Hire the best Cladding Experts

Insulating Weatherboard House // Melbourne

Novice

Default Insulating Weatherboard House // Melbourne

Hi all. I’ll be starting very soon a project that I have been planning for ages...which is removing the weather boards to install insulation + moist barrier.

During my planning phase, I noticed the power meter will be a problem as it is on my way -> question: Do I need to get an sparky to move it away temporarily?? There is some sort o tamper seal on the unit so I don’t want to mess this thing up.

Some photos from the house facade, showing the initial condition.
    I also be replacing or making something different at the gable (the shingles are not very at the moment.)

====

Senior Stinkologist Sir Stinkalot's Avatar

That sticker on it stating "Hazardous Voltage" is there for a reason. Speak with an electrician. Be sure to post some progress shots of your progress - sounds interesting.
    Licence to drill!

2K Club Member

Nice house.

Get advice from a sparkie. You could always do that section from inside by removing the plaster. Get the quote for moving it temporarily and decide then...

Novice

Wow.
    I’ve got a quote for moving the meter to a different location.
    $1,8k.
    I’m shocked lol.

====

2K Club Member

Yep! Thought that might happen!

Do get more than one quote - though quite a bit of the cost might be the truck appointment to turn off the electricity.

Probably none of that quote is for a truck appointment.
    Most of the time they charge it back to your electricity bill.
    If you want that meter moved you need a new meter panel and enclosure for it to go in, it will all have to be inspected, depending on the switchboard that may have to be upgraded before it is reconnected aswell.
    ----

Old Chippy 6K

If you can get access to the area behind the meter by removing a wall lining or from the adjacent wall when those boards come off then that's 1800 saved. You'll need to take extra care as it is possible that the rear of that meter might have some exposed live conductors - it shouldn't have of course, but shyte happens.

BTW - have you thought of getting the access from the inside rather than the outside? A little messier, but can be done room by room and those boards look to be in good condition - they won't be when they come off. so re-using will be problematic.

What are you trying to achieve? Is the roof already super insulated (>5.0 and air tight with openings and downlight etc proper;y dealt with? Moisture barrier? For what purpose? The moisture barrier at present will be that well painted weatherboard. See my post on condensation. Even on the coast at Torquay the issues remain the same.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

NRB

Maybe as that area is not so large what difference would it make you you just left it as is?

4K Club Member

Left field alternative, depending on how long the internal wall is. Add thick foil backed foam, batten out 12mm and then plaster or panel over the top
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Bloss View Post
    If you can get access to the area behind the meter by removing a wall lining or from the adjacent wall when those boards come off then that's 1800 saved. You'll need to take extra care as it is possible that the rear of that meter might have some exposed live conductors - it shouldn't have of course, but shyte happens.

BTW - have you thought of getting the access from the inside rather than the outside? A little messier, but can be done room by room and those boards look to be in good condition - they won't be when they come off. so re-using will be problematic.

What are you trying to achieve? Is the roof already super insulated (>5.0 and air tight with openings and downlight etc proper;y dealt with? Moisture barrier? For what purpose? The moisture barrier at present will be that well painted weatherboard. See my post on condensation. Even on the coast at Torquay the issues remain the same.
    Hi Bloss, thanks for your reply.

I want to improve the wall insulation, the whole house is not insulated - I mean the walls. Ceiling has insulation (not super lol). And I’ve already replaced all halogens downlights with LED removing any gap.

I also installed weather strips and foam in any door/window gap.

I’m not considering doing this work from inside. The house has been renovated from inside completely.

I will try (carefully) accessing that small wall section from the main front wall, if no access I’ll leave that bit without insulation.

This house is not in Torquay but in Melbourne.

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciated.

====