Hire the best Solar Panel Expert

Making my own system

Default Making my own system

Can I build and install my own system using a sparky for the legal bits also can I claim and sell the RECs for a 3kw system...anybody done this ?

Would the electricity company accept this for the FIT?

Golden Member

I know it has to be an "approved" system and that the components are assessed separately - ie PV panels and inverters but I am not sure about combinations.

As with Solar Hot water - has to be a complete system - no retro fits ie you can't hook up collectors to existing tank and claim rebates
    David L
    "A dedicated amateur will always do a better job than a slap dash professional"

1K Club Member

The electricity company might accept it for FIT, but you'll have real trouble claiming REC's for the system if it is not installed by a Clean Energy Council accredited person.

It's a bit of a "closed shop" this whole solar power industry. I'm an electrician and could legally do the work in an electrical sense, but not if I want to claim REC's since, like most electricians, I am not CEC accredited.

I'm starting to get the picture thanks guys ... I have been offered panels out of Europe at $1.27 US per watt from a family member ($3810 US for a 3Kw + inverter )so with the exchange rate it got me thinking but looks like a NO go then. But it does show how much fat there is on the systems because of the RECS keeping the prices high.

Old Chippy 6K

As said - simple answer is no.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

First-Time OB

Quote Originally Posted by jago View Post
    I have been offered panels out of Europe at $1.27 US per watt from a family member ($3810 US for a 3Kw + inverter )so with the exchange rate it got me thinking but looks like a NO go then.
    At US$1.27/W you won't get much cheaper unless you buy half a container full of panels. If you can get the system at the price and can get someone to install it and a company to be willing to FIT, go for it. You're no worse off than buying a complete 'local' system and claiming back the RECS (and at the same time you won't be helping coal-fired power stations to claim they're offsetting' their emissions).

Be aware, to comply for FIT, the panels must meet certain CEC standards:
    PV modules installed in Australia must be certified and approved to AS/NZS5033 Photovoltaic Installations regardless of whether a rebate is sought. This standard is called up by AS3000 which is legislated in each state. Section 4 states that modules shall be compliant with IEC/EN61730 AND either IEC/EN61215 or IEC/EN61646. This was enforced effective 1st June 2009. PV systems above 50 volts (open circuit) or 240 Watts must meet Application Class A of IEC/EN61730.

PV Systems less than 50 volts (open circuit) or 240 Watts do not need IEC/EN61730 Class A however they should have Class C. Please note Class B modules are illegal in Australia. Class C modules will be added to the database, but will not be shown on the website listing.

Once I get the cash sorted Its being consumed at a great rate of knots at the mo and not on the house! Anyhoo I was thinking that I might advertise via the forum to do a bulk group purchase assuming everything stands up to standards for those interested...I know people that have done this on white goods and even evacuated tubes... TBA