Hire the best Roofing Expert

Exposing Rafters

Apprentice (new member)

Default Exposing Rafters

Hello,

In a year or two I'll be looking to change my concrete tile roof to a colourbond.

With the roof exposed, I thought, why not put down a layer of pine floorboards, and expose the rafters in the lounge. It's a smaller house, so the raised ceiling would give a sense of space. The inspiration is a local community hall where I practice choir.

If anyone else has done this I'd like to hear how it went. I'm assuming I would screw battens to the other side of the floorboards and proceed as before. The battens over the rest of the house would have to be raised to a floorboard thickness to keep them flush.

Thanks.

img_4143.jpgimg_4411.jpg

2K Club Member

What about insulation against heat and cold?

A living space has to be more comfortable than a community hall.

Also, a metal roof is a lot noisier than tiles during rain - even with a layer of anti con. Batts really help with this - especially if they are sound batts.

Will you be able to fit batts and still leave the required air gap under the reflective side of the anti con?

I built a couple of roofs with cathedral ceilings by nailing 12mm plywood to the rafters then 90x45 battens, insulating bats between the battens and colorbond screwed on top.
    Using floorboards would be time consuming expensive and heavy but would probably look better.
    The heat coming from the plywood is negligible and compared to the massive heat radiation from tiles, a big improvement.
    Noise from the rain? Sure you can tell when it is raining but not like in a shed with naked roofing sheets. It is a pleasant sound anyway.
    Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I built a couple of roofs with cathedral ceilings by nailing 12mm plywood to the rafters then 90x45 battens, insulating bats between the battens and colorbond screwed on top.
    Using floorboards would be time consuming expensive and heavy but would probably look better.
    The heat coming from the plywood is negligible and compared to the massive heat radiation from tiles, a big improvement.
    Noise from the rain? Sure you can tell when it is raining but not like in a shed with naked roofing sheets. It is a pleasant sound anyway.
    Thanks Marc. There wasn't any condensation issues with the anti-con/insulation sandwiched tightly between the colorbond and ply?