Hire the best Cladding Experts

Cladding Newbie

Default Cladding Newbie

Now i dont know much about this kinda thing so really i just basically need some information here if possible.

My house is super old, the weatherboard on the walls is splitting and very rotten in some spots (did the try poke a hole in it test). The walls are not all weatherboard though it only starts from half way down, i think the top is a concrete sheeting.

Now i HATEEEEE weatherboard, i cant begin to express my utter hatred for it, i think it looks cheap and we live in such a nice neighborhood and mine stands out like a tin shack among mansions. Is it possible for me to to remove the weatherboard from the house and continue the conrete sheeting then cement render over it?

Also i dont think i have any insulation in the walls so if thats the case should i just remove ALL of the wall and put in the insulation and then put the existing sheeting back on?

Another question is the windowframes are rotten, they are stuffed. Will i be able to just replace the dead wood on them with new stuff? as id like to keep the windows.

ALSO! (sigh, sorry) Whats the cheapest way to go about this, im on a disability pension and we all know how good gillard government is to pensioners.

THANKS!

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MissZombeh View Post
    The walls are not all weatherboard though it only starts from half way down, i think the top is a concrete sheeting.
    G'day, I suspect this concreting will be asbestos sheet so you need to be cautious here.

Have a look at the Stickies here, ASBESTOS IN RENOVATIONS

If you could post some pics that will help others help you.
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Wow really?

Alright ill check it out, does that mean i should have it all removed then instead of actually reusing it?

I did take some pictures, but i went to make an album for myself it said i have no permission to. Is there another way to do it?

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

You should be able to post some pics in this thread.
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Okay ill try, i havent actually taken anything off the wall yet as im unsure what im actually gonna do with it. Ill put up pictures of the damage though, its very old.

I dont know if i have done it right lol but there should be some pictures. The boards have dropped and there is gaps. Also some are so badly rotten that when i lent on one it gave way, and no im not a fatty! haha.
    Please pardon the long grass i am without a lawn mower We get a lot of mice and insects in the house and i think fixing the outside is a way to start fixing that issue. Honestly im open to ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn1906.jpg   dscn1907.jpg   dscn1912.jpg   dscn1905.jpg  

3K Club Member

If you are interested in cement sheet products and rendering rather than weatherboard, take a look at James Hardie website. They have several products that may interest you and put out a very comprehensive PDF on using their products. You will find there is a lot more to it than you would have thought.

Most likely you would find it easier to remove all of the external cladding and follow their installation instructions with new materials.

If you are interested in trying magnesium oxide board instead (which I can't say I've heard a lot about from those who have used it), there is a lot of good hype on it as a better product than cement sheet and better for rendering too. From what I can gather (after a bit of searching), There are some inferior products in the market and there are a couple of suppliers that are endorsed by BCA.

Have a read of this thread http://www.renovateforum.com/f224/ma...adding-106193/

If it was me, I reckon I'd be trying out this product or similar but only if endorsed. Methods of installation would be very similar to cement sheet.

Are you really sure you hate weatherboards? I personally, as do many, think they are great. Timber miners cottages in our area are highly sought after.

They are way easy to install compared to cement sheet and pretty cheap too. I'm currently re-weatherboarding my house on most of the walls, front, side and rear. Three 6m walls. Tiny house. All up the cost of materials is around 1800 dollars which includes eaves, fascia, window screens, architraves, weatherboards, misc materials and undercoat and paint.

Also, cement sheet is not very forgiving when the frame is not close to perfect. You will likely have to do a crazy amount of preparation, packing and planing and putting studs in where cement sheet joins are required. You'll get the idea after reading the PDF.

Weatherboards are very forgiving in this case and you will find a lot less preparation is needed unless you really want perfection of course.

Cheers, Su.