Hire the best Cladding Experts

Installation instructions for colorbond corro cladding on walls

Novice

Default Installation instructions for colorbond corro cladding on walls

I'd just like to read up on a bit of detail before making too many mistakes. I'm looking at colorbond for cladding the outside of a couple of new rooms I'm putting on to the house (owner builder). It should look smart and practical and I hope should be relatively straightforward to install.

Ads and brochures everywhere, but there doesn't seem to be any good "how to do it" information on installing it on walls, although there is plenty for roofing.

For example - battens, vapour barriers and insulation, sealing out drafts, external and internal corners, how to finish up to door and window frames (and what depth for reveals), vermin proofing, best ways of cutting sheets....can't find much helpful about these things.

I'll be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction thanks!

Gado

3K Club Member

Sorry mate, but that's why Plumbers used to do a 5 year apprenticeship.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    Sorry mate, but that's why Plumbers used to do a 5 year apprenticeship.
    Do you have to be a plumber to install metal wall cladding?
    Regards,
    BOB

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by BOB - Yes That BOB View Post
    Do you have to be a plumber to install metal wall cladding?
    No, but in the 60's when I did my apprenticeship it was all Plumbers work whereas nowdays any one can do the sort of work Gado is talking about, but, to try and write a thesis on how to install wall cladding would take me forever considering I am a 2 finger typer.

Old Chippy 6K
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

don't cut sheets with a grinder

Novice

Thank you Bloss, the bluescope manual is just what I needed and couldn't find. The wall flashing detail in it is very helpful.

The lysaght video is great for roofing, I learnt a lot from it before doing a few different roofing jobs. Did the gutters too - maybe only 4.5 years to get my plumbers ticket now.

The bluescope manual recommends a power saw with a metal cutting blade for cutting sheets. I have previously used a small angle grinder with a thin cutting disc (as taught to me by a licensed plumber...)- works well but acknowledge the hot bits of scurf can do damage. Lucky I'm in a dry inland climate.

Thanks again guys for your generous sharing of experience!

Cheers, Gado

I dont see what plumbers have to do with it. No plumber touches this sort of job up here ( even though their licence covers it) and I wouldn't want a plumber anywhere near it if it were my house

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gado View Post
    Thank you Bloss, the bluescope manual is just what I needed and couldn't find. The wall flashing detail in it is very helpful.

The lysaght video is great for roofing, I learnt a lot from it before doing a few different roofing jobs. Did the gutters too - maybe only 4.5 years to get my plumbers ticket now.

The bluescope manual recommends a power saw with a metal cutting blade for cutting sheets. I have previously used a small angle grinder with a thin cutting disc (as taught to me by a licensed plumber...)- works well but acknowledge the hot bits of scurf can do damage. Lucky I'm in a dry inland climate.

Thanks again guys for your generous sharing of experience!

Cheers, Gado
    your plumber mate needs to be schooled on cutting of metal sheeting, cutting with grinding discs will void any warranty you have, it burns the ends & starts rusting.
    regards inter

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by intertd6 View Post
    your plumber mate needs to be schooled on cutting of metal sheeting, cutting with grinding discs will void any warranty you have, it burns the ends & starts rusting.
    regards inter

- and spatter also damages the paint finishes . . . the manufacturers have good reasons to recommend cutting using certain tools and not others
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Novice

Getting good looking corners can be a problem. Go to www.shedblog.com and look for "Corro Corners". They are a mix and match set that provide a vermin/ember proof corner seal ... and they look good!

looking for the Bluescope link, that one no longer works.
    and I get this for the Downloads
    Home > Tools & Resources > Downloads

Search Results

Your search for Walling & Cladding returned 0 results.

any ideas?

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by toooldforthis View Post
    looking for the Bluescope link, that one no longer works.
    and I get this for the Downloads
    Home > Tools & Resources > Downloads

Search Results

Your search for Walling & Cladding returned 0 results.

any ideas?
    There are two links next to each other. Click on the second one (Lysaght) it will take you to a roofing and walling manual amongst others.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by olmeri View Post
    Getting good looking corners can be a problem. Go to www.shedblog.com and look for "Corro Corners". They are a mix and match set that provide a vermin/ember proof corner seal ... and they look good!
    Redirects to shedblog.co.uk A search for "corro corners" returns nothing.

<Edit> Ahh I see . . . should have been shedblog.com.au !
    Charles - Real men wear aprons