Hire the best Cladding Experts

External Colourbond Cladding

Apprentice (new member)

Default External Colourbond Cladding

Hi there.

Building a small external room, free-standing timber framed.

Trying to interpret the AS1684. According to this, it seems that I need to fit the 12mm construction ply external to give added structural integrity. Is this still necessary if am intending on clad with colourbond sheeting (trimclad profile)?

Do I need to add the sarking underneath the colourbond as well?

Thanks.

4K Club Member

Your metal cladding has no bracing capacity within the scope of the standard, so you have to follow the design matrix within the standard to design your timber structure to resist the loads imposed apon it.
    inter

7K Club Member

There are other bracing options, eg metal strapping, depending on wall size and locations of openings. You could also brace the inside with brace board and line it at the same time, depending on the aesthetic you are after. 12mm seems excessive, but it's been a while since I've needed to look...

4K Club Member

I have to add that it depends on the size of the building and where you are. In West Australia does this proposal come under exempt size?

12mm is way oversized for wall bracing purposes, 4mm hardwood ply at F17 is well within the parametres unless you are in a cyclone area and also remember that the standard states that 7000mm of nominal bracing equals one standard type A bracing unit.
    If above exempt size are there any internal walls? If there are internal walls these can be braced top to bottom with ply or OSB and are part of the total bracing area. In our build here we used floor to ceiling OSB bracing in one room on all walls, I like the look; The Boss hates; it but you can sheet plaster over the top for the preferred aesthetic
    Also despite not being considered part of the structural bracing I would consider it very much a part of the nominal bracing and thus making a contribution to the overall.
    Are you using wall wrap and battening out and then adding the Colorbond?
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Apprentice (new member)

Cool thanks - good to know.

Apprentice (new member)

Am using metal strapping to brace, but mainly to keep intact whilst I move the frames. The floor is too small to do in place, so need to do elsewhere and move into position.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    I have to add that it depends on the size of the building and where you are. In West Australia does this proposal come under exempt size?

12mm is way oversized for wall bracing purposes, 4mm hardwood ply at F17 is well within the parametres unless you are in a cyclone area and also remember that the standard states that 7000mm of nominal bracing equals one standard type A bracing unit.
    If above exempt size are there any internal walls? If there are internal walls these can be braced top to bottom with ply or OSB and are part of the total bracing area. In our build here we used floor to ceiling OSB bracing in one room on all walls, I like the look; The Boss hates; it but you can sheet plaster over the top for the preferred aesthetic
    Also despite not being considered part of the structural bracing I would consider it very much a part of the nominal bracing and thus making a contribution to the overall.
    Are you using wall wrap and battening out and then adding the Colorbond?
    Awesome info thanks, but not sure of a couple of things...
    Exempt size?
    No internal walls. Overall size is 3200x2200
    OSB (forgive my ignorance)?
    Wall wrap - hadn't discounted it, just don't know what sort/type and where to source (again, (forgive my ignorance).
    Not battening, had intended tek screw the colourbond straight on, into the studs (through plywood). Is this okay or not?

I do have very high winds where I am; only been here 3 months and already experienced winds of 40-50km with gusts up to 70. Not even storm just easterly winds.

4K Club Member

Battening out will give an additional airspace; in conjunction with reflective wall wrap this gives you a lot of extra R-In summer value. We did it here in Geelong and the extra summer insulation we get was well worth spending the money.
    Each state has different sizes for exempt buildings, here in Vic it's only 10 square metres, I believe that in NSW it is 20 square metres.
    If exempt it simply means no building permit or planning approval needed depending on the size of your block; to the best of my knowledge anyway.
    OSB is Oriented Strand Board, a cheaper /more cost effective building product used mainly for bracing purposes but also sometimes used for its dramatic appearance when stained and varnished
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriented_strand_board
    Your little out building would be exempt here in Victoria and could be built non-compliant; although I wouldn't, the standards are there for a reason; but it means you could explore alternative framing and bracing methods.
    Are you in a cyclone area?
    Anyway I'd be making sure the building was well secured to the ground, although I don't consider 70klick winds high, we get those all the time where we are, being relatively close to the coast and not much building between us and the water

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    Battening out will give an additional airspace; in conjunction with reflective wall wrap this gives you a lot of extra R-In summer value. We did it here in Geelong and the extra summer insulation we get was well worth spending the money.
    Each state has different sizes for exempt buildings, here in Vic it's only 10 square metres, I believe that in NSW it is 20 square metres.
    If exempt it simply means no building permit or planning approval needed depending on the size of your block; to the best of my knowledge anyway.
    OSB is Oriented Strand Board, a cheaper /more cost effective building product used mainly for bracing purposes but also sometimes used for its dramatic appearance when stained and varnished
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriented_strand_board
    Your little out building would be exempt here in Victoria and could be built non-compliant; although I wouldn't, the standards are there for a reason; but it means you could explore alternative framing and bracing methods.
    Are you in a cyclone area?
    Anyway I'd be making sure the building was well secured to the ground, although I don't consider 70klick winds high, we get those all the time where we are, being relatively close to the coast and not much building between us and the water
    Thanks heaps.

What sort (size) of batten would you suggest?
    Will definitely look into the OSB for the external bracing. Not in a cyclone area (N2) but still feel the winds are quite strong. Had a chicken coop pegged to the ground once which was picked up and moved about 30m.
    Am in a rural area (20 acres), but haven't really looked in depth as to exemption. Kinda thinking the rural zoning gives me a bit more free reign.
    Believe building well secured to ground: have 6 stumps in 450/450/450 concrete each. Each pair of stumps are cross-braced with 30mm duragal angle.

I was in a quandary about how to fix the frames to each other and to the floor, but recently saw youtube video from Oz Chippie, and all he did was nail the corners together, then nail the frames to slab. I suspect I will still need to tie the frames down to the subfloor however; planning on welding up custom tiedowns for each corner (threaded rod welded to plain rod, then duragal paint whole thing).

4K Club Member

We used steel ceiling battens because they were cheap.
    Screwed at every stud [ ~480 spacing] over the ply and RFL'wall wrap.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/roll-for...atten_p1095854
    If we were building new I would add an extra layer of RFL on a big house but using Foilboard [ obviously that would be far too much on a small building] two screws at each stud thru the flanges
    EDIT
    If that was in Victoria, on 20 acres I'd say don't ask and don't tell