Hire the best Asbestos Expert

Another freak out story

Apprentice (new member)

Default Another freak out story

i bought a house that has popcorn ceilings and i used some water in a spray bottle to wet the ceiling and take a sample following instructions from a company that does abatement work. the company who told me to to do this do not suggest any other safety procedures, however, so besides wearing a mask (not respirator) i don't take any more precautions, and even leave the window in the room open where i take the sample and went away for a weekend without sealing it up. I came back after the weekend and was working in this room for another hour or so (so with dry asbestos probably flying around from the hole in the ceiling), and it wasn't until i got the positive test result back and I started reading more about asbestos that I got really freaked out that I probably did something dangerous. I was panicked and painted over the hole but probably caused more disturbance doing that, and finally last week had the entire house properly abated and tested by a different company.

i feel incredibly stupid and scared that i did this, and feel like im coming down with symptoms from exposure now a few weeks later; feel like my lungs haven't been 100%, and some other symptoms. does anyone else have any similar experiences? can't believe i did something so dumb.

Jon
    Golden Member

Default Another freak out story

Any symptoms you are experiencing are just in your mind.

IF you had any exposure AND IF it is going to cause you problems it will be years down the track.

Don't disturb the ceiling and leave it to the professionals.

Se

Apprentice (new member)

Yea, that's what the doctors all tell me, but I still feel weird and a lump in my throat. Need to relax.... what's done is done I suppose. Thanks for the input.

Asbestos, while dangerous, is fairly low risk. The likelihood of issues from a minor encounter such as yours is fairly low. Consider how much exposure there is from encounters such as your with millions of people doing similar worldwide and how many people have issues. He vast majority of people with issues have either been in the industry for a long g time or have been silly with it creating masses of dust without protection. There is asbestos naturally present in the air we breathe in very low quantities as well. Also what Jon said, worrying too much about it now will cause more stress and have a worse effect on your health.

You are far far more likely to come to harm from smoking or fumes from petrol and diesel engines.

Take proper precautions in the future. Have the asbestos removed or covered and continue life
    Measure twice, cut once, trim some off the end, trim some more. Too short. Rinse, Repeat.

4K Club Member

After WW2 hundreds of thousands of houses in Australia were constructed with asbestos cladding and/or roofing and also cornices, decorative roses and other objects made with asbestos fillers. Occupants (including myself) have unwittingly drilled, cut, sanded and broken up materials containing asbestos over the decades and only since ~1980s have regulations come in for safe handling of asbestos in demolition. In practically all cases the victims of mesothelioma are people who were industrial employees with long term exposure to airborne asbestos fibres, not the hapless home handymen like you and me. You really should not worry about it, but put it down to experience.

https://www.asbestos.com/mesothelioma/australia/
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by amaturerenovato View Post
    i bought a house that has popcorn ceilings and i used some water in a spray bottle to wet the ceiling and take a sample following instructions from a company that does abatement work. the company who told me to to do this do not suggest any other safety procedures, however, so besides wearing a mask (not respirator) i don't take any more precautions, and even leave the window in the room open where i take the sample and went away for a weekend without sealing it up. I came back after the weekend and was working in this room for another hour or so (so with dry asbestos probably flying around from the hole in the ceiling), and it wasn't until i got the positive test result back and I started reading more about asbestos that I got really freaked out that I probably did something dangerous. I was panicked and painted over the hole but probably caused more disturbance doing that, and finally last week had the entire house properly abated and tested by a different company.

i feel incredibly stupid and scared that i did this, and feel like im coming down with symptoms from exposure now a few weeks later; feel like my lungs haven't been 100%, and some other symptoms. does anyone else have any similar experiences? can't believe i did something so dumb.
    It may be that if one absorbs just one particle of asbestos fibre it might be possible to contract mesothelioma.

However, this is most unlikely.

Again - MOST UNLIKELY

Face it - you are going to die (eventually) of SOMETHING. However, unless you have been working in an area where asbestos fibres were "all pervasive" in the atmosphere concernesd, mesothelioma. is not high on the list.

I must admit that I am saying this with the perspective of my being 83 years of age, so that I am much more likely to die of other conditions.

As Mr.Spock was want to say "Live long and prosper."

Quote Originally Posted by amaturerenovato View Post
    Yea, that's what the doctors all tell me, but I still feel weird and a lump in my throat. Need to relax.... what's done is done I suppose. Thanks for the input.
    The lump in your throat is normal every male has it.

You are worrying over nothing,
    Traditionally the people that die from asbestos exposure are the ones who worked in the mines for years, and their wives because they used to wash all their husbands contaminated clothes,

Plenty of other things to worry about in life.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Apprentice (new member)

Hi all - well, I have survived another few months - thanks for your reassuring messages.

There is still some of this material in a hallway in another property I have, and some of it is slightly damaged and I'm afraid might be crumbling in some areas.

What is the best way to deal with that? I don't want to remove the entire thing - can I use spray paint to cover over the slight damaged areas? When I got that material wet the last time, it starts to buckle so I am afraid of adding too much liquid.

Best way to deal with it is to call in the asbestos guys and remove it, this way it's gone and you don't need to worry about it anymore.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir