Hire the best Roofing Expert

Kit garage, roof insulation blanket, Do I need to do anything special with the ends.

Default Kit garage, roof insulation blanket, Do I need to do anything special with the ends.

Hi,

I'm erecting a kit garage, and opted for an insulation blanket for the roof (foil and insul together.

Where the insulation blanket finishes, when it meets the wall, just above the gutter.

How is this end finished so the insulation is no exposed to the outside where water could get in.

Thanks in advacne

7K Club Member

Nothing special I think. Just needs to finish over the gutter but without risk of soaking in water so it doesn't wick up under the roofing.

2K Club Member

At the gutters, you need to fold it up and under the roof so there is no chance of capillary action from water.

The anticon installation guide (Bradford) talks about this.
    Bradford specifically says not to allow the anticon to drape into the gutter but to finish in line with the fascia.

http://www.comfortsmart.com.au/~/med...ion-Guide.ashx See 3.5 and 4.6:

7K Club Member

Link is broken for me

Link is also broken for myself. Could you post doc if its ok.

I was thinking of folding the end of the foil/sarking layer back on its self so the bat is not as exposed to water.

Found an installer who recommends not to fold back as this will inhibit the blankets ability to drain if moisture gets in from leaks or condensation.

SO just as joynz said foil just over the lip of the facia, then cut back insulation a bit.

2K Club Member

1st point - blanket should have an edge that doesn't have blanket attached - usually 100mm wide or so, and you should be able to get this to lap over the fascia which is then hidden by the gutter.

2. A gutter apron isn't a bad idea, then you can terminate the blanket edge half way down the gutter apron with some insulation tape to the apron - I think this is the method that's required in bushfire zones to protect the roof space from embers

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy2 View Post
    1st point - blanket should have an edge that doesn't have blanket attached - usually 100mm wide or so, and you should be able to get this to lap over the fascia which is then hidden by the gutter.
    My installer laid the blanket in the direction of the sheets, therefore cutting the blanket at the facia/gutter and no edge without the bulk fill. I believed the edge with no bulk was for overlap so you don't double up on the bulk

2K Club Member

You can remove some of the fibreglass at the end of the run of anticon to expose the foil and fold that up.

The Bradford site had a diagram showing this - but with their rebranding it seems to have disappeared.

Alternatively, just cut it off in line with the fascia ensuring it can't droop into the gutter. Bradford gave both options in that link that is no longer working - but I prefer the idea of folding it up and over so the fibre is really protected from water ingress.

I thought that the idea was to allow for any condensation to drain out, rather than keep the fibre protected from water ingress, if its folded up any water will be trapped?

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by CraigandKate View Post
    I thought that the idea was to allow for any condensation to drain out, rather than keep the fibre protected from water ingress, if its folded up any water will be trapped?
    I thought the idea of anticon is to prevent condensation on the underside of the roof through contact by 'warming up' (in effect) the metal so moisture doesn't condense on the underside.

Old Chippy 6K

This info is all in the forum library . . . The latest guide is here: http://icanz.org.au/wp-content/uploa...ember-2013.pdf
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bloss View Post
    This info is all in the forum library . . . The latest guide is here: http://icanz.org.au/wp-content/uploa...ember-2013.pdf
    I may not be searching for the right words, but I can't find any reference to anticon, blanket, etc installed directly under a metal roof

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    I may not be searching for the right words, but I can't find any reference to anticon, blanket, etc installed directly under a metal roof
    That guide gives general principles & instructions. This Anticon (and same as for other brands) brochure which has descriptions of how it works and graphical representations of correct installation (noting that the fibre stays under the roof line while the foil extends over the gutter) http://bradfordinsulation.com.au/~/m...-Brochure.ashx

Actually the graphics for correct installation are in Part 1 ICANZ – Insulation Handbook with all the thermal information.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Shortcut..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails insulation.png  

7K Club Member

The front page of the Bradford PDF rightly shows the blanket laid in the direction of the sheets/fall of roof and shows the foil-only edge for overlapping. Show me an installer who routinely removes the bulk portion from the foil along the facia, and then one who also never compromises (e.g. cuts) the foil while doing so.