where to buy power leads

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Community Moderator phild01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, north
    Posts
    15,946

    Default where to buy power leads

    Any advice where I can buy quality power cords with moulded 3 pin plugs. A few of my tools need replacement cables especially the planer. No suggestions of buying extension cords and lopping off the end, and of having someone else doing it, please.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Syndey
    Posts
    321

    Default

    If you don't want to go with the two most obvious options, you are left with calling the service departments for each of you tools to see if you can buy spare cords, or a better option is to look for the cords on a site like this: For all your Powertool Spare Parts and Powertool Accessory Needs - Powertool Spares. Just google "power tool spare parts" for more options.

  3. #3
    Slow but rough Uncle Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Cooma, Canberra
    Posts
    5,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    No suggestions of buying extension cords and lopping off the end,
    Yeah, they don't work so well as the flex isn't all that flexible.

  4. #4
    Community Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    7,408

    Default

    Planers do a nice job with leads don't they?

    Whichever way you go you will have to get someone to terminate the tool end.

    As far as extension leads are concerned it is much cheaper to buy leads from Bunnings than make them up.

    What's the hang up with not using plug tops that are fitted vs molded plug tops?

  5. #5
    2K Club Member toooldforthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Perth Hills
    Posts
    2,471

    Default

    people throw stuff on the verge for council pickups that often have good leads ready for the sniping

  6. #6
    Community Moderator phild01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, north
    Posts
    15,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Yeah, they don't work so well as the flex isn't all that flexible.

    Exactly right

  7. #7
    Community Moderator phild01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, north
    Posts
    15,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Planers do a nice job with leads don't they?

    Whichever way you go you will have to get someone to terminate the tool end.

    As far as extension leads are concerned it is much cheaper to buy leads from Bunnings than make them up.

    What's the hang up with not using plug tops that are fitted vs molded plug tops?
    Planers are brutal to leads.
    No, I won't have someone terminating the tool end for me, it's a simple task for me to do.
    Would rather have the moulded plug as it is a far superior and reliable form of termination. The leads from Bunnings are not flexible enough. I think Makita make the best power leads of any brand.

  8. #8
    Community Moderator phild01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, north
    Posts
    15,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toooldforthis View Post
    people throw stuff on the verge for council pickups that often have good leads ready for the sniping
    Generally these leads would only be rated for the stuff they are throwing out, Power tools need good ratings to ensure no voltage drop and overloading of the cable.

  9. #9
    Community Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    7,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Planers are brutal to leads.
    Would rather have the moulded plug as it is a far superior and reliable form of termination. The leads from Bunnings are not flexible enough. I think Makita make the best power leads of any brand.
    I don't know my plugtops don't fail

    The reason Bunnings are so stiff is the extension leads have a thicker more robust insulation.

    You could go and see a tool repair shop as there are heaps of tools thrown out as they are uneconomical to repair and they should just cut the plug top off before throwing it in the bin.

  10. #10
    Community Moderator phild01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, north
    Posts
    15,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    I don't know my plugtops don't fail

    The reason Bunnings are so stiff is the extension leads have a thicker more robust insulation.

    You could go and see a tool repair shop as there are heaps of tools thrown out as they are uneconomical to repair and they should just cut the plug top off before throwing it in the bin.
    Disagree that they are more robust. The stiffness is too much of a nuisance with tool handling. Unfortunately our local tool guy closed up years ago. I did get leads from him but these were a bit ordinary.

  11. #11
    Community Moderator phild01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, north
    Posts
    15,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    I don't know my plugtops don't fail

    The reason Bunnings are so stiff is the extension leads have a thicker more robust insulation.

    You could go and see a tool repair shop as there are heaps of tools thrown out as they are uneconomical to repair and they should just cut the plug top off before throwing it in the bin.
    I agree the plugtops don't fail, but what I mean is that the outer insulation too often pulls away from the clamped end exposing the individual core wires. Besides, just can't get the thick flexible cable I desire to use with them.

  12. #12
    Hammer Head - 1K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,429

    Default

    any festool or protocol shop sells there connect leads as a spare part ready to fit to tool, you could even put a plug it female onto the tool and use the plug it male lead. so you can swap it next time you have a mishap with the planner

  13. #13
    Community Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    7,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
    you could even put a plug it female onto the tool and use the plug it male lead. so you can swap it next time you have a mishap with the planner
    Please explain?

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Festool often have a fixed plug in the machine, and the power cord is like a perverted extension cord, AU 3pin plug one end and propriety Festool line socket at the other. Don't have any Fes gear, but I think all the models that use this system use the same connectors and the leads are available in different lengths.
    Have used some other Swiss and German gear that used a similar system.

  15. #15
    The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yarra Valley Vic oz
    Posts
    8,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaza View Post
    any festool or protocol shop sells there connect leads as a spare part ready to fit to tool, you could even put a plug it female onto the tool and use the plug it male lead. so you can swap it next time you have a mishap with the planner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Please explain?
    Quote Originally Posted by malb View Post
    Festool often have a fixed plug in the machine, and the power cord is like a perverted extension cord, AU 3pin plug one end and propriety Festool line socket at the other. Don't have any Fes gear, but I think all the models that use this system use the same connectors and the leads are available in different lengths.
    Have used some other Swiss and German gear that used a similar system.
    Just to try to help clarify this as I see alarm bells from Bros with the possibility of live exposed male pins on the end of a lead.

    My B&D grinder has MALE pins coming out the rear of it that the FEMALE end of its power lead plugs into, this way there is no exposed LIVE pins.







    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pb030012.jpg   pb030016.jpg   pb030014.jpg  
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

  16. #16
    Community Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    7,408

    Default

    Well there you go I have never seen any of these. I have visions of an extension lead with a plug top on each end.

    I was in Bunnings on Sat and overheard two blokes talking about making up an extension lead with two plug tops so it is not so funny.

    I started talking to them and what they wanted to do was put power on to a camper by using a GPO as the inlet and a lead with two plug tops as they couldn't find any fittings to do the job as Bunnings don't sell caravan type inlet fittings.

    Certainly an accident going somewhere to happen, thank heavens for RCD's

  17. #17
    Community Moderator phild01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, north
    Posts
    15,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Well there you go I have never seen any of these. I have visions of an extension lead with a plug top on each end.

    I was in Bunnings on Sat and overheard two blokes talking about making up an extension lead with two plug tops so it is not so funny.

    I started talking to them and what they wanted to do was put power on to a camper by using a GPO as the inlet and a lead with two plug tops as they couldn't find any fittings to do the job as Bunnings don't sell caravan type inlet fittings.

    Certainly an accident going somewhere to happen, thank heavens for RCD's

  18. #18
    Novice
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: where to buy power leads

    Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Well there you go I have never seen any of these. I have visions of an extension lead with a plug top on each end.

    I was in Bunnings on Sat and overheard two blokes talking about making up an extension lead with two plug tops so it is not so funny.

    I started talking to them and what they wanted to do was put power on to a camper by using a GPO as the inlet and a lead with two plug tops as they couldn't find any fittings to do the job as Bunnings don't sell caravan type inlet fittings.

    Certainly an accident going somewhere to happen, thank heavens for RCD's
    I remember my brother telling me a similar story from Iraq, where they would power a house via an extension lead from another house. Only difference was they wouldn't have 2 male ends - one end would be frayed and pushed into the GPO.

    Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk 2

  19. #19
    Resigned SilentButDeadly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Not here...
    Posts
    5,155

    Default

    I tend to buy unterminated leads with AU plugs from either the local electrical wholesaler. Failing that you can get them from RS Buy Power Cable Assemblies Cord,power,mains,3-core,250V,10A,AS3112 Australian plug,free ends,2.5m long RS V3986862RS online from RS for next day delivery. or what is now called Element 14 (was known as Farnell) K3781 - ACCESS COMMUNICATIONS - MAINS PLUG, 3PIN, BARE, BLACK | element14 Australia and probably Jaycar as well.

    But I also tend to keep a stock of spare used AU plug leads with IEC plugs on them...and cut them off as required. So far the planer and the belt sander have eaten their leads!!
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Well there you go I have never seen any of these. I have visions of an extension lead with a plug top on each end.

    I was in Bunnings on Sat and overheard two blokes talking about making up an extension lead with two plug tops so it is not so funny.

    I started talking to them and what they wanted to do was put power on to a camper by using a GPO as the inlet and a lead with two plug tops as they couldn't find any fittings to do the job as Bunnings don't sell caravan type inlet fittings.

    Certainly an accident going somewhere to happen, thank heavens for RCD's

    Hi Bros
    I thinkl that they intended to use the "SUICIDE LEAD" [10A PLUG each end]to connect a generator or inverter into the camper,caravan, motor home

    Quite a common practise among some "clever "RV DIYers

    For the benifit of those who may wonder about "SUICIDE LEADS'
    They are an easy method of killing someone or committing suicide

    It is very likely at some time someone will either remove the plug from the van power outlet while the generator or inverter is still running
    ONE then has EXPOSED 240V pins &usualy no RCD in circuit,
    BUT even a RCD will not protect from shocks if contacting the TWO LIVE LINES

    THen the other situation is mains power may be accidentyt connected while the generator lead is plugged in = ONE BIG BANG
    ORr again if the bare plug which normally plugs into the generator is exposed AGAIN SHOCKS,possible
    ELECTROCUTION from contact between the active pin of the mains & the NEUTRAL pin of the mains
    AGAIN THE RCD WILL NOT PROTECT

    This is why ,in most states, it is illegal for other than a qualified person to make up /modify 240V leads!!!

    A typical example of a little knowledge being HIGHLY DANGEROUS!


    PeterQ

  21. #21
    Senior Member Markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Mt Druitt NSW
    Posts
    177

    Default

    From memory and this may have changed, it used to be that it is illegal to manufacture or modify leads (as in extension leads) if you are not a "qualified person". This prohibition does not apply to appliances or the repair thereof.
    ______________
    Mark
    They only call it a rort if they're not in on it

Similar Threads

  1. Replacing halogen 12V leads?
    By trenyboy in forum Lighting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 7th Aug 2011, 09:25 PM
  2. 39 posts leads the reputation! Ozwinner dethroned!
    By Groggy in forum Feedback & Help
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 23rd Apr 2006, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •