Hire the best Asbestos Expert

Abestos behind tiling?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Abestos behind tiling?

Hi guys,

I am looking to re-tile my bathroom and kitchen. I spoke with a tiler yesterday and he told me that there may be asbestos underneath the tiles as this was a common practice pre 1985. My home was built in 1962 and the tiling would have been done around the 70s so it could be likely. If this is the case I am told that I would have to rip up the old asbestos walls and not just take off the tiles. I have attached a link with a picture of the asbestos subject!

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx64/q_w_t/Tile.jpg

Anyones comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Quentin

Old Chippy 6K

Asbestos sheeting almost certainly. Check on WA rules, but I don't think you are mandated to remove it to simply re-tile. BUT - it makes sense to bite the bullet and remove it when you are doing the renovations so you have the problem gone from that part of the house at least. Then you and future owners know that part is OK - good to make sure that you keep good notes and evidence (receipts etc) what work is done and what replaces the asbestos. Read the stickies and they will tell you what you need to do.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Apprentice (new member)

Hi there,

Thanks for your quick response.

I to was thinking it was asbestos. I will read the stickies for WA and find out if I have to remove it at all. I do not really mind if there is asbestos in the area just as long as it is properly sealed. From what I have read this sort of sheeting is about 3 percent asbestos.

Regards,

Quentin

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by quentin5000 View Post
    Hi there,

Thanks for your quick response.

I to was thinking it was asbestos. I will read the stickies for WA and find out if I have to remove it at all. I do not really mind if there is asbestos in the area just as long as it is properly sealed. From what I have read this sort of sheeting is about 3 percent asbestos.

Regards,

Quentin
    % can vary - up to 12% or so. The % amount is not what matters - it is the danger if you atomise it into dust by drilling sanding or otherwise turning the stable asbestos in cement (fibro) into particles that can be breathed in. The silica and other compounds in the cement are also not good to be inside human lungs . . .
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

3K Club Member

Smile

Have you considered sheeting over the area and avoiding any risk?

Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsaltoz View Post
    Have you considered sheeting over the area and avoiding any risk?

Good luck.
    Not much risk to simply clean off old tiles & adhesive and re-tile so long as masks etc are used. But often a better choice to remove it all as a reno is being done - otherwise just another continuation of that nasty heritage for someone else in future.

Apprentice (new member)

Once again thanks a lot for your suggestions.

If I can avoid it I think I will keep the sheeting there and apply a sealant before the re-tiling. If it starts causing to much mess though then I think I will have to take your advice Bloss and remove the asbestos completely. If I go down that path though then it will take longer. The kitchen and bathroom are not the only places where asbestos exists in my house; I also have the stuff on my eaves, fencing and some of the plumbing pipes are also asbestos. I am not to worried about the asbestos as long as I am aware of it and keep it sealed. I also have pink bats in my ceiling which are made of fibre glass - I think this may be the next health boogey man?

Regards,

Quentin