Hire the best Cladding Experts

Wall plastic wraps

Default Wall plastic wraps

I'm in the process of building in a carport to turn into workshop. So I have sourced some secondhand windows, and got some weather boards.

Driving around the neighbourhood (Brisbane), I see new houses with some sort of plastic wraps (over the framing) before they put the weatherboards or outer cladding.

What is that for? I had a look at my place and I have none of that. Just thinking that it could be new regulations? Makes it cooler (ie insulation?)

Confused. Any advice is appreciated. Also, are they expensive and where can I find them. I assume they are special products and not just some sort of plastic...

Semi-permeable membrane that also has R value. Helps your house breathe whilst also providing improved draught sealing and insulation. Great stuff! Works best if the cladding is battened out 20mm though
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

Not sure what you meant by battened out 20mm. I've got 90x45 battens...

2K Club Member

Wrap serves two purposes in new builds - makes it weather tight so internal work can go ahead. Also prevents air ingress/egress in the long term so the house is more energy efficient.

Be careful which kind you use. These days breathable wrap is preferred as the tighter we seal houses the more condensation goes through the walls and it needs to escape. There are lots of issues with sick building syndrome in new houses especially in areas with strong daily temperature swings (went to an interesting HIA lecture about this last year).

For a carport possibly not such as issue though.

There are different levels of breathable wrap and they really vary in price. Some types of wrap are reflective too (but not the top end, new, breathable stuff like Proctor wrap). Bunnings sells basic wrap breather wrap (Reflective Foil Laminate) but you can order the higher end stuff lke Proctor wrap from various places.

You will likely need to batten on top of the wrap to create an air gap between the wrap and the weather boards - may depend on type of weatherboard (i.e. wood or cement sheet)

Thanks Joynz, I'm going to use weatherboards as I got some spare around. Its a carport but will be used as a workshop so having it insulated and nice temperature will be good.

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by baileyboy View Post
    Not sure what you meant by battened out 20mm. I've got 90x45 battens...
    This is quite big for battens. Usually the wall frame (e.g studs) would be 90 x 45, then a layer of wrap, then narrow battens, then cladding.

That's what I meant. My frame is 90x45.

I have been turning my umr garage into some living space and went for a breathable wrap. My slab has a membrane under it and we will also manage our ventilation. Just wondering if you are closing in a carport does it have damp proof membrane under it? Wrapping the workshop air tight and leaving it closed for days, weeks it could end up pretty damp in there. I would definitely have some passive ventilation in there. Like joynz was saying, the aim is to control airflow, not end it altogether.

3K Club Member

I'd suggest an ERV/HRV, but this is for a garage. Overkill.

Those who want to ignore the science are increasingly alone. They are on their own shrinking island.

Thanks guys, got the info I wanted. Saltypete, yes I think so. Ie according to the old plans I found.

Breathable wrap is essential for the walls, it allows condensation to escape, but won't allow water to enter, this is essential for longevity of framing timbers.
    You can buy it from Bunnings, or any timber / building goods supplier,make sure to get the wall version, not the roof version.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Thanks.