Hire the best Roofing Expert

Ideas to stop leaks in my shed !

Default Ideas to stop leaks in my shed !

Hiya folks,

Looking for some advice on what you would do in my situation to stop water leaking in my shed!

A few years back I built a little shed behind my garage.
    At the time, I decided to run the butt up the roof of my shed to the gutter of my garage. My garage is only 2.1m tall so there's very little height to work with and I wanted to make use of the garage brickwork to attach my shelves onto for strength plus and minimise costs for extra panels & framework.

However this wasn't the best of ideas.

Being that I'm apart of a block of units, My garage structure is shared with the neighbour. We have a common roof and gutter. The downpipe is on his side of the garage.
    We also have a monsterous 40 metre gumtree and anouther plant next to it from the neighbour behind us that overshadows where my shed and the garage is and deposits an endless amount of gumleaves, bark, sticks etc.
    My neighbour is terrible at maintaining his property. He almost never leaves home but in 4 years I don't think I've ever seen him clean his gutters once - they're bowing from the weight of what's in them.

As a result of his negligence our shared gutter is always full to the brim with sediment. I have to clean his side otherwise it causes me issues. I also know the stormwater pipe the downpipe flows into is broken due to said tree behind us .My downpipe from my house and the path in the front of the shed is connected to that stormwater and I've had to pay a plumber twice to clear the tree root blockage as he refuses to have it repaired (I'm willing to do the work but he doesn't want his concreted backyard cut up)..

Due to my bad design and his lack of maintenance, the gutter that my shed roof butts up to often fills with water, and when it does water seeps between the gutter and the facia board and flows nicely into my shed. It's thankfully not a huge amount of water but it still is a problem and the mdf shelfs are starting to show signs of water damage. I also dont like that things inside there if I'm not careful can get wet.

I have for now siliconed the top of the gutter on the garage side as much as I can get my fingers in there. There's an absolute stackload of silicone there. I also recently siliconed a little plastic angle bracket to help seal up that area where the water can seap in between the facia and the gutter.

Outside of that I know I've got to implement more extreme measures.

Some of the options I've considered

1) Remove garage gutter where my shed butts up against it and allow garage waterflow onto my shed roof. I do have a gutter setup for the shed roof and it's connected to a drainage channel that goes into a pit. However the pit is quite small (1' x 1') and there's already one downpipe going into it plus some drainage channels. I'm also not sure my cheap bunnings shed gutter can take the water flow from a 2m wide and 6m long garage roof plus shed roof (albiet small).

2) Install a overflow setup of sorts by inserting a pipe in the garage gutter at a certain height and divert the water from the garage gutter into the shed gutter when the garage one gets too full and will start to leak into my shed

3a) Build a bulkhead around the gutter to seal off the shed from the gutter and allow any overflow to drip onto some corri underneath and flow away from the shed (hope this makes sense)
    3b) in addition to the above maybe install a 65mm downpipe in the bulkhead space and drain into the draiange channel in front of the shed. My fear here is overloading the drainage channel & pit leading to flooding in heavy rains.
    4) Install a 65mm downpipe and have it diverted from inside the shed to the outside drainage channels. I don't like the idea of a downpipe being inside my shed in case it leaks and also because it'll look odd and take up space

5) Cut my shed short and leave a void between the shed and the garage. The downside to this is reduced strength of the shed, and more importantly I'll loose shed space (it's only 1.8m deep and 2.1m wide) when my shed is packed to the brim, garage is full of stuff and so is house. (Safe to say I'm at capacity in my little 2bd unit).

6) Get a few blokes and move the shed over entirely. It's a full timber stud shed with corri sheeting and heavy duty shelves installed inside. More likely I'll have to dismantle it.

I've attached some pictures to hopefully help understand my predicament.

ANY IDEAS ON WHAT I SHOULD DO / CHANGE? How do I fix/shop the leaks?

Shed & shed drainage area. Not much space!

Roof of shed butting up to garage roof. (please excuse the odd coloured sheet, it's a recycled sheet i've fitted temporarily until I work out what i'm doing with this join!)

Where shed butts up to gutter and leaks. Regrets, regrets, regrets!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails d0591960-b36c-4017-99e6-6f38b2eaec20.jpg   fee96298-de26-4033-8fb6-c47e1187f549.jpg   8092abcf-72ec-4c43-b214-13f0dde10c38.jpg   e84def2c-058d-419c-88fe-89b03dff6615.jpg   94ed90c7-1ab8-439d-b4c6-5431415eca33.jpg  

6904adcb-0b43-412f-beea-4381fc6ba247.jpg   321.jpg   456.jpg   bdc2cfa6-895b-4a6f-a02c-4362704c6c24.jpg  

Ok so no one has any idea then lol

I should put a plant in the shed so it gets watered regularly

Only really one option, disassemble and reinstate with flashings in the required locations to divert any overflow from the gutter to outside the shed.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBolt View Post

Most people won't read that much at once

Best you come back after lack of replies with a funny quip that encourages people to have another go.

Oh, wait...

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBolt View Post

You know what you did wrong in your own words

"Where shed butts up to gutter and leaks. Regrets, regrets, regrets!! "

Warning to future DIYers, never never enclose/build around a fascia gutter that has the potential to overflow into what you are building.

Even worse when said fascia gutter is a shared gutter

Options are either lower the offending section of shed roof under the existing gutter or eaves,

or move the shed or cut down the shed size.

lower the roof height of the shed so the roof sits underneath the house gutter and butts up against the brick wall

ridge cap / flash the other two sides of the shed which don't have gutter

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Only really one option, disassemble and reinstate with flashings in the required locations to divert any overflow from the gutter to outside the shed.
    Yeah fair enough. Didn't think there was much else

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Most people won't read that much at once

Best you come back after lack of replies with a funny quip that encourages people to have another go.

Oh, wait...
    I see what you did there!!

Lockdown has made me go a bit loco and i'm writing too much to make up for lack of social interaction! How can you tell i'm extroverted?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    You know what you did wrong in your own words

"Where shed butts up to gutter and leaks. Regrets, regrets, regrets!! "

Warning to future DIYers, never never enclose/build around a fascia gutter that has the potential to overflow into what you are building.

Even worse when said fascia gutter is a shared gutter

Options are either lower the offending section of shed roof under the existing gutter or eaves,

or move the shed or cut down the shed size.
    Fair point. There's no magic bullet here.

Was trying to maximise the tiny space I have there as I have a lot of stuff and not a lot of space!

I assumed that any overflow would go onto the shed roof, not slip in between the gap between the gutter and the siding that the gutter is mounted too. Very rarely seen a gutter overflow so didn't cosnider it to be a problem. However my neighbours maintenance negligence is not helping my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneAsylum View Post
    lower the roof height of the shed so the roof sits underneath the house gutter and butts up against the brick wall

ridge cap / flash the other two sides of the shed which don't have gutter
    Is it worth removing that section of the gutter and allowing the garage roof water to flow onto the shed roof?

The garage roof is 6m long so I'm worried that the shed guttering system can't take the water.

It's current 2.1m from the ground to the lower part of the roof joists. Any lower and I may as well make it a crawl space.

Looks like I'll need to try and make it a standalone shed.

7K Club Member

Your photo of the wall framing shows a standard steel shed next door. No good for you?

The gutter is overflowing at the back? You could try cutting some slots at the front of the gutter that are lower than the back. That should see any excess water flow out of the front before is gets high enough to go over the back. Probably not much use in a really heavy downpour.

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Your photo of the wall framing shows a standard steel shed next door. No good for you?
    The neighbours property is around half a foot lower than mine. I built a slab that's about as high as the plinth on the fence, where his property is lower than the plinth.

I always thought his property was the same height as we share a garage roof (divided in the middle by some ugly chicken wire fence thing), but our shared garage floor slopes downward. I suspect that our garages were once carports.

Doesn't sound like much but when you're dealing with 2.1m of roof height, it does make a difference.

I've sealed up the gap between the gutter and the siding it's attached too with a stackload of silicone and a piece of flat plastic for now.

I think i'm going to have to rebuild the shed and likely install a pitched roof instead and make the whole shed much higher. Which is going to be a pain and a big project.
    I was never happy with the timber I used, as I bought a stack of what was meant to be mgp10 70x35 off gumtree, and turned out to be basically merch. It's incredibly weak and splits from a simple nail going into it.

The colourbond sheets were an bargainbuy at $60 with enough material entire shed but it was predrilled (removed off a carport) and pretty stupidly too with uneven spacings between the screw holes.

I was planning to sell up and move to a bigger place soon, but with current market predictions, considering I maybe sit tight for a bit so I probably need to fix up the shed to be more useful.

The biggest cost to rebuild would be the panelling. Those corri-sheeting are damn expensive and weatherboards/FC not much less either.

Quote Originally Posted by RankAmateur View Post
    The gutter is overflowing at the back? You could try cutting some slots at the front of the gutter that are lower than the back. That should see any excess water flow out of the front before is gets high enough to go over the back. Probably not much use in a really heavy downpour.
    I was thinking of drilling some holes along the gutter to help with overflow, or even install a small 40mm pipe toward the top of the gutter to drain out overflow. Luckily it seems to be only leaking in heavy downpours or if there's been multiple days of rain.
    It's not like it's gushing out, but it's dripping out enough to do damage to the mdf shelves inside and some of my things.

The gutter is overflowing at the back? You could try cutting some slots at the front of the gutter that are lower than the back.
    You can buy the gutters with the slots already in the front still does not fix the problem, have a look at any that get leaves and dirt they still overflow the back.
    Old gutters were made with the back higher than the front, never overflowed. But then people didnt like the look of the edge of the sheeting exposed and in view, manufacturers started making it with a lower back so it looks nice.

Bite the bullet, rebuild a section so there is something for any overflow to be diverted away you dont have to lower the entire roof. Otherwise next storm your going to be saying "I wish I had ........"

You can buy the gutters with the slots already in the front still does not fix the problem, have a look at any that get leaves and dirt they still overflow the back.
    Old gutters were made with the back higher than the front, never overflowed. But then people didnt like the look of the edge of the sheeting exposed and in view, manufacturers started making it with a lower back so it looks nice..."

I get that. I have gutters with slots. They do work to a degree.

Gutters with lower backs are not an issue if on a new build or replacing old as standards now require the gutter to be spaced off of the wall. The problem with lower backs is when they are installed flush up to the fascia and water can run down the inside of the wall.

Old gutters were made with the back higher than the front, never overflowed. But then people didnt like the look of the edge of the sheeting exposed and in view, manufacturers started making it with a lower back so it looks nice.

Bite the bullet, rebuild a section so there is something for any overflow to be diverted away you dont have to lower the entire roof. Otherwise next storm your going to be saying "I wish I had ........"
    The leaks definitely do tend to appear when the gutter gets full of leaves and debris. It doesn't take long thanks to a massive tree that overshadows the area.
    And with the shared gutter and the downpipe on my neighbours side who does bugger all maintenance, it leaks more often than I'd like it too.

I might plan come spring to redesign and build a pitch roof instead.

I'm considering knocking through the back of my garage and making the area an extension of my garage.

Gutter guard?

Gutters with lower backs are not an issue if on a new build or replacing old as standards now require the gutter to be spaced off of the wall. The problem with lower backs is when they are installed flush up to the fascia and water can run down the inside of the wall.
    For the OP's scenario having it installed flush up to the fascia or spaced off of the wall will make absolutely no difference. Where the back of the gutter is located it is open to the shed.