Hire the best Solar Panel Expert

Looking for 12 volt solar system

Default Looking for 12 volt solar system

Ok seeing as the WA government is ramping up power bills. Maybe this is in anticipation of a jump in electric cars pulling off subsidised power. I dont mind them reflecting the true cost of coal any rate.

It will make people rethink their house "R" rating which is good.

Id wish theyd scale the price to reward low energy users but never mind, another story.

I'm looking for a 12 volt light solution run by Solar panels and batteries maybe even a small wind engine.

Ok I don't want back to grid at the cost to buy a new car and a net pay back of 20 years along with a fan dangled exorbitantly priced smart meter and service fee.. Id rather just have Solar Panels and maybe a small wind engine going to batteries then running 12 volt wires through the ceiling for common long run low lighting and the possibility of running some other low voltage devices like a laptop. Maybe even a large low revolution fan to suck in cool air at night.

The rest (240 VOLT) will be just the TV and Fridge.

The 12 volt PV with batteries and say LED lights? No need for 12 volt downlight transformers so lots saved. At eat Ill have power when the power goes down next from last week.

Does anyone have any info on this type of solution?
    https://www.instagram.com/perth_bricklayer_wa

What sort of batteries are best? Big and cheap is ok.

There are many important things to consider when using batteries. One of these things is "depth of discharge" (DOD). As a general rule, any battery will have a long life & good performance if they are not discharged more than 50% of their capacity.
    Also, it is highly recommended to carry out "battery equalisation" on banks of batteries. This requires the use of a charger with this process as one of it's functions.

Considering a DOD of no more than 50%, "deep cycle" batteries are not needed. These kinds of batteries are particularly good if the load uses unexpected high amounts of current (short bursts) as opposed to a long & slow use of current.

Batteries hate heat. Keep them in a cool & well ventilated area for a longer life.

Thankyou so much!!! Encore Encore!

More, anyone?

Retired Marine Engineer 1K Club Member Ashore's Avatar

Try the caravan and motorhome groups they have been at this for a while,
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Try the caravan and motorhome groups they have been at this for a while,

I sussed one. $4000 caravan job including lights will have a net payback of about 4 years.

The big one is am I still entitled to a rebate? Actually no rebate because an installer isn't being used. How freaking sappy is that...

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by autogenous View Post
    Ok seeing as the WA government is ramping up power bills. Maybe this is in anticipation of a jump in electric cars pulling off subsidised power. I dont mind them reflecting the true cost of coal any rate.

It will make people rethink their house "R" rating which is good.

Id wish theyd scale the price to reward low energy users but never mind, another story.

I'm looking for a 12 volt light solution run by Solar panels and batteries maybe even a small wind engine.

Ok I don't want back to grid at the cost to buy a new car and a net pay back of 20 years along with a fan dangled exorbitantly priced smart meter and service fee.. Id rather just have Solar Panels and maybe a small wind engine going to batteries then running 12 volt wires through the ceiling for common long run low lighting and the possibility of running some other low voltage devices like a laptop. Maybe even a large low revolution fan to suck in cool air at night.

The rest (240 VOLT) will be just the TV and Fridge.

The 12 volt PV with batteries and say LED lights? No need for 12 volt downlight transformers so lots saved. At eat Ill have power when the power goes down next from last week.

Does anyone have any info on this type of solution?

I have my shed run on a similar system your looking at but very basic, and have been
    thinking for a while to look into doing this to the house but time is the problem.

In the shed I have four old batteries I got for nothing at the local bus company and
    hooked up a 12 volt solar panel and hooked this up to a couple of 12 volt car bulbs
    I had laying around.
    I have also put in a red flashing light on a fake alarm box under the eaves.

So very basic and have never had to charge from mains.
    Have not had time to google to see who has done anything like this to there house.

Auto......this is the best solution. A staged retreat from 240V and one that educates the user in a big way without having to risk too much.

These blokes should be very helpful and they are in Welshpool The 12 Volt Shop

There are plenty of other resources out there as well but 12Volt will be a good start
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

Old Chippy 6K

Plenty of info from here - Alternative Technology Association website
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Cheers fellas. Don't know what Id do without you.