Hire the best Asbestos Expert

Is this asbestos sheeting? Bathroom subfloor

Novice

Default Is this asbestos sheeting? Bathroom subfloor

House is a 1980's one built on brick stumps. So it has brick external walls, with a chipboard timber floor.

I ripped up the carpet in the bedroom, cleaned up the chipboard and started laying the timber floor on top.
    There is an attached ensuite. The door slides into the wall crevice.

When laying the flooring in the wall between the ensuite and bedroom, right where the sliding door goes into, I found this.

Is asbestos used as flooring in bathrooms? From above I just see tiles, from below just chipboard. From the adjacent bedroom where I had the flooring ripped up, the bathroom flooring is about 20mm higher.

Im assuming the bathroom has the same chipboard subfloor, then some form of sheeting laid on top possibly to waterproof? And tiles im guessing adhered directly to that mysteru sheeting.

Will add another pic or two.

Thoughts? Can you tell from pictures like this?

http://rs439.pbsrc.com/albums/qq120/...70.jpg~320x480

2K Club Member

It will be ceramic tile underlay ( a fibro sheet laid over timber floors before tiling) and if its from before

the mid 80s it will be asbestos

Novice

Get it tested for sure.

Old Chippy 6K

No need to waste your money on testing or more pics - it will be asbestos sheet. Of course you were wearing dust mask and safety gear when pulling all that stuff up - because when we work which will might make dust of any type we always do that - so not problem anyway right? See this link Disposing of household asbestos | NSW EPA - in NSW under 10m2 can be removed privately - but must be handled and disposed of in specific ways as this EPA site shows. There are only some landfills that will accept asbestos waste - a number to call is on that site. Fines for not complying are very high, but the biggest imperative IMO is do the right thing by others.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

2K Club Member

Reading the OP I'm guessing you are not upgrading the bathroom. If so you need to seal any exposed

edges. Use PVA glue or Bondcrete diluted 3 to 1 with water and paint on a couple of coats and

remember it has to be properly removed when you do the bathroom

Novice

Agree with goldie; more likely to be fibro sheet underlay, but as suggested if you are uncertain, get it tested. Older properties didn't bother with fibro sheet underlay, they just put the concrete slab down and tiled over that. If chipboard was used as flooring, I think it would be unlikely that they would have used asbestos as sheeting as opposed to fibro underlay. The 80s were on the cusp, but unlikely to be asbestos.

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by peejay View Post
    If chipboard was used as flooring, I think it would be unlikely that they would have used asbestos as sheeting as opposed to fibro underlay. The 80s were on the cusp, but unlikely to be asbestos.
    Ceramic tile underlay contained asbestos up to the change over period in the early 80s. but existing stocks

were not recalled so continued to be used well into the 80s so could easily be asbestos