Hire the best Roofing Expert

Concealed Gutters - Remove or replace?

Default Concealed Gutters - Remove or replace?

I've got a 2 story house in a leafy suburb, built in the early 80s. It's got concealed gutters, most of which are rusted/rotted through in spots, or otherwise horribly bowed. I've had a reputable plumber quote about $8k to replace all of the gutters and the facsia (with a colorbond facsia). He estimates it will be over $30k to 'remove' the concealed gutters (and he doesn't recommend it). By remove, I mean cut the rafters back, install normal gutters, replace the eave linings etc. Most handyman type people I've spoken to recommend removing the concealed gutters. But is it worth the extra $25k+?

Can a decent new concealed gutter system last 20 years? Do they have the same issues as the older concealed gutters with water ingress under heavy rain? My understanding is that they are generally deeper now, and have overflows built in/added at install time, so the risk of water flowing into the house is small. What other negatives are there with concealed gutters?

Thanks for any advice.

If the gutters are made from copper (or stainless even) they should last a lifetime.
    A couple of drawback with internals are, you can't see them easy. Another is if they block they using flood within the building.

1K Club Member

Should last for years if colorbond is used. I do suggest 100mm overflows be inserted into front of gutter at every downpipe exit. If there are trees in vicinity, I would also insert them in any long runs.

Concealed gutters are definitely a pain though.
    Love it when DIYERS pin the blame on plumbers for their own shoddy work

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by smokyjoe View Post
    I've got a 2 story house in a leafy suburb, built in the early 80s. It's got concealed gutters, most of which are rusted/rotted through in spots, or otherwise horribly bowed. I've had a reputable plumber quote about $8k to replace all of the gutters and the facsia (with a colorbond facsia). He estimates it will be over $30k to 'remove' the concealed gutters (and he doesn't recommend it). By remove, I mean cut the rafters back, install normal gutters, replace the eave linings etc. Most handyman type people I've spoken to recommend removing the concealed gutters. But is it worth the extra $25k+?

(1)Can a decent new concealed gutter system last 20 years?
    (2)Do they have the same issues as the older concealed gutters with water ingress under heavy rain?
    (3) My understanding is that they are generally deeper now, and have overflows built in/added at install time, so the risk of water flowing into the house is small.
    (4)What other negatives are there with concealed gutters?

Thanks for any advice.
    The first paragraph, only you can answer whether you want to spend that much.
    Second part of the question
    1 Yes if done correctly i.e with decent fall and no, or very little ponding.
    2 Depends totally on whether the gutter and outlets are sized large enough to remove the water from the gutter quickly.
    3 No idea what the catchment area is or gutter and outlet sizing and number of outlets, also capacity of storm drainage and where it flows to.
    4 Hail along with leaves etc will block outlets very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    A couple of drawback with internals are, you can't see them easy. Another is if they block they using flood within the building.
    That's my biggest concern. We're surrounded by gum trees, so blockages are not unexpected. I would have thought that this could be mitigated with overflows though. We've currently got overflows in at the lowest points, but the gutters do not fall straight. So as soon as it rains, water comes pouring out of the overflows, as they are at the bottom of the dip.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Another is if they block they using flood within the building.
    Just had advice from a plumber that the old overflow outlets are no longer legal. He said it's a bit misunderstood in the industry, and plenty of people still install them, but they're not compliant. Reason is that a blockage could occur between overflow points, in which case it would flood into the house.

His company installs flashing on the house side, ensuring that it is higher than the front of the gutter.