Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    3K Club Member

Where did you get that info?

This is what I read:

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/inver...ma-review.html

SMA: 623 reviews 4.43/5

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/inver...ow-review.html

Sungrow: 75 reviews 4.14/5

If Sungrow is as good as SMA then they will be good.

Those who want to ignore the science are increasingly alone. They are on their own shrinking island.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbe View Post
    Where did you get that info?

If Sungrow is as good as SMA then they will be good.
    https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/...erter-testing/

I'm not saying it is better and if SMA wasn't so overpriced then that would be my choice.

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    I have got a deal for 18 Trina 275 panels and a 5K Sungrow inverter (read Sungrow have beaten SMA in performance).
    How much or did you have to sign a confidentiality agreement?

Quote Originally Posted by bros View Post
    how much or did you have to sign a confidentiality agreement?
    3.6k from a local company. I think he cut quite a bit off. He came out yesterday and we both walked around the roof discussing options. Solarquotes have him listed.
    I am only doing now as it costs so much less than it did once and it seems to stack up pretty well as an investment. Fortunately I don't need microinverters and that saves a huge amount on the install.

Community Moderator

3.6k from a local company. I think he cut quite a bit off. He came out yesterday and we both walked around the roof discussing options. Solarquotes have him listed.
    I am only doing now as it costs so much less than it did once and it seems to stack up pretty well as an investment. Fortunately I don't need microinverters and that saves a huge amount on the install.
    I got quotes via Solarquotes and I had three reply. One did it by email and the other two came and looked at the job.

I recently made some inquiries as to the cost and one bloke was realistic and he said my needs would be satisfied by a 1.5Kw system with a 3Kw inverter cost $3400 + $450 from Ergon, the rest wanted to sell me 5Kw and better system and said that my switchboard was OK which I knew was not correct. The first bloke was as I said realistic and twigged I was an electrician and told me what I would have to do to make my switchboard compliant for the new meters.
    Since then I have seen Ergon and I have to upgrade the metering part of the switchboard mainly to bring the wiring up to standard (all wired in black) and to fit a meter active isolation link, meter neutral link and remove a meter do we can get some real estate back on the board.
    Now I can do that myself as I have underground supply and I can get to the service fuse but none of the "solarquotes" recommended installers said anything about this so I was rather disappointed with them.

The bloke who gave me the realistic quote was never on their list.

The install quoted does no include connection to the meter. AGL, and apparently other suppliers, are now doing this for free.

Community Moderator

The install quoted does no include connection to the meter. AGL, and apparently other suppliers, are now doing this for free.
    But not modifying it that will be your problem is it is not up to standard they will walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    But not modifying it that will be your problem is it is not up to standard they will walk away.
    Yes, correct. I sent a pic to AGL and they said it is fine. It has DIN rail breakers and was recently worked on without issue. Though I wonder about the board and asbestos.

Community Moderator

Yes, correct. I sent a pic to AGL and they said it is fine. It has DIN rail breakers and was recently worked on without issue. Though I wonder about the board and asbestos.
    If it is black it has asbestos.

I better start painting it white

Community Moderator

I better start painting it white
    Is it BLACK?

Well yes, a certain shade of black.
    Thing is these smart meters have been rolled out, so they must be working on black boards still.

Community Moderator

Cant be zelemite then.

3K Club Member

When we bought this house way back, the switchboard was in the little office room. Stinked in that room. We had a sparky come in to check the wiring and asked about the smell - he confirmed it was asbestos. Black colour. Came back an hour later and replaced the switchboard panel in a cream colour and the wired fuses with the clickable fuses, and thankfully the stink was gone.

Those who want to ignore the science are increasingly alone. They are on their own shrinking island.

If it is black it has asbestos.
    From what I have found it is pre-'83 that it could be asbestos. I am pretty sure I bought this box around '89. The board feels very smooth.
    I think the box is a Butler brand with a NP branded board.

http://www.news.com.au/national/brea...3b686bdc9a4905

Community Moderator

From what I have found it is pre-'83 that it could be asbestos. I am pretty sure I bought this box around '89. The board feels very smooth.
    I think the box is a Butler brand with a NP branded board.

Power company says meters asbestos free
    If I remember correctly the zelemite boards had a rough feel on the back. I have drilled a lot of zelemite boards but now I know a lot more I wouldn’t. Bit like smoking back then you never knew the harmful effects.

7K Club Member

Since then I have seen Ergon and I have to upgrade the metering part of the switchboard mainly to bring the wiring up to standard (all wired in black) and to fit a meter active isolation link, meter neutral link and remove a meter do we can get some real estate back on the board.
    Now I can do that myself as I have underground supply and I can get to the service fuse but none of the "solarquotes" recommended installers said anything about this so I was rather disappointed with them.
    Now, just because they didn't specify it doesn't mean they weren't going to do it. I mean, aren't electricians 'bound' to bring things up to standard when they touch it? My installer did a bunch to rearrange my circuit board and upgrade some wiring. Sure it may have been covered in the quote, but I totally at ease that they didn't specify it and just did the job. On the other hand, some electricians will "grandstand" as to how wonderful they are...

The bloke who gave me the realistic quote was never on their list.
    Obviously not every installer is on "Solarquotes" or the other quoting (fee for reference) services. Some are, but go 'on hold' when they are too busy to accept quote requests via these services. So it is actually possible your "bloke" is on a list, somewhere, or was, or will be. It doesn't have any bearing at all on their quality IMHO, but helps newcomers to the technology have some level of comfort and a place to start

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Now, just because they didn't specify it doesn't mean they weren't going to do it. I mean, aren't electricians 'bound' to bring things up to standard when they touch it? My installer did a bunch to rearrange my circuit board and upgrade some wiring. Sure it may have been covered in the quote, but I totally at ease that they didn't specify it and just did the job.
    It has always been hard to determine when to bring things up to the current standard. Now if it is a safety issue yes it has to be done but as mine is not a safety issue it doesn't have to be done unless other work is done eg fit new meter where it would have to be brought up to this standard https://www.ergon.com.au/__data/asse...R328-QECMM.pdf In addition my metering board is totally full with three meters and a control relay so I have to remove all the meters sleeve all the actives and fit a metering and neutral link.

You could go on forever and not upgrade it and it would be quite safe.

As I said there is work that needs to be done and the installer could just go and submit the paperwork to Ergon for new meters and Ergon could come out and find it not to the current standard and tell me to fix it at my cost. I did a job for my daughter and I forgot to put one bridge in but they never installed the new meter and sent me a notice to correct it even thought there was heaps of offcuts laying around they could have done it themselves.

Some of the upgrades are for my benefit eg individual RCBO for each power circuit instead of one RCD and three CB's for each of my power circuits. This will have s secondary benefit is getting real estate back on the board for the solar CB and main switches for the three tariffs.

Helioenergy did the install. Trino Honey panels and Sungrow inverter. All brackets coated stainless steel, aluminium rails. All other bits stainless steel. All panels suitably labelled and I did get to test one.
    Install crew were extremely professional taking great care with every detail. Happy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails solar1.jpg   solar2.jpg   solar3.jpg  

Community Moderator

If you’re happy we’re all happy.

Wish I had known this, my meters will spin backwards if I turn it on, I would have delayed ordering the horrible smart meter.

Unless the photo's are deceptive there was room to space it further from the roof vent . Going to cause shading issues on that panel from what I can see in pic.

Quote Originally Posted by doovalacky View Post
    Unless the photo's are deceptive there was room to space it further from the roof vent . Going to cause shading issues on that panel from what I can see in pic.
    No, not at all. I was up on the roof on previous days chalking in the problem shadow areas. They took great care to stay well outside. It is a WNW location.
    edit: Trees block the morning sun, at this time of year it is fine but maybe some morning sun may hit the panel, have to wait until summer to see.

I think it was mentioned to me today that optimisers won't work with the setup I have, don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by doovalacky View Post
    Doova, you were right, I was wrong.
    Between 7am and 8am, average output reduced from approx 700W to 200W. The shadow caused it, it's just that I didn't expect anything useful at that time of morning and didn't consider it. Direct sunshine wouldn't hit the panels this time of year, that time of morning and now think summer might need to be monitored.
    For today I managed to get 18.8kWh. Sunny all day, the trees shadowed the panels from 4pm, so not bad. Also the sky had a haze in the afternoon, perhaps a distant back-burn.

1K Club Member

It's only a tile roof, wouldn't it be better to have them all in a single grid and move the ventilator well away from the panels?
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey66 View Post
    It's only a tile roof, wouldn't it be better to have them all in a single grid and move the ventilator well away from the panels?
    The impact of the vent is minimal at the moment. Unfortunately, it is the only productive roof area due to shading, and that vent serves a purpose and has no other place it can be located. If it is a problem I will think about a low profile type of vent.
    No one can see the panels unless they fly over it so layout is of no concern.

7K Club Member

... that vent serves a purpose ...
    That's a whole other subject! (assuming it's just a whirlybird, that is...)

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    That's a whole other subject! (assuming it's just a whirlybird, that is...)

As well as the roof space, it directly vents a range hood.

Noticed a drop in output on a still day, reckon it's the eucalypt haze.

7K Club Member

Yeah, certainly the atmosphere, especially in months when the sun is lower, affects production. I read somewhere that at its lowest in the sky, to reach us the sun's rays pass through 22 times the atmospheric distance versus when it's at its highest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2