Hire the best Roofing Expert

colorbond roofin'

Default colorbond roofin'

I know i need foil under the colorbond over the living areas. Does it need to be the one with the glass wool stuck to it? I am planning on the r3.5 to go on the ceiling anyway. My verandah will be lined with v groove pine boards between the rafters and the battens. does it also need foil?
    sorry for the ramble.

Old Chippy 6K

In Muswellbrook I'd be using the blanket and R4 or better still R5 in the ceiling too. Cold winters and hot summers and bugger all cost difference to up the insulation.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

yeah ops you are right r5 is the go... do i need blanket under the verandahs?
    sorry for the ramble.

Old Chippy 6K

Under verandah just foil - or the bubble foil - main issue is condensation although there will be a little heat help too.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

RWB
    Apprentice (new member)

Foil backed blanket wool is ok but the fibreglass wool compacts over a period of time and looses its efficiency.
    Better to use the foil backed wonder wool, slightly dearer but far superior and does not break down over time.

If you are going to line the underside of the verandah, use foil (sarking) if not being lined, don't use it because it becomes very brittle and will start to flake the silver coating and leave you with the ugly reinforced paper. It doesn't paint up any good either as well as being very easily damaged and torn.

Regards
    Ray

fan q
    sorry for the ramble.

manofaus,

Don't forget the colour you choose can affect the temperature especially in summer. See this BlueScope PDF or an independent study here Reflectivity.

Old Chippy 6K

although how you insulate will have a much bigger impact.

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Foil backed blanket wool is ok but the fibreglass wool compacts over a period of time and looses its efficiency.
    Better to use the foil backed wonder wool, slightly dearer but far superior and does not break down over time.

If you are going to line the underside of the verandah, use foil (sarking) if not being lined, don't use it because it becomes very brittle and will start to flake the silver coating and leave you with the ugly reinforced paper. It doesn't paint up any good either as well as being very easily damaged and torn.

Regards
    Ray

I haven't seen sarking break down for more than 10 years - older products did - and mainly if exposed to weather and UV not undercover. Fibreglass blankets (or insulation batts) do not compress to any great extent over time under their own weight in normal use - they retain their R-value over 50 years and more to within 5%. Of course if they are compressed by some mechanical means then they will lose performance.

ok.
    So I need sarking under all colorbond sheeting.
    Should I just use the same sarking inside the roof as I will be adding the r4 to the ceiling anyway? or is it necessary to have the wool covered foil blanked under colorbond roofing in all living areas?
    sorry for the ramble.

Old Chippy 6K

Foil sarking & batts do different jobs and work in different ways. So I would use the blanket under the colourbond in all areas AND R-4 or R-5 batts on the ceiling. Do walls if you can too - foil and batts.

excellent many thanks
    sorry for the ramble.