bought a 710W Otizo power hammer drill hoping it'd do the job but instead it just smoked like crazy (my cordless drove the screw further!)

So I'm going to take the Ozito back and try and get a refund considering it sucked. What should I look for in a new one? There was a 710W Makita my fiance took a fancy to however would I just have the same problem with the lack of torque considering it is the same wattage?

The wood I'm going into is very hard (blunted many a drill bit and bend many nails trying to ge into the Damn thing)

So please let meet know what I should look for in a drill to be sure it is up to the task.

I bought a Makita 240v impact screwdriver
    from the green and red hardware store for $125. Fantastic - way better than any reasonably priced cordless drill.

See here;

http://www.makita.com.au/index.php/p...ver?Prodid=143
    I just love sheepies!

I was doing some reading into my problem and found that a lot of people suggest using a dedicated driver otherwise a cordless drill over a powerdrill considering powerdrills are usually designed to drill holes, not drive screws and so are geared for that.

I have a Ryobi 14.4V cordless drill which I think has 12Nm of torque. I've heard good things about the ryobi 18V one+ tools. I can pick up a 2 gear cordless hammer drill (37Nm of torque), 2 batteries and a cordless circular saw for about $170 from Bunnings which might be a good?

When I was at Bunnings on the weekend I was trying to find a drill with a high torque on it but none of the power drills I was looking at even listed it. The cordless ones seem to list it though which makes me think that maybe in my price range the power drills aren't really designed to drive screws (even though I told the Bunnings staff member that I was intending on using the drill to drive screws into some very hard hardwood and they said it'd handle it fine however considering it smoked up so quickly I'm guessing it wasn't designed for this task).

Deltoid,

If you want to put screws in use an impact driver. They can be either cordless or corded. That's what they are good for. Just remember to drill your pilot holes accordingly.

I have a DeWalt Impact Driver (1,100 in lbs of torque ~ 100ftlbs) and it will put quiet large coach bolts into hardwood.

Also I have a 12V Ryobi and it does the job ok.

Look at Ryobi, Makita, DeWalt etc....Just remember they aren't cheap.
    Steve

Live while you're alive and sleep when you're dead

Thanks Bleeder. My problems is that if possible I want to avoid getting a dedicated driver as I only have about 8 screws to drive so it'd be overkill to buy a driver just for that. However I will need a hammer drill so I was hoping to get a hammer drill with enough torque to do some driving too.

Does that make any sense?

Deltoid,

No a hammer drill is for masonry work. An impact driver is completley different. Think of a mechanics 'rattle gun' cause that's what they are.

From what I can remember my Ryobi cost $250 and my Dewalt cost $330. They have been invaluable. A cordless drill is exactly that a drill. Can be used for putting in screws but an impact driver gives you better control.

Search ebay etc....you might get lucky.
    Steve

Thanks mate, I did see 'Impact Drill' and 'Hammer Drill' and wasn't sure if they were just different words for the same thing or not.

Thanks again.

Just to show the difference. I am putting up my carport and driving tek screws by the dozen. The cordless drill takes about 25seconds to drill and tighten. The makita impact driver takes about 8seconds and if I keep going I can snap the heads off.

Super easy!
    I just love sheepies!

Wot bleader said. Drill you pilot holes properly. Also a lttle bit of lube on the screw helps. Even wiping the thread on a sweaty forehead makes all the difference. Either that or sunlight soap.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzler View Post
    Just to show the difference. I am putting up my carport and driving tek screws by the dozen. The cordless drill takes about 25seconds to drill and tighten. The makita impact driver takes about 8seconds and if I keep going I can snap the heads off.

Super easy!
    I do not need any more tools...I do not need any more tools...I do not need any more tools...I do not need any more tools.....I do not need...D'oh!!
    DIY electrical wiring to AS/NZS3000 - details here - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    I do not need any more tools...I do not need any more tools...I do not need any more tools...I do not need any more tools.....I do not need...D'oh!!
    Listen to me ...... yes you do....yes you do.....yes you do...yes you do....hypnotized yet....
    Steve

Apprentice (new member)

Bought an Ozito power screwdriver (240v) and it put the screws for my colorbond fence sheeting into 2mm gal no dramas. Probably $40 or so, I don't recall. I consider it renting for 3 yrs when buying an Ozito, a Makita would no doubt be better and last longer, but i'd probably lose it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzler View Post

Super easy!
    dead right, they are excellent tools, we use Makitas on demo's, the lithium ion batteries last ages also. Once you've tried an impact driver you'll never go back to a standard cordless.
    www.scrooz.com.au

I do not need any more tools...I do not need any more tools...I do not need any more tools...I do not need any more tools.....I do not need...D'oh!!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

No...No..No...No.......Yes!

'Just checking out' these Impact driver thingy's at the red hammer on the weekend.

Well, Xmas is coming so why not ....bought a Ryobi 18v Impact driver with 2 batteries and accessory kit for $169.00....Had a play with it screwing some gyprock and plywood - seems to go well....

Apprentice (new member)

Hi folks,
    I am looking at buying the cheap ($129) Makita corded impact driver from Bunnings. I have about 500 14 gauge 75mm galvanized screws to drive into hardwood. If anyone has used this drill for any length of time, do you think it is up to the task?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    liar, no one ever has to many toys, errrr tools

750 watt is heaps big enouigh if geared correctly. My Makita 750 watt drill will twist your arm in half.

I've got a 1400 watt GMC - even though they are the little baby Chinese watts, not the big, hairy chested full size German or USA watts it still goes Ok for most things I want it to do.....

House Husband - 1K Club Member
    Upper Ferntree Gully, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

impact driver...
    Must have tool!
    I have a Milwaukee Li-ion V18 and it has driven everything from 8 guage x 25mm screws, roofing teks and 10mm x 125mm coach bolts.
    Way better than using a drill to drive screws. More control, quicker, and less likely to strip the heads.
    For small stuff I use a Makita 10.8v Li-ion impact driver and boy! Even that has a load of grunt. They also have a handy led light on them, when you pull the trigger. Great for using in cupboards, and I have even used it as a torch in the roof.

My new toy, errr, tool, xmas pressie from the wife & kids (I did have to go and buy it myself, but didn't have to use my personal cash stash)

AEG 18V LITHIUM ION CORDLESS DRILL

bs18xl.jpg

no, I did not pay $300+ !

Novice

I got a new drill for Xmas, but I have never thought about an impact driver. Think I might have to put that on the list for my birthday.

PowerMaster from Big W ($30) v.Taurus from ALDI ($40) v. Black n' Decker from Big W ($70)

I don't use a drill often and I'm no pro but I want an electric one because my wonderful, faithful Sturdee hand-drill is rooted and they don't seem available any more.

I think ALDI stuff is generally good, I had a beaut B & D toaster but perhaps the $30 Powermaster will do the trick. I'm tempted by the ALDI job as a good compromise.

If you wuz me, faced with this choice, what would you buy?

Novice

Default hardwood screws

Ideally get an impact drill, but if you're gonna use a normal drill, either get a cheapie which is 240v mains, or spend the money and get a high-quality lithium 18v. Pre-drill the holes and lube the screws. If you'll be doing it a bit in the future get an impact drill they go in easier.

Thanks up- the -gully - I'm a bit embarrassed to say I don't know what extra magic an impact drill has (presumably more "impact") but I can look it up on the Net.