Hire the best Asbestos Expert

Asbestos vacuum cleaners and PPE

Apprentice (new member)

Default Asbestos vacuum cleaners and PPE

Howdy.
    New here.
    About to embark on a few projects around the house.
    Our house is a circa 1960s, hardwood frame, brick lower and weather board upper.
    There is asbestos basically everywhere. I had a piece downstairs sampled - white (chrysotile).
    Planning on getting the asbestos roof removed soon to fit some solar panels in.

Considering we have so much asbestos here, I was thinking about doing an asbestos course and buying a vacuum cleaner.
    If I'm going to be doing anything with asbestos I'd like to do it properly.
    Also I've noticed evidence of trades (before we bought) doing stupid things with sheets so it'd give me peace of mind to know I can vacuum any possible AC dust i come across.
    Getting people in to gut the house in 1 or 2 goes just isn't practical when we've got to live here aswell so I was thinking I could do a room at a time when I had the chance. That way we can shuffle the furniture around without major hassles.

Has anyone had any experience with buying an asbestos vacuum cleaner?
    Any brands or places you can recommend.
    Also where do people buy their PPE?

Cheers
    M
    Brisbane

Old Chippy 6K

Suggest you read the stickies and the Library docs just to be clear about what are your obligations. See here too: Removing asbestos | Asbestos | Queensland Government and here: http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/workplace...s-cop-2011.pdf

So you need to do the course and after you do that you will know what kind of gear you need to get and what steps you need to take to safely do what you are planning to do. The asbestos roof removal by professionals IMO.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Apprentice (new member)

thanks Bloss - will check out the stickies and library docs

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by martins View Post
    thanks Bloss - will check out the stickies and library docs
    I'm curious. What about insurance in your case? I was talking to an asbestos remover the other day and he was telling me about his incredibly expensive insurance. AFAIK your normal house insurance will not cover you for liability.

Apprentice (new member)

Hi Shauck,

Just wondering what you mean by liability.
    Queenslanders are allowed to remove 10m2 or less if they follow the recommendations on the gov websites. Doing a course would allow me to remove a bit more. I don't really see how liability would be different for these 2 cases.

If it's done with care and diligence and following all the gov recommendations I believe it is safe to do so.
    Asbestos is dangerous but is removed every day by professionals. I don't think people would be happy to pay to get asbestos removed it they thought the removalist would certainly die in 30 years. I don't think asbestos removalists would do it if they knew they were going to die.

I'm hoping the course will allow me to remove sheets safely (to me and everyone else) and avoid any possible liable scenario to arise.

The plan with the roof is to get professionals in.
    The vacuum and asbestos course is more for removal of walls and ceilings around the house at various times.
    Also there appears to have been some dodgy tradesman work downstairs where they've cut into sheets with powertools and broken AC sheets to fit pipes etc. This was before we bought.
    It would give me peace of mind to know I can go around these rooms and vacuum any corner where AC dust may be sitting in accordance with government standards - ie with a hepa class H vacuum.

I could imagine insurance for an asbestos removalist would be high.
    With DIY there is always issues with liability and insurance. Owner builders aren't covered by workcover etc and are accepting they are running a risk.

Maybe I'm alone in wanting to do some removal of AC sheets myself and wanting to buy all the proper equipment so I have it on hand when needed. Part of it is money saving and part of it is knowing that if I've done it, then I know how much care has been taken. I'm sure most asbestos removalists are quality but some might be a bit careless, as with any field.

Anyway, I'm still to read the stickies and libraries to find where to buy hepa class H vacuums and PPE at the best value to see if this path is even worth while/economical.

Cheers,
    M

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by martins View Post
    Hi Shauck,

Just wondering what you mean by liability.
    Public Liability Insurance. This guy said his insurance cost was based on how large his jobs were, which were sometimes pretty big and so his premium was 100,000 dollars a year. He also said, to get his license renewed each year, he had to have the insurance. Obviously DIY is a different matter but to become licensed and become an asbestos removalist, requires insurance. I'm just wondering if what you are considering doing, requires insurance and if it does, it's a cost factor to consider. That's all.

Apprentice (new member)

100k. Wow.

As far as I know I shouldn't need anything extra but if you hear otherwise I'd love to know and if I come across something in my research, I'll post it here.

Thanks for the heads up.

m

3K Club Member

No worries. That company did some really big jobs - hospitals, schools, etc as well as smaller ones and the insurance was based on that so I wouldn't expect (if it was compulsory for you) it to be as much. I did try to search a bit to find out but couldn't find anything. Perhaps talk to the governing body. They'd know for sure if you had to have insurance.

3K Club Member

Ok, I had a bit of a look about and found below links. Basically, in QLD, a licence is not issued for individual home owners to remove their own asbestos.

Asbestos - Workplace Health and Safety Queensland

http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/...20-%20PCBU.pdf

Apprentice (new member)

Cheers Shauck

Novice

I have done the training and bought a vac from allens industrial. it wasnt cheap ($1600) but makes a @@@@@@ job so much easier and safer.

I spent almost a whole day vacuuming in and around our bathroom after we ripped it out. It took me that long to clean every surface. How the pros get in and out in a couple of hours makes me wonder how thorough they are..

Apprentice (new member)

Cheers Vince

What model did you go for?
    I've pretty much decided on the HZQ-200 Numatic but haven't bought yet

Yeah I like the idea of being able to do really thorough job (with all the safety gear) with only that initial outlay - plus the bags and sheeting and disposal. Ha, the ongoing outlay is probably not small but still - happy with the path

Novice

I would have bought that model but they were out of stock and I needed it in a hurry. I ended up with the 23L model which i think is the next one up.

I searched high and low for vacuums and these seemed the best option in Brisbane.

I was lucky to be able to split the cost with 2 other mates so it worked out pretty well for us.

I think the pros get in and so quick because there are so many of them! we had 6 in our place...They still missed little bits but mostly it was very clean.

Apprentice (new member)

I too am renovating a house that a strong possibility of asbestos present, and wanted to be prepared should I encounter it.

I did some googling and ordered a Numatic HZQ-370 vacuum from a UK shop, Green and White: Numatic HZQ370

The 370 is the same as the 200 version which is $1430 inc GST at Allens Industrial, but a bigger size.

Cost was about $800 inc UPS delivery and extra bags, after VAT was deducted. I paid with PayPal and had it in 5 days including the weekend (after it went from the UK to Germany, to the US, to Melbourne, to Sydney then back to Melbourne!)

Green & Whites email correspondence was very quick. Most UK shops didn't want to ship internationally. Can highly recommend them.

Apprentice (new member)

Default H Class vacuun hire Brisbane

Guys where can I hire an H class asbestos Vacuum for the day in Brisbane? I'm near the CBD.

Thanks )

Apprentice (new member)

Can anybody help? Also where is the best place to buy the plastic, signage, etc for asbestos disposal in Brisbane?

Thanks

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by homerlovesbeer View Post
    Can anybody help? Also where is the best place to buy the plastic, signage, etc for asbestos disposal in Brisbane?
    I like City Hire at Kelvin Grove. There is a place in Pickering St Alderley that are smaller but can be cheaper. There's also Kennards in lots of places. Not sure I would want to scare the neighbours with signage.