Hire the best Roofing Expert

Colorbond roof colour

Apprentice (new member)

Default Colorbond roof colour

Hi everyone, my partner and I have this ugly old brick home. After storm damage the roof is getting completely replaced with a colorbond roof. Only thing is we have zero idea what colour would go with these bricks. House has black gutters and down pipes a large wooden deck and black post, zincalume and stained wood fence.
    So looking for ideas on what colour colorbond roof to go with?

Thankyou

Golden Member

....maybe a little more info and photo's would assist with some suggestions from others?

Perhaps a good start is with the end in mind...as in what you want and will likely do to the exterior over time?
    Maybe the answer is you don't really want to do anything...just replace the roof?

A few questions to consider:

1. Whats your possible future plans for the house? Do you plan to paint or render over the brick - just the front of the house, or the lot or leave as it is?
    2. Are the current gutters, downpipes colorbond or painted? Would you be painting or replacing these as part of the roof replacement?
    3. Gardens?
    4. Front fence staying the same, repaint, remove or replace?
    5. Are there any covenant restrictions on the type of roof colors your able to have?...likely to have been in the contract of sale or council
    6. Is there a color scheme you like:

• Federation
    • Victorian
    • Contemporary

Maybe one of these can help with the ugly brick without spending a large amount on render?

Spend a bit of time browsing the internet, go for a drive in the suburb and see what others have done that might appeal, take some photo's

Bottom line is you can do anything provided you have and want to spend the money - trades and/or DIY to save a bit

100% Manor Red.
    But most people I know think I am colour blind.

You do realise colour preferences are subjective ? If you are not designing for your own satisfaction then maybe engage a colour consultant to design the property from start to finish to suit potential buyers.

7K Club Member

We certainly need photos, but with all black on the house, at face value I'd suggest Monument or Night Sky

1K Club Member

And don't forget to have the roof installed with Anticon or similar insulation blanket directly under the sheets.
    I am not responsible for anything that Moondog says!

Apprentice (new member)

house.jpg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	128494

Hi, Sorry didn't realise the photo hadn't attatched and haven't been able to get back on here again until now.

It is a cheaper house in the suburbs we brought as our first home to allow us to save more money towards out next place so don't want to spend too much on it honestly.

Will be purchasing our next home later this year/early next year when the right one comes along.

Gutters, downpipes etc will be remaining black.

There are no covenant restrictions.

Obviously colour preferences are subjective, just after other peoples opinions.

Yes anticon is being placed under.

Thankyou

2K Club Member

I would spend $150 for a Dulux colour consultant to visit. I did this on my property and it was really helpful.

Woodland Grey might work with the brown brick.

Is the ceiling flat or raked?

Community Moderator

Any shade of white.

I have a shed in Surfmist, while it’s great for the walls the light colour on the roof shows a lot of dirt.
    To contrast the dark gutters and features I would look at Basalt or Wallaby.

But if you are on here asking for colour suggestions I would advise getting a colour consultant in to look at the entire property and surrounds.

7K Club Member

The rest of the neighbourhood might give some clues?

(I don't think there will be much white, though )

4K Club Member

The higher the albedo of the roof the cooler that house might be, so a pale roof would be better in that regard
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Golden Member

Ironstone

As Moondog55 said. Lighter roofs are cooler. So go for the lightest colour that will match the rest of the house.

As an example, I cleaned my roof late last year - it is white colorbond but I have about 8 sheets on part of the house where the surface has deteriorated so those sheets look just like galvanised sheets. Anyway, at one point I had to sit on the roof and the white colorbond was cool to the touch but the galvanised ones were almost too hot to touch - and it wasn't even a warm day. I was shocked at the temperature difference. I imagine darker colours would be much worse than the galvanised ones.

7K Club Member

Most new estates/developments have covenants banning white/near-white roofs, due to the glare they cause to neighbours.

No covenant here, fair enough, just saying

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Most new estates/developments have covenants banning white/near-white roofs, due to the glare they cause to neighbours.
    Gee that is strange I suppose just the crappy black instead.

We've just purchased a 'worst house in the best street' and we're up for major 'reno's', roof included. We're opting for colorbond Basalt. This is to compliment the workshop that is going to be built there.
    Alcohol and explosives, the key to a lasting relationship.