Hire the best Asbestos Expert

Existing asbestos roof removed but debris left behind...

Novice

Default Existing asbestos roof removed but debris left behind...

Hi all,

My house was built in the mid 1950's and was initially a single level house with an asbestos cement corrugated roof.

In the 1970's the original owner extended upwards and built a second level using the original roof as the floor frame with some various strengthening in places.

During the extension, the roof was removed (apart from one asbestos cement roof sheet) and i'm assuming quite brutally because there are many pieces broken and lying ontop of my lower level ceiling plaster and minor pieces under dirt around one side of the house.

My house also has evaprotive ducted airconditioning where the ducts are routed through this ceiling space.

I was just wondering your opinions in regards to my health and exposure to dormant asbestos like this?
    I've contacted an air quality company to monitor the air content but they didnt seem to think it would be worth it?

If the ducts have some leaks (which i'm sure nearly all do) will my house be blowing asbestos all around the house?
    Please see attached photo's for a good understanding.
    I'm not sure what to do... bear the costs of complete removal and adequate cleanup?
    I know it could cost alot....
    Thanks,
    Peersy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imag3771.jpg   imag3774.jpg   imag3775.jpg   imag3776.jpg  

2K Club Member

Default I don't scare easily...but,

I'm one of those bullet proof aussies that believe it won't happen to me.
    However that roof space and what I can only assume is asbestos, by what I can see, is a bit scary...

We all see the "panicked" threads here and most times I don't get the concern as it's only dangerous if it's broken or not painted/sealed.
    Just about all you have is broken, and none of it is painted.

Once you have confirmed it's asbestos it'd be my priority to get it gone...

Looks like the bad stuff!
    If it were me I'd have the pros in there to get rid of it.

2K Club Member

What they said Definitely a job for the pros. Needs a complete clean out including vacuum.

Don't know much about ducted evaporative air con but if it is like ducted heating you only have one duct

sucking ( return air ) the rest are all blowing so they wouldn't be a prob if they were leaking.

Novice

Thanks for your replies.
    Yes Air con sucks air from one location only in the hallway (no cement sheet of any kind nearby).
    I am also filling all gaps where I can get to with cans of expandafoam to attempt sealing the roof space as best as I can.

I've contacted the pro's and arranging inspections/quotes.

It is a bit of a mess and will take quite alot of effort and patience to thoroughly vacuum all the ceiling and pick up the larger pieces. plus the large sheet will need to be carefully broken in managable sizes...

it's a real weird setup, the a small portion of the roof drainage collection runs a downpipe on the inside of this roofspace and is supported by timber ontop of the old roof sheeting and then outside the eave!

Really fun stuff.

Fingers crossed my family hasn't been exposed too much

2K Club Member

Be interested to hear what it costs. That down pipe is copper so its not going to rust out but not

ideal to have it there. Can they access the area from out side? removing part of the roof or even

a gable end?

Apprentice (new member)

I'd certainly be seeking a professional clean up, but I wouldn't lose sleep over exposure to yourself and your family.
    The broken pieces have obviously been there a long time. Deterioration causing airborne fibres would have to be minimal, unless you or someone else has been crawling or stepping all over it in the roof space while you've been there.

Novice

No access via outside, yes its a gable roof but quite intricately built.
    Have received one quote of about $7k without allowances/independent hygienist/not including GST.

Thanks, I've gone up there a couple of times with a mask.
    A couple of years ago before I knew anything about Asbestos, I removed about 4m^2 of 1970's tile underlay without PPE... I've been scared of my exposure ever since.
    I'm 30 years old and haven't been educated about the subject, only self research after exposure...

Around 12 months ago a Plumber had disconnected a 70 gallon electric hot water system (hidden behind a corner in the photos) but that is the only works, system is now abandoned.
    You can crawl along the bottom chord and stand up at the high end.

I'm arranging another inspection/quote next week.

I wouldn't loose any sleep over the exposure, catching asbestosis is on a par to being killed in a plane crash, a lot do it but very few die from it. There are many of us who had exposure but will never go on to be effected by it, so it really is a case of be alert but not alarmed. Having said that I would be inclined to get that muck out of the roof space it ticks all the wrong boxes, equally it would be almost impossible for any of it to enter the ducting system from what you have described.

I should make it clear though that no one should see it as harmless, the stuff should be handled and dealt with according to current regulations.

Novice

Of course, thank you johnc.

2K Club Member

Default Lost a father in law to mesthelioma

And my memory tells me that only 3% of persons exposed actually contract the disease, but of the 3% it's pretty much 100% fatal...

He did admit they knew better that to cut with grinders or circular saws with friction blades, but, there was a strong macho "it'll never happen to me" in the building trades culture years ago...

I think it is probably 3% of those with high exposure, it takes 15 to 60 years for an illness to develop from initial exposure so many probably contain the time bomb inside but something else gets them first. When I started playing with the stuff we used those hand held manual cement sheet cutters so most residue fell to the ground, we were aware you needed to avoid the dust. My exposure was minimal and limited to around the home and working bees, you do wonder but it doesn't pay to think to much about it.

Golden Member

My father built sheds with the stuff , used it on his boat exhausts all without masks and lived to 95
    My mother grew up playing in the stuff while her own father built there house , she is now 86

still would be cautious doing anything with asbestos.