Hire the best Roofing Expert

Is this the expected standard of roof replacement- insurance. Options to fix?

Default Is this the expected standard of roof replacement- insurance. Options to fix?

Due to finally getting rain I went up on roof to clean gutters. I was shocked when I saw the poor standard of workmanship of the replacement roof. The insurer got the quotes and selected a Sydney co to do the work.
    It was done about 12 months ago but I've been busy building a fence and renovating the inside of the house so havent had a chance to check out their work. Not good. And I've done my best to explain things without knowing all the proper terms for what you are seeing.

I wondered why water was flowing off the side of the roof and realised the flashing was sticking up so water was running along it and flowing off the end. My female brain decided to put a few rivets in to hold the flashing down, but it just kept popping up elsewhere so I ended up putting in a lot. Unfortunately now that the water is running off the flashing how it is supposed to it is leaking back behind the end of their shorter sheets. The flashing went over the roof much more previously. I don't know how to fix this other than completely replacing it.
    img_3468-1-.jpg
    And below this section..........
    img_3446.jpgimg_3448.jpg
    I had to use a small bamboo stick to clean the gutter along the bullnose.......it is sitting so low and too far forward to fit anything else in. This corner actually touches the bottom of the gutter so nothing gets past.img_3473.jpg
    img_3449.jpg
    img_3450.jpg

I removed the fascia yesterday as they'd split it and it was upside down. It is over 5 metres long but was only secured by 2 roofing screws.
    The 5m of Colorbond was only secured by 2 roofing screws as well. It seems getting cream screws was too hard for them......... I put the Colorbond back temporarily yesterday because rain was expected. Too make it now fit properly I am going to have to cut it around the new flashing at the end. And cutting Colorbond is my least favourite job.
    The ends of flashing has been replaced over the corner flashing instead of under as it used to be, not shown here.
    img_3454.jpg

Previously there was no gap along the bottom of the Colorbond wall.
    no-gap.jpg

I wondered why the flashing was no longer vertical along this wall, almost 45 degrees out in a couple of places and the soffit was hanging down. I'd noticed the horizontal part of the flashing was up in the air so any water would flow back towards the wall.

img_3443.jpg
    img_3463.jpg

If I return the old wall and flashing to where it used to be (vertical) the horizontal part won't cover their Colorbond. I thought I could turn it upside down and then buy more flashing to cover the wall.

I was also shocked by the scratches and several dents in the new roof just on the one area I looked at. Many screws weren't put in enough so I tightened them so at least the washer will work. But, there are screws that are on such an angle the washer protrudes on one side and doesn't touch the roof on the other. There are dollops of silicon on some.
    scratches.jpg

And I went up on the bullnose to bend down the old flashing on the top as it was still sticking up in the air too. It also didn't match the new corrugations.

A slippery job!!!

It’s not good on a number of fronts. I suggest downloading and reading the Colorbond manual http://www.lysaght.com/sites/default...ualJul2015.pdf

The general screw spacing in the roof is probably okay - they are usually done as 3-4-3 (and 2-2 along the edges) in non-cyclone areas. IIRC Treated pine is a no-no with colorbond. It sounds like the ends of the sheets in the skillion roof weren’t ‘turned up’. I suggest read the manual before doing anymore corrective work as you may find that you have to remove all your riveting to turn the ends of the sheet up.
    There is no middle ground between facts and fallacies - argumentum ad temperantiam

2K Club Member

Instead of doing stuff yourself, I really think you should call the installers and the insurance company.

The roof will have a warranty as will the installation if it is not performing correctly.

However, if you start to add rivets etc you are likely to cause problems rather than fix them and you will need to pay to fix them rather than have the installers take care of it.

Now I know why it only took them a day to remove and replace the entire roof.......and the bullnose was put up in a couple of hours the next morning. It wasn't until I looked at some of the many other roofs that have been replaced, including a neighbour's, that I realised how shoddy mine was. The neighbour's took almost a week for his main roof and garage roof to be replaced and then he got someone back to fix all the fasteners. That took another two days. After this rare rain he was up there himself, obviously trying to repair leaks.