Cladding Options and cost comparison with Brick Veneer

Novice

Default Cladding Options and cost comparison with Brick Veneer

Planning to do a ground floor extension to existing house in sydney
    I have been reading about different cladding options

hardietex (Blue board) - will need rendering (acrylic) - FC based
    scyon cladding - can be painted over - FC based
    weathertex - timber based

I am concerned about performance and longevity of the cladding on ground floor - can cladding get easily chipped and broken ? don't want kids to bump in with their bicycle and make a hole or smash through with a cricket ball
    issues with water ingress from the joints or if storm water pools against the cladding in heavy rain

how much approx will be cost difference going with a 80sqm build between between brick veneer and cladding (cladding will also need render or painting )

any recommendations between blueboard with render and scyon?

good questions! I want to know also, so am bumping this thread

1K Club Member

Dunno about the other two but I was given some leftover Weathertex by a neighbour in exchange for some liquid currency. A bump from a bike with a kid on board will see the kid coming off second best.

Chase the joiners on ebay..I found them to be far too expensive from the W/T supplier
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

Hey David - thanks for the Weathertex strength recommendation, I understand it's a really sustainable product. You were lucky to find it from your neighbour
    For my budget Im wondering about using blueboard (ie fibrecement sheets, painted) and what the difference is between standard blueboard and these James Hardie linea skyon products? Blueboard is a lot cheaper, and from what I can tell, made from exactly the same material. Is it just aesthetics?

1K Club Member

I'm not any kind of expert in this...

Anyone else here who is more qualified, please jump in...

Yep, the neighbour bought enough for his cottage from a couple of Masters sites when they were selling up, I think he said $10 per board? When he took what he needed there were 15 left, and he asked what they were going to do with them, and offered to take them off their hands free.
    Hence enough to do the bottom half of the shed that has been converted to the wife's studio.. free-ish
    img_20200922_163849.jpg

Blueboard I understand will require flushing and render? Weathertex just needs a paint, so up one day, paint the next...and not hard to do one handed.

You could consider FC weatherboards...so no jointing and render...like Linea but ouch... the cost.

There are other WB options, Cemintel do some and Hardies have some other boards as well...
    I'd calculate the area you need, add 10% and send a quote request to all you can find including delivery to site...it's a bit quiet out there and you may stumble on someone looking for a sale...obv it needs to fit your look first and then the cost...
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

your extension/studio looks great, nice and shady with lots of windows
    I've just googled blueboard and apparently it comes pre-primed, a render-type paint can be applied with a woolly roller to get a desired effect.
    More concerned about budget over aesthetics ATM, you aced it with the Weathertex!

Apprentice (new member)

Hey debunk,

Just doing some research for myself as I'm in the process of extending our home.

The existing home is Brick Veneer and in order to keep the cost down I will be adding cladding to the extension.

I was pretty much decided on HardieTex + Render, but it seems cracking is quite common unless you find the Einstein of rendering to do the job! plus looking over the numbers a sheet is roughly $55 (3sqm) and rendering is $30-50 sqm.

So at best $115 to $135, it sure adds up! So now I'm looking at Hardie Easy Lap Panel.