Recladding this old house

Apprentice (new member)

Default Recladding this old house

Hi, we own a 1960 home on brick piers. the timber cladding is original and really showing itís age; looking to replace it with weathertex and put insulation in the walls at the same time. Running through what I need to do but having a bit of a head scratch about how to approach the front porch. Obviously the house was built / clad and then the cement slab for the porch was put in place. How do I now reclad the 2 walls the the slab buts up against? Sorry if this is something really straight forward, I do tend to overthink things. I have attached a couple of photos if that helps explain what I am talking about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails abb50bb9-a1db-4721-b586-e4ce3489c2ed.jpg   ed9edbfd-a903-40fc-ba53-f4fca5556c7a.jpg   bc9b1c0b-0902-4214-8f64-af4e58ca6cb6.jpg  

Just cut and scribe the new cladding around the porch / steps. A finishing trim may be required for finishing effect.

Or, if you have thoughts of replacing the concrete now is a good time for it.

Unfortunately those boards provide weather protection to the house frame below concrete level and scribing with trim may not offer the same protection. If you were to tile the porch, flashing with tiler's angle would give a better result or as suggested remove the concrete.

The weatherboard looks good though parts need a good effort to strip back to bare board. Replacing with new cladding can ruin the aesthetic appeal of a '60's house. Insulation can be added cheaper by replacing internal gyprock.

If you can remove the weatherboard deep down to it's full extent, then slipping in the new cladding may well be good enough even though not fixed, this would be my strategy. I made a chisel of sorts by grinding a piece of thick flatbar and it would knock the nails out easily. You will likely find the nails to be of a light gauge.

Apprentice (new member)

Hi, thanks for the replies.

wasn’t planning on replacing the slab; once we had finished cladding we were going to extend the porch out to be in line with the front of the house, unsure how we were going to finish it but dislike the painted cement.

The cladding is ok in that section (north facing) as there was a bullnose roof over the porch that we have removed when we had the cement tile roof replaced; it will go back up when the porch is extended. At other parts of the house the layers of paint have started lifting and exposing the bare timber which has become quite brittle. We had considered sanding/scraping attempting to repair and repainting; but with the effort involved and the fact we don’t particularly like the profile, the decision was made to reclad with something we like the look of and think would sit well with the aesthetic of the house which is why we are going with the weathertex selflok millwood.
    don’t want to rip out the internal gyprock as I’d hate to damage any of the original cornice (different profile in every room of the house).

had a bit of a thought, could I fix noggins to the bottom wall plate to give me something to fix against where I cannot get low enough?

If you are going to extend that slab area just rip it out and do it all in one hit, the cost difference may not be that bad. Does that area get wet with rain.

Golden Member

Wouldn't this be creating a significant entry point for whiteants? I'd be inclined to cut the slab away from the cladding, although I have no idea how. Any demo saw job means cutting a slot maybe 50mm away from the cladding ..... and then maybe not deep enough.

Rather than extending the porch I would be inclined to either remove the old one and replace to the size you want in concrete or build a deck instead.

Apprentice (new member)

Thinking about it a bit more, removing the old slab might be a better option in the long run as I wouldn’t have to worry about joining a new Deck / porch section to the old one. I’d be 100% happy that the cladding install was done properly and the house was sealed up.

now just to convince the Mrs that this is the way forward.

anyone know a good concrete demo guy/ girl in Western Sydney to remove a 6.5x2.2m slab lol