Hire the best Roofing Expert

Concrete ridgecap over colorbond roof

Apprentice (new member)

Default Concrete ridgecap over colorbond roof

I have had a section of my roof replaced in Colorbond Kliplock as that section was only at 15 degrees and that area leaked anytime it rained. It was not an issue when the internal lining was asbestos sheeting but when I had that removed it was obvious I had to fix it. The solution was to replace that section in Kliplok but when the roofers finished the job they informed me that I would have to get someone else to fix the tile ridge capping as they only do metal roofing.

Here is a picture of what is left to do:
    ridge-capping-repairs-after-reroofing.jpg

I can readily bed the ridge caps with mortar and point them over the tiles but what should I use for bedding over the colorbond? Do I just use the same mortar as for the tiles or is there something else?

3K Club Member

Unbelievable they left it like that.

I did a few roofs like that years ago and always did the complete job although I do remember the bil getting me to do ALL the tiles AND metal flashing after he had a carpenter fit a metal roof same as your's,
    and the roof was corro which did not suit the pitch, but that's what you get when carpenters are allowed to install roofing that they have never been trained for.
    If you can do the finish yourself do so and just use mortar mix. Something like this. https://www.cementaustralia.com.au/p...bedding-mortar
    I must ask if there is a secret gutter in the very bottom of the pic against the lower fascia section, I hope so otherwise water will run off the barge cap and down inside..

Apprentice (new member)

I am not sure what you mean by a secret gutter. There is just the standard gutter below. Here are a couple more pictures of what is there.

gutter.jpg ridge-capping-repairs-after-reroofing2.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gutter.jpg  

3K Club Member

Thanks Bart.

Where Bart shows, you need a secret gutter under the tiles to stop water getting into the soffit where the tiles meet the new fascia/barge capping.

Apprentice (new member)

Thank you Cyclic and Bart. I will definitely check and install the secret gutter if one is not there.

What Cyclic is referring to is this https://inspectapedia.com/BestPracti...f_Flashing.php ...see second pic under the heading of "Flashing requirements on tile roofs".
    The underlay is an American standard due to their construction methods of laying ply on the roof prior to the actual roof. You have essentially got the "Counter Flashing" there, just need the channel flashing (Hidden gutter). I'd get that done prior to re-pointing the ridge caps.

You possibly could do a side apron flashing or step cover flashing with some "soft" flashing down over the top of the tile with something like this https://www.davmarindustries.com.au/...-zinc-flashing but you would need to have some additional flashing coming over the top of the soft flashing for the small tile near the ridge cap. ....but are just throwing out ideas here with this one. Never seen it done like this in the field.