Hire the best Cladding Experts

Exterior pine cladding - repaint

eek

Default Exterior pine cladding - repaint

Hi all, long time no speak.

Purchased this house about 3 years ago. It was a lift and build completed about 5 years ago. When I first purchased it all the exterior paint work was immaculate. As of a few months ago I've been noticing some of the boards have fine cracks and the paint is looking pretty oxidized and old overall. It was painted in a water based exterior Taubmans Endure, and I believe the boards are pine as they're very soft. I was thinking the boards had a bit of moisture in them when installed and they've now dried out, or have had a few wet/dry seasons and exhibiting the cracks now. My other house which is a 60yo hardwood weatherboard house doesn't have any fine cracks like this and I've only repainted it once in 10+ years of ownership and still looks better than this.

My plan is to respray the entire outside after a wash and scrub, however how should I deal with the minor cracks? Do they need to be treated with something? Some kind of special primer? Or filled with a 2k bog and sanded? Seems like a lot of work if the filler will just fall out later due to seasonal movement

Photos linked below. The cracks look black in the photos, but it doesn't seem that bad in person:

20211124-175045.jpg 20211124-175051.jpg 20211124-175117.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211124-175045.jpg  

I suspect that the boards were not primed or relied on the manufacturers "pre-primed" coating and it looks like the top coat was very thin.

The "pre-primed" coating from manufacturers is not a solid base for top coat if you want a long life result.
    I use an oil based undercoat applied by roller and two coats of sprayed acrylic top coat. Cant comment on Taubmans as I stick with Dulux, I have tried other brands and not been impressed, YMMV.

Hairline cracks should not be a problem with the above system.

eek

Thanks for the response. Looking at some of the spare boards left from the previous owners, the boards look to be completely raw. Would have needed to be primed by the painter/builder...maybe it wasn't done...?
    Yes I agree the top coat looks very thin. So you'd suggest something like an oil based Zisslner primer, then top coat? I noted a lot of the acrylic exterior paints say primer not required - would be required in this case? Would the 3 coats of paint fill in those hairline cracks sufficiently?

I have a Wagner type airless sprayer which pumps directly from the paint tin with various nozzles and extensions I used to paint my other house. Was an absolute pleasure to use and put paint on fast!

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    I suspect that the boards were not primed or relied on the manufacturers "pre-primed" coating and it looks like the top coat was very thin.

The "pre-primed" coating from manufacturers is not a solid base for top coat if you want a long life result.
    I use an oil based undercoat applied by roller and two coats of sprayed acrylic top coat. Cant comment on Taubmans as I stick with Dulux, I have tried other brands and not been impressed, YMMV.

Hairline cracks should not be a problem with the above system.

If the boards are raw I would say the previous painter went with “primer not required”.
    Primer undercoat is essential for a quality long life paint job, particularly exterior timber.

After a good clean down and patch of holes and nails I would recommend Dulux oil based one step applied by brush / roller then two coats of Dulux weather shield applied by spray. Other will have their preferences for application and brand.

If you do use other brands I would use the same brand undercoat to match the top coat.