Hire the best Cladding Experts

Best way to cover hole in external wall

Apprentice (new member)

Default Best way to cover hole in external wall

Hi there,

In the kitchen the internal cladding had been removed by an asbestos removal team, and now I've found a gap between the external weatherboards and the beam that's just under the outside eave.
    img-20220615-wa0021.jpg
    So my question is what's the best way or material to patch this up before installing the new insulation and walls?

It seems there may have been previously a sheet of galvanized iron covering this as on the other wall it has a piece of it covering that area, though I don't know if this is an old practice is still a current way of doing it?

Thanks,
    Andrew.

A photo from the other side may help.

3K Club Member

As UB has suggested, a pic from the other side would be good but there are sooooo many things you could cover it with
    e.g strip of pine or weatherboard from a hardware of a size to suit nailed or screwed in place, fitted from outside of course so trestles/planks/scaffold may be needed.

Apprentice (new member)

I've taken some photos from outside.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220615_191846.jpg   20220615_191900.jpg  

I think the issue isn't what to use to fill the gap, but more like how to get to the gap as it really needs to be gotton to from the outside. You may need to see if you can get a sheet of the Laserlight off to get to it. I'd use a slat of timber in there, or a sheetmetal flashing.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I think the issue isn't what to use to fill the gap, but more like how to get to the gap as it really needs to be gotton to from the outside. You may need to see if you can get a sheet of the Laserlight off to get to it. I'd use a slat of timber in there, or a sheetmetal flashing.
    You can work on the roof if you cover it with ply or corro iron to spread the load of you lying on the laserlight
    Or remove 2 sheets of laser so you can (maybe) work from under the frame.

Apprentice (new member)

I'll have to take a better look at it during the daytime, most likely this weekend. It seems the whole house is wrapped with a thin strip of hardwood and this section had fallen off some time ago... I wouldn't be surprised to find it in the gutter still!
    I think the roofing over the front is the old corrugated tin style one so I'll also check if it can support someone lying over it, otherwise It will be a real pain to reach, being directly under the eave, and pulling off the roof to get to it also sounds more of a pain to do.

Thanks for the help,
    Andrew.

3K Club Member

Bob thinks it is laserlite (plastic) but I cannot say.
    If it is corro iron it will support you laying on it and get rid of the birds nest same time.

1K Club Member

I can't see any Laserlite in the photos ????? It looks like normal galvanised or zincalume corry to me.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey66 View Post
    I can't see any Laserlite in the photos ????? It looks like normal galvanised or zincalume corry to me.
    Yeah you're right. On second look it is just galv or zincalume. The first photo it looked a bit transparent. Anyway, like I said, access will still require a sheet or two being removed I reckon.