Hire the best Asbestos Expert

Accidental tamper with Asbestos

Apprentice (new member)

Default Accidental tamper with Asbestos

Hi, I just recently I have found out that the ceilings of my old house could have contained asbestos. I have recently read that even the tiniest asbestos fibre can do so much damage. As I was reading about it, I remember for parties(before covid) we would put tacs(those pins) to attach decorations onto our roof. I have been extremely anxious from there on out, especially when my mom had told me our old house was built in 1970’s. A time where asbestos was a popular building material. My roof was those popcorn roofs. It wasn’t falling off on its own unless we accidentally threw pillows/ balloons up there(which has happened) or put tacs on it. I don’t think we have drilled anything onto the ceiling, though we did hammer some nails up on walls(which could also have asbestos). I remember there were quite a few tacs put up there, we also did detach them which could have also tampered with it. Im so afraid of it to the point where I’ve lost sleep because of it, and even just thinking about it causes me to freak out.

Should I be worried? (This was in my old house, we moved on September 30 to our house that was actually made in 2020.)

Almost everyone on the planet has been exposed to asbestos, knowingly or otherwise. I remember making rabbit boxes with asbestos in the sixties cutting the sheets with a handsaw.
    Consider yourself fortunate that you have now moved out, and don't worry about the past. Asbestosis is the result of occupational exposure in addition to individual response to carcinogenic material, and the risk resulting from occasional or in your case hypothetical exposure is minimal or non existent.
    Enjoy your new home.

Quote Originally Posted by yzabelle58 View Post
    Should I be worried?
    What good will that do you? May as well worry about any of the many things that could eventually kill you.

As for exposure, there are entire generations of people exposed to asbestos. I recall my father in the 80s using a circular saw to cut through recycled asbestos sheets to make all sorts of things. This was even during the times that there was an emerging awareness of the dangers of it and even my mum was telling him not to do it, but he had this "ahhh, can't be that bad" attitude. I recall him making the dog kennel out of it and was covered in dust. He also spent a good chunk of his life as a heavy smoker. He passed away only recently in his mid 80s and not from anything asbestos related. (Although he did develop emphysema from smoking.)

I recall around 15 years ago doing renovations and breaking up old wall sheets in a confined room so that I could fit them into large garbage bags. No mask. Later found out it was all asbestos.

Again, there are entire generations which have been exposed and it sounds like your exposure may be minimal if the ceiling was sound and you weren't exposed to any significant ceiling works. There would be many thousands of apartment blocks, schools, homes, etc, that would have had this type of stucco ceiling.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...

Don't watch this if you have any anxiety issues over asbestos exposure.
    For the rest of us, the video shows a brief history of the industrial use of asbestos in the UK and when the dangers of its use became known. I was quite surprised by the date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c6TNqB_WKk
    “What a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason away”- The Doobie Brothers

No point being worried now. You probably get more dangerous exposure from refueling the mower, or parties with friends that smoke anyway.

Just be smart moving forward and avoid further contact. Be alert, not alarmed as they say.

Perhaps if you are still stressed about it you could go and get a health check including a lung scan.
    Measure twice, cut once, trim some off the end, trim some more. Too short. Rinse, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Spottiswoode View Post

Perhaps if you are still stressed about it you could go and get a health check including a lung scan.
    X-ray (CT) scans come with their own risk. MRIs are slow and expensive but, as far as we know, carry no risk to health. I doubt that a doctor would prescribe a scan if the asbestos “exposure” was as low as described.
    “What a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason away”- The Doobie Brothers

In my last employ, workers who had been potentially exposed to asbestos were put on a monitoring plan, which included some sort of lung scan. I assume x-ray, done under workers comp or similar I guess.

OP is in Canada. I don’t know how their medical system works, but it may be worth getting medical advice. If the stress is real, it’s privably doing more harm than the potential exposure.
    Measure twice, cut once, trim some off the end, trim some more. Too short. Rinse, Repeat.

Those popcorn ceilings very rarely made of asbestos. Usually only industrial buildings had asbestos ceilings. There was no need to fit asbestos ceilings to a domestic property.

As for being exposed, you can unexpose yourself so no use getting anxious and stressed over it. There are certainly much more to worry about, especially this year.

There is unlikely to be one person in the modern world who hasn’t been exposed to asbestos at some point. Until it’s completely eradicated from Houses, industrial buildings, car parts, the ground where it dug etc we will unintentionally be exposed. We’re just lucky now that our exposure is very low compared to when it was used on a regular basis.

Yes it can kill, some, but that’s a minority. It’s not like being exposed to the Chernobyl reactor where any exposure is a death sentence. Most of those who have died from asbestos exposure were those who worked with it for years or married to those who were. Usually these people had existing lung deformities. I know two old chippys in their 70s and 80s who worked with asbestos their entire lives and they’re still fit as a fiddle.

Dont go eating an asbestos sheet instead of bread with your minestrone soup, but the odd incidental exposure will hardly do you any carnage. Be mindful of the chance for asbestos when doing renovations or painting external surfaces Like old eaves, old heater flues. In a domestic setting The biggest likelihood of exposure is the eaves, glue under tiles/lino and in old bathrooms & kitchens where it was used on the walls.