Hire the best Roofing Expert

damp concrete roof tiles

Default damp concrete roof tiles

after the last week of rain ive noticed that the underside of the concrete roof tiles is damp
    the house is a 1960`s built concrete tile roof
    would this be somthing to be worried about or not
    we have been thinking about a roof reno but for $3000 ive got other things
    that i would rather do first
    or is this a sign that the roof reno should be at the top of the list

Novice

It is normal for the tiles to be damp after sustained rain, particularly at the bottom end.
    Mine are. If they are dripping, then you more than likely have a crack. If the case, silicone or no-more nails works ok for me.

See the attached if you want some reassurance. Spend your $3000 on something more worthy, like more tools for the workshop.

http://www.archicentre.com.au/RoofGutter08.pdf

Novice

In addition, if you are thinking about the repaint reno, DON'T.

Have a look at some of the posts further down the list here and you will see some of the pitfalls of the paint the roof renos.

Old Chippy 6K

Damp is normal - especially after rain or in tropical climes - but drips are not normal and indicate a crack or tile not properly overlapped. And roof renovations (painting) are a waste of many - unless you like paying for a paint job to look pretty and create a new maintenance task to be done every few years. Of course if tiles need re-pointing that's fine, but they don't need re-painting!

thanks that makes me feel a little better as they are only damp not dripping

as for the roof reno our roof area is around 100m2 ( well thats that the modern roofing told me)
    they quoted me $3000 to get it renovated or $12000 for a new roof not including gutters
    the cost difference made me lean more towards the reno as we arent sure if we are going to want to add an extra story in a couple of years in which we would then retile

as for walking on the tiles are there any tips on how not to break the tiles when walking on them as we dont have many spares and they arent a popular tile in the demo yards so they are hard to find

Old Chippy 6K

Always a bit of a problem with old tiles as they are brittle. Walk on the overlaps running across the roof - the battens run just underneath. Try not to step onto the middle below the lap or the edges on the lap as they can crack easily. Soft shoes to - not your big clunky steel caps. Lots of roofers swear by volleys, but any sneaker will do. Walk a little flat footed often helps - spreading the weight and never both feet on one tile - better at least a tile between.

As I said roofs are dangerous places especially if any moisture around. The rules about proper ladders use and safety harnesses etc are not there because some bureaucrat just though them up - many people get killed and injured form roof falls each year. If you are clambering around at least lift a tile up near the ridge or on the other side and tie your self off with a rope that is shorter than the distance to the gutter - not much to grab hold of on a tiled roof and as for the gutter . . .