Hire the best Asbestos Expert

Can someone identify this material?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Can someone identify this material?

Hi guys,

I am looking at doing some renos. I would say the house was built in early 70's late 60's in Brisbane. I have taken some photos as I am not too sure what the materials that the walls and ceiling are constructed of, some appears to be masonite or possible fibro? Ideas? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image058.jpg   image059.jpg   image061.jpg  

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by davo79 View Post
    Hi guys,

I am looking at doing some renos. I would say the house was built in early 70's late 60's in Brisbane. I have taken some photos as I am not too sure what the materials that the walls and ceiling are constructed of, some appears to be masonite or possible fibro? Ideas? Thanks.
    The picture of the light base area is too blurred to really tell but looks very much like fibro = asbestos sheeting form the 70s. Read the stickies about how to handle.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

You would need to see the back to identify what it is. Some types of asbestos you can see the blue fibres in the back of it. Being in the 70's you may be lucky and it's cement sheet, not asbestos. Fingers crossed.

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by Tarasa View Post
    You would need to see the back to identify what it is. Some types of asbestos you can see the blue fibres in the back of it. Being in the 70's you may be lucky and it's cement sheet, not asbestos. Fingers crossed.
    Asbestos cement sheeting was not banned fully until 1985 - and buildings up to 1982 (and therefore the 70s) are very likely to have it - 1982-84 quite possibly and renovations too. As I said read the stickies for your state.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Apprentice (new member)

Although it's very blurry, the photo showing where the light fitting was suggests to me that it almost certainly isn't masonite, which of course is dark brown before painting. It's also much less rigid than the FC sheeting of those times. Advice to read the stickies regarding what to do next is spot on. We have a stack of masonite in our old cottage in Kedron (it's coming out in 2 weeks during the reno/extension). But there is definitely asbestos in the eaves and other places (the golf ball pattern sort, won't bother testing as the asbestos removal is included in the builder's demolition quote). I've usually assumed that postwar-70s work and additions to old houses used asbestos in Brisbane (built in verandahs, under house bathrooms and second showers etc). If in doubt, assume the worse of the two options and proceed with appropriate caution. I installed a few stainless steel shelves in my friend's flat in New Farm into asbestos walls following the stickies here and it went swimmingly, I must say.

cheers

Old Chippy 6K

get a focussed pic of the centre light fitting. Use your thumbnail to see if you can put a dent in the surface - if you can then might well be canite which was commonly used in ceilings at the time - the uneven sagging in the joins suggests that's possible - asbestos would normally stay flat between the nails at those spacings. But Davo79 seems to be awol anyway. . .

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks guys for the information. I suspect its definately some form of cement sheeting but just not sure if it asbestos, I have read that cement sheeting back then contained 10% asbestos at best. Its really quite thin compared to traditional asbestos sheeting. I understand that masonite is dark brown and can be scratched, this cant be scratched easy, but it has no dimples either. It just looks like cement sheet. Im pretty sure the ceilings are the same and not caneite as these contain the same size nails and are grey when I look in the roof cavity above.

In any case I have left the bedrooms in tact, the living areas will need replacing though as will the ceiling in that area, guess I will treat it as worst case and take the precautions. Might even just take a sample to get tested out of interest.

Old Chippy 6K

Thanks guys for the information. I suspect its definately some form of cement sheeting but just not sure if it asbestos, I have read that cement sheeting back then contained 10% asbestos at best. Its really quite thin compared to traditional asbestos sheeting. I understand that masonite is dark brown and can be scratched, this cant be scratched easy, but it has no dimples either. It just looks like cement sheet. Im pretty sure the ceilings are the same and not caneite as these contain the same size nails and are grey when I look in the roof cavity above.

In any case I have left the bedrooms in tact, the living areas will need replacing though as will the ceiling in that area, guess I will treat it as worst case and take the precautions. Might even just take a sample to get tested out of interest.
    Absestos sheet is generally only 4-7mm thick - so not sure what you think was 'traditional' asbestos sheeting? It is mainly cement just as is the case today - the asbestos fibre was used to give strength just as cellulose is used nowadays and horsehair etc was used in the past in plaster etc.

q9

I suspect its definately some form of cement sheeting but just not sure if it asbestos
    At the age of the house you have, I would be confident in saying it does contain asbestos.

There is also no such thing as "traditional" asbestos sheeting. The stuff in my bathroom was a brand no-one had ever heard of, and it didn't have any "tell tale" markings like blue lines, dimples, or the like.

Best to assume from the age that it is ACM, and treat it as such.
    Semtex fixes all

Apprentice (new member)

Really limits what I was hoping to do with the place not to mention the extra costs with getting it removed if that is what I decide to do. I will get a couple of samples tested just to see. Would anyone know of a good joint sealing compound, there are no strips on the ceiling to cover the joins but over the years this has cracked and now there is about a 1mm gap that goes straight into the roof space....just looking to tidy things up for now.

Also too, the paint on the cealing which is possible AC is flaking but im guessing I should not be sanding this back either until I know what its made of, in which case how does one prep the ceiling for a repaint?

Thanks again,

Dave

Old Chippy 6K

Answer is well covered in the Stickies - link above