Hire the best Roofing Expert

Gutter attachment to fascia

Default Gutter attachment to fascia

I have metal gutters attached to a wooden fascia by internal / hidden clips.
    Looking inside the gutter, there are no visible screws or nails, so I am assuming that the clips are nailed into the top of the fascia board??
    If that sounds correct, then I assume I would need to unscrew all the corrugated iron roof sheets, and slide them back to get at the fixings?
    Cheers.

The type i have used in the past are nailed behind the gutter into the fascia before the gutter is fitted. The gutter is clipped onto the leading edge of the brackets and rolled up into position.
    there should be a small tab underneath the gutter where each clip is.

There are no tabs under this gutter that I can see droog. I had a really close look, and the gutter back is hard up against the board.
    What you are saying about clipping the front lip and rolling the back upwards looks like it would apply, because the back of the gutter is flush against the fascia board, and stops level with the top of the board.

An uploaded photo might help.

I thought about that, but it would just be a photo of a gutter.
    The roof tin protrudes over the gutter, and the front of the gutter is higher than the roof, so there is no way to get a shot of the inside area.

How about a shot from front on or below in line with the internal bracket/clip.

Yes, but a photo of the profile of the gutter might help a member tell you exactly how that type mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Yes, but a photo of the profile of the gutter might help a member tell you exactly how that type mounts.
    That's pretty much what I am implying, Uncle.

These are the type i have used.
    https://www.google.com.au/search?cli...nlG6GLYUg9NRM:

Lots of other types if you google gutter clips but have never seen them here in Victoria.

Quote Originally Posted by RodEye View Post
    That's pretty much what I am implying, Uncle.
    Yip, you were posting it as I was replying too

I'll get some pics and post tomorrow,....hopefully it will help solve the mystery ;-)

2K Club Member

I have gutters with internal ‘concealed brackets’. Nothing visible from below.

gutter-clip-front.jpggutter-clip-back.jpggutter-profile.jpggutter-underside.jpg

Pic 1. Gutter clip at front. Pic 2. Gutter clip at rear where it goes over the fascia. Pic 3. Profile. Pic 4. Underside, no tabs.

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by ptrott View Post

Pic 1. Gutter clip at front. Pic 2. Gutter clip at rear where it goes over the fascia. Pic 3. Profile. Pic 4. Underside, no tabs.
    Yep - concealed brackets. Google it!

I have googled it, there are many different kinds.
    What I want to know is how to detach my gutter from it. I haven't been able to find that out, which is why I posted here ;-)

Have you tried pushing/unclipping the inside bracket down from the leading bead of the gutter. From your pics it's not that clear to me what's going on.

The front top lip won't disengage from the clip without bending the clip or the lip.
    The front went on first it seems, so last off.

Never seen them before, Stratco have some products state based and appear to have concealed clips for ogee profile, called Internal Str-8-line strap.
    https://www.google.com.au/search?cli...nlG6GLYUg9NRM:

Not certain it is the same as yours and no idea how they hold the gutter in place.

2K Club Member

I have googled it, there are many different kinds.
    What I want to know is how to detach my gutter from it. I haven't been able to find that out, which is why I posted here ;-)
    I was thinking that an installation guide (as on manufactuer’s websites) would help you to figure out how to uninstall them...

Golden Member

I would try forcing the back of the gutter downwards. Get a block of wood and place it in the gutter hard up against the back of the gutter and give it a few sharp taps.

Going by the photos it appears the profile is colonial or similar. If you can unpin and lift a portion of the roof as close to a gutter clip as possible, you should be able to confirm the clip is fixed either to the top or the face of the fascia. As for the removal of gutter, I would try what gpk suggested or a pinch bar against the fascia at rear base of the gutter below the clip.

2K Club Member

Nothing like mine.
    No straps in mine, in fact nothing at all in the way of fixings, tabs, screws, nails etc.

2K Club Member

It’s raining here today - but I have a gutter that’s similar to yours so I’ll get the ladder out later for a closer look.

(The link in my previous post was just an example...)

3K Club Member

Never used the stuff myself, but in pic 2, I believe if you unclip the top clip out of the bead on the back of the gutter, what appears to be a secondary clip behind the main clip,(use long or right angled blade screw driver maybe) the back should come down first, then roll and lift the gutter off the front clip.

Failing that, gpkennedys idea is next.

Quote Originally Posted by gpkennedy View Post
    I would try forcing the back of the gutter downwards. Get a block of wood and place it in the gutter hard up against the back of the gutter and give it a few sharp taps.
    I tried, but because the roof sheets come so far over the gutter, I can't get anywhere near 90 deg, in fact, more like 40 deg, so I am driving it back against the fascia rather than down.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    Never used the stuff myself, but in pic 2, I believe if you unclip the top clip out of the bead on the back of the gutter, what appears to be a secondary clip behind the main clip,(use long or right angled blade screw driver maybe) the back should come down first, then roll and lift the gutter off the front clip.
    There is no bead on the back of the gutter Cyclic. The back is flat, and sits flush against the fascia.
    There is also no secondary clip, it is a single piece, the front clips under the gutters front lip, and the back of the clip runs up the facia board, bends back over the top of the board, where I assume it is nailed, under the roof sheet.

This is not the right one, but the back part of it looks the same. Of course I don't know if it has the hook bit at the back of the fascia board.

screen-shot-2018-12-02-11.21.05-am.png
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2018-12-02-11.25.22-am.png  
    Last edited by ptrott; 2nd Dec 2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Similar gutter profile attached

There is no bead on the back of the gutter Cyclic. The back is flat, and sits flush against the fascia.
    There is also no secondary clip, it is a single piece, the front clips under the gutters front lip, and the back of the clip runs up the facia board, bends back over the top of the board, where I assume it is nailed, under the roof sheet.

This is not the right one, but the back part of it looks the same. Of course I don't know if it has the hook bit at the back of the fascia board.

To say there is no bead on the back of the gutter is not entirely true. What Cyclic is referring to is the groove in the back of the gutter, which I think you will find is called a zinger. It appears from the 2nd photo that the gutter is held in place by a tongued piece in the back of the clip, which in turn drops into the groove. If you can get a small pinch bar (nail puller) inside the gutter and pull forward on the clip, just below the groove and at the same time apply a little downwards pressure at the rear base the gutter, it might release from the clip. This is all only theory on my behalf. Something is better than nothing.

3K Club Member

I have metal gutters attached to a wooden fascia by internal / hidden clips.
    Looking inside the gutter, there are no visible screws or nails, so I am assuming that the clips are nailed into the top of the fascia board??
    If that sounds correct, then I assume I would need to unscrew all the corrugated iron roof sheets, and slide them back to get at the fixings?
    Cheers.
    Do you wish to save the gutter and clips ?
    If so, then unscrewing the roof at the fascia is the only way in order to lift the roof in that area without removing all the roof, otherwise,
    use a pinch bar to lever the gutter off the fascia and lever the clips at the same time.
    Once the gutter is removed, the clips should be able to be belted up, even if you have to unscrew part of the roof in the area of the clip.

Your gutter does not have the hook at the top, it has what I call a stiffening bead/groove easily seen in pic 2.

This was a pinch bar until the introduction of the internet and the americanisation of the world
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/spear-ja...g-bar_p5610119

Jon
    Golden Member

Default Gutter attachment to fascia

This was a pinch bar until the introduction of the internet and the americanisation of the world
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/spear-ja...g-bar_p5610119
    To commence the mandatory drift off topic, I grew up calling them a jemmy bar.

Do you wish to save the gutter and clips ?
    That was the plan for the gutter anyway, the clips don't really matter, cheap enough.
    I am beginning to think that the best plan might be to undo all the screws on each roof sheet that lines up with the clips, and slide the sheets back under the steeper section up higher on the roof.
    Bit of a p.i.t.a. but that is how it goes ;-)

............. It appears from the 2nd photo that the gutter is held in place by a tongued piece in the back of the clip, which in turn drops into the groove. If you can get a small pinch bar (nail puller) inside the gutter and pull forward on the clip, just below the groove and at the same time apply a little downwards pressure at the rear base the gutter, it might release from the clip. This is all only theory on my behalf. Something is better than nothing.
    You might be on to something there, I'll give it a go as soon as the gutter cools down enough to touch. Warm here today ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    To commence the mandatory drift off topic, I grew up calling them a jemmy bar.
    And to me they were Crow Bars.
    W.A. thing maybe

Undo all the screws on one roof sheet, slide it up. Establish how clip is fixed. Then you should be able formulate a plan of attack. For what it's worth the short pinch bar/nail puller I mentioned is more like a 10 inch pry bar. As for jemmy bar, use to call it jimmy bar. If it be in the clutches of my missus, call it a Jenny bar.

And to me they were Crow Bars.
    W.A. thing maybe
    To me a Crow Bar is about 6 foot long. Blade on one end, knob on the other for knob using it. Apparently this is a fencing bar.
    So yeah maybe W.A. thing.

3K Club Member

To me a Crow Bar is about 6 foot long. Blade on one end, knob on the other for knob using it. Apparently this is a fencing bar.
    So yeah maybe W.A. thing.
    Yep, I agree, and the knob is to stop your hand slipping off
    and hitting you in the forehead.

Crow bar here.