Who uses a sawhorse? i have some questions. (Uni project)

Apprentice (new member)

Question Who uses a sawhorse? i have some questions. (Uni project)

Hi All,
    I have a University project looking into the design of a new sawhorse and need to do some market research and talk to users of sawhorses, so i thought i might ask you some questions.

If you use or want to use a sawhorse, could you take a few mins of your time and answer these below.

1. Type of useryou could be a DIY'er or Professional (builder, plumber, woodworker etc.)
    2. What features do you like?(light weight, folding, replaceable top etc)
    3. What features do you dislike?
    4. What do you look for when buying a sawhorse?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer a few questions

Answers inline

Quote Originally Posted by enforcermike View Post

1. Type of useryou could be a DIY'er or Professional (builder, plumber, woodworker etc.) Builder and carpenters mainly. Tu rd Herders and Alec Chickens don't usually use them, but if they did, they might be gold plated.
    2. What features do you like?(light weight, folding, replaceable top etc) Cheap yet sturdy.
    3. What features do you dislike? Expensive and wobblely
    4. What do you look for when buying a sawhorse? See item 2

Mike, please change your profile location from Australia to be more specific, state level as a minimum. It helps with member advice.

3K Club Member

(1) Retired Builder Plumber Drainer part time car repairer.
    (2) Yep light and folding, but also bench height for tools/planks/drop saw/ welding
    Replaceable top depends on how you treat it but not a top priority.
    The Aldi frames I bought in 2017 (see pic) are great cause they act as bench with a couple of short planks/saw stool/scaffold (up to 200kg) extend 780 to 1280 so great for 2 planks and painting/repairing eaes/fascias etc on a low set home and at $30 each are value for money, however I doubt they would be accepted on a Building site today but for home use excellent.
    Fold up and hide in the shed
    Another favorite is the panel beaters frames, again fold up/good height and easy to hook a sheet of ply over them as a bench for tools materials especially for Plumbers doing a rough in with numerous fittings.Beats working out of boxes on the floor so much better for the back
    And of course old favorite from yesteryear which has stood the test of time and often made by home handyman and sold for less than the cost of timber and diffcult to transport as oppposed to the fold up version with metal frame and legs and strong enough to be used standing on
    (3) Dislike weak and cheap/nasty
    (4) Strength and durability
    /light and foldable so easy to transport
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stools.jpg  

1K Club Member

I'm an electrician, a mechanic and a handyman and do quite a bit of building and handyman work. I've used these with all those trades and they are the best I've found - https://www.bunnings.com.au/toughbui...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are also great for making trestle tables for parties etc. Just add a top and 2 lengths of 90 x 45mm that slot into the ends of the sawhorse.

Edit: After a second look mine are a lot sturdier and have fold out feet pads on the legs compared to the ones I linked to.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

1K Club Member

1. I am a mostly retired electrician who has also done lots of home renos including a fair bit of carpentry

2. Something that folds to take up minimum space when not in use and replaceable tops because eventually they get trashed (4x2 timber is good)

3. Uneven legs that make it wobbly, or fiddly fastenings to hold the legs in place

4. Inexpensive but sturdy enough to take large planks/timbers

Cheers!

Hi All,
    I have a University project looking into the design of a new sawhorse and need to do some market research and talk to users of sawhorses, so i thought i might ask you some questions.

If you use or want to use a sawhorse, could you take a few mins of your time and answer these below.

1. Type of useryou could be a DIY'er or Professional (builder, plumber, woodworker etc.)
    2. What features do you like?(light weight, folding, replaceable top etc)
    3. What features do you dislike?
    4. What do you look for when buying a sawhorse?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer a few questions
    1. Handyman doing odd jobs.
    Able to be moved easily. Folding legs can be essential for storage or transport. I have a pair with adjustable legs. Great for my back. Also useful when working on sloping or uneven surfaces. (see image.)
    None in particular.
    That it is fit for purpose. Hopefully will last a long time. (My first pair is still being used after about 40 years. Apart from wear, a weld on one of the lock bolts has broken but that does not effect its function.) Only other pair that I bought are higher and have adjustable legs but do not have a sacrificial or saw friendly top being metal with a thin plastic material.

General comments. Sawhorse are not bought (at least by me) on a regular basis. I have had two pairs in over 40 years.
    First pair were bought to be used in building a model railway and I did not have much money.
    Second pair was much more thought out about 5 years ago. I needed something higher as my back was getting sore using the original set.
    The saw horses are primarily used as a temporary work bench or holding doors for trimming.

The images show the saw horses in action. The first image is on a sloping driveway and the sawhorses are set for different heights. The first image includes my original saw horses with orange legs. Note the old door in both images as a work bench.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2827.jpg   100_2584.jpg  

Carpenter

What features do you like?(light weight, folding, replaceable top etc)
    Light weight, Sturdy, definitely Foldable

What features do you dislike?

Flimsy, I really hate the orange ones with the metal folding legs Bunnings sell as the feet are just folded metal like a tin can.
    As soon as these are opened on a delicate surface such as a deck, they instantly scratch it, they are completely useless.

They also have that stupid hook on the side that is meant to have a 4x2 fit in them, I found I never used it, and it always got in the way.

They also fell apart, were easily damaged and started to rust because they were crap.
    Also dislike the other folding ones Bunnings sell with the blue legs and timber top, the legs are fixed (which makes them strong, but a PITA to store / transport)

I have a set of Australian Made metal foldable ones, Picked them up at the Timber show one year, they are fully galvanised, have protective folded feet, the metal is about three times the thickness of the rubbish Bunnings ones, have never rusted, and very strong, I wanted more, and was not able to find the supplier again, they also have replaceable timber tops which was a bonus.

What do you look for when buying a sawhorse?
    Quality, portability / storage size

I picked up a few sets of American Made Burro from Bunnings.

They were selling these for a while for around $49 each, they had a clearance on them and got rid of them for $25 each, so I bought 4.

They fold, are very strong (800kg capacity), are completely made from timber so no scratches on any surface, fold up very small, and easily transportable.

One of the guys at the local Bunnings said he wasn't sure why they discontinued them as they were selling a lot of them ?
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a Chinese knock off from a Bunnings owned company appear on the shelves soon, for probably the same $49 price.

If they do, I would suggest nobody buys them, it's a really ingenious design and well thought out.

horses.jpg
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir