Hire the best Asbestos Expert

Lino Tiles Under Ceramic tiles

Apprentice (new member)

Default Lino Tiles Under Ceramic tiles

The house was built in the 70s and we are taking up the tiles on the kitchen floor. Under these tiles are lino tiles with a pattern on that seem brittle and under that is black glue then polished floorboards. What are the chances of these lino tiles containing asbestos.

Golden Member

100%

Sound like the same as I have in my IP. Tiling bathroom so decided not to try and scrape off asbestos tiles and black s**t which was still sticky underneath. Nailed cement sheet on top and tiled that. In hindsight I should have tried lifting tiles (not a big asbestos risk I reackon - and I did have a mask ready) and lay cement sheet on the black glue left as it did not matter. The reason for this is that I found some tiles did start coming loose when nailing the sheet down and those tiles are really dense - I bent many cement sheet nails trying to nail through tile to mys surprise.

But if you want the original floor boards buy a tile scraper (Bunnings) and put on a long handle on it to save bending down as much. Then I reckon you will have a lot of work to do with kero, turps or adhesive remover etc to get the black tar stuff off - and I think it would have to be pretty clean before sanding, and assuming the glue removal process has not seeped tto far into floorboards

Good luck.

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by rod1949 View Post
    100%
    Nope that's just not so - some vinyl tiles had some asbestos as a filler - most in fact didn't.

Those that did usually contain a very small quantity of asbestos (2-10% mostly under 4%) used as a binder and this is tightly bonded with the vinyl polymers. Because of their composition, they are quite safe in-situ and pose negligible risk. Even cutting and breaking poses little risk as the asbestos particles do not become airborne.

Even so read the stickies about removing and handling - the safety precautions are cheap and effective - why wouldn't you use them? The law requires you to use accredited asbestos removalist but follow the advice in the stickies and dispose of sensibly.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bloss View Post
    Nope that's just not so - some vinyl tiles had some asbestos as a filler - most in fact didn't.

Those that did usually contain a very small quantity of asbestos (2-10% mostly under 4%) used as a binder and this is tightly bonded with the vinyl polymers. Because of their composition, they are quite safe in-situ and pose negligible risk. Even cutting and breaking poses little risk as the asbestos particles do not become airborne.

Even so read the stickies about removing and handling - the safety precautions are cheap and effective - why wouldn't you use them? The law requires you to use accredited asbestos removalist but follow the advice in the stickies and dispose of sensibly.
    Bloss, you seem to be having two bites of the cherry or maybe three with your waiver at the bottom

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by rod1949 View Post
    Bloss, you seem to be having two bites of the cherry or maybe three with your waiver at the bottom
    Not at all - I just like to stick to the evidence and the facts. In this case the claim that 100% of vinyl tiles contained asbestos was simply wrong. I state the case - there is plenty of reference material already given by me and others to confirm what I say - if posters ask me I generally provide links.

As to protection - I reckon that's simply common sense and because ALL dusts are meant to be outside our bodies not inside and since they are easy to use why would you not use them (as I said). That is unrelated to real and perceived risk levels - if you can effectively remove a risk to zero easily it seems silly not to do so.

The caveat at the bottom of my posts is a CYA clause - I am not going to be held responsible for the actions taken by those who read my posts. I expect them to look at the sources I give and compare other sources and make up their own mind - that's how I do things.

If I have a contract with someone to give advice or perform work, paid or not, that's one thing, when I am simply offering an informed opinion that's quite another. I am not getting paid for advice on here neither is anyone else and I expect people to take it or leave it. I give it on the basis of the best information I have - not 'belief', but experience, from reputable sources and scientific evidence so far as I have found them.

And if I am shown to have that evidence wrong I change my mind - what other response is possible?

In some cases the stickies or posts show that whether right or wrongly based there are often laws that govern what can or should be done. Like all laws we can choose to abide or not - but best to know about them and if choosing to ignore them know the consequences too. If you want to change the law simply ignoring them or advising others to do so is rarely a good way to do it.

So no I am not having a 'bob each way', 'two bites of the cherry' or 'having my cake and eating it too' and not quite sure what point you were making.

I just try to be helpful in a factual and accessible way. The responses I've seen suggest I manage OK at that - so I'll keep on doing it.

Even with this reply I have tried to explain my reasoning when my first inclination was to use a well known two-word epithet - because I didn't use it doesn't mean I didn't think it.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.