Hire the best Roofing Expert

Leaks where tile roof capping ends on colorbond roof

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    26

    Default Leaks where tile roof capping ends on colorbond roof

    Hi All,
    My house was built in the 50 - 60's and it was extended like 3 times. The original house had tile roof and all the other 3 extensions have tin or colorbond roofs. The colorbond sheets was replaced on one of the roof and it is leaking/dripping when its pouring with rain at the corners where the tile roof capping drops on the colorbond roof. I am not sure if I have explained the setup well but I have added some photos for clarity.

    whatsapp-image-2021-01-10-12.54.48-pm-4-.jpg

    whatsapp-image-2021-01-10-12.54.49-pm.jpg

    whatsapp-image-2021-01-10-12.54.48-pm-2-.jpg

    There are bit and pieces of flashing tape that I have put on just to see if water was leaking from these spot but it made no difference. My guess is that its leaking between the pointing compound and the fascia. What would be the best way to prevent this? is there a type of flashing that I can use of how if this usually done?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Seasoned DIY droog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,429

    Default

    Impossible to tell from the photos supplied but that is a complex area that would need custom flashing fitted.
    The flashing needs to extent up under the tile a reasonable distance for it to be effective, it looks like it might be ok where the tiles meet and is simply an angle change but I suspect the problem is at the point where the iron roof extends out higher that the tile roof.

    Unless you feel competent to take on lifting the tiles and investigating the flashing, then ordering custom flashing to be bent and fitting it up then I would start looking for a really good roof plumber.

  3. #3
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Impossible to tell from the photos supplied but that is a complex area that would need custom flashing fitted.
    The flashing needs to extent up under the tile a reasonable distance for it to be effective, it looks like it might be ok where the tiles meet and is simply an angle change but I suspect the problem is at the point where the iron roof extends out higher that the tile roof.

    Unless you feel competent to take on lifting the tiles and investigating the flashing, then ordering custom flashing to be bent and fitting it up then I would start looking for a really good roof plumber.
    Hi Mate,
    You are correct, it is leaking where the iron roof extends out higher than the tile roof. I did lift the tiles where the tiles meet on an angle change, its a large flashing and its not leaking. However, it is leaking where the the flashing ends before the iron roof extends out higher than the tile roof.
    I did not know custom flashing can be ordered.. any suggestion where I can get the custom flashing maade up?


    thanks

  4. #4
    Seasoned DIY droog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,429

    Default

    Any sheet metal business will bend them to suit, the problem is that someone needs to design them to suit the intended purpose.
    If you can work out the flashing you need then sketch out what you need with dimensions and angles, take it to a local sheet metal worker and discuss what is required.
    The end result will be straight lengths of sheet metal with bends along the length, the installer will still be responsible for cutting in any angles and making it fit the individual installation.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Are you sure it's not backwashing into the eve from the gutters full of crud?

    I agree with what Droog has said, but the long term fix will be ripping off the tiles and fixing the roof line properly.

  6. #6
    3K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    3,620

    Default

    In reality it is an easy repair

    The roof arrangement has more then one problem.
    For a start the flashing has not been scribed into the custom orb roofing, but of course it appears that does not get done in NSW.
    If the roof sheets have not been weathered (turned up at the top end of the sheet) then that could be another problem
    It also most likely needs a secret gutter down the small section of tiled roof (top right of pic 3) or an overflashing, cannot tell in the pic, and the ridge tiles need to be lifted in that area as well to reveal what problems are under there
    If you can find someone willing to look at it good luck
    It's not impossible but someone with experience who thinks outside the square is needed and these people are almost non existent in Au today.

    If you are going to have a go yourself best bet is buy a tarp to cover the area and some rope and bricks, lift the first 2 ridge tiles and the roof tiles around them, then give us a heap of pics of that area
    Also lift the tiles down the roof where the solar panels are and do pics of that area as well.
    And as already mentioned, clean out the gutters and the downpipe.

    Edit...While mention of specially made flashings have been made, you can also buy small rolls of light alloy flashing but of course you need to know where to install it.
    Do not use lead on custom orb roofing.

  7. #7
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doovalacky View Post
    Are you sure it's not backwashing into the eve from the gutters full of crud?

    I agree with what Droog has said, but the long term fix will be ripping off the tiles and fixing the roof line properly.
    That is right, I definitely want it fixed properly, no shortcut. Happy to spend the time and the $$ to have it done right. I noticed lots of tradies tend to take shorcuts, no long term fix. Temporary fix and then you have to call them again in a few years to fix the same problem again.

  8. #8
    Novice
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    In reality it is an easy repair

    The roof arrangement has more then one problem.
    For a start the flashing has not been scribed into the custom orb roofing, but of course it appears that does not get done in NSW.
    If the roof sheets have not been weathered (turned up at the top end of the sheet) then that could be another problem
    It also most likely needs a secret gutter down the small section of tiled roof (top right of pic 3) or an overflashing, cannot tell in the pic, and the ridge tiles need to be lifted in that area as well to reveal what problems are under there
    If you can find someone willing to look at it good luck
    It's not impossible but someone with experience who thinks outside the square is needed and these people are almost non existent in Au today.

    If you are going to have a go yourself best bet is buy a tarp to cover the area and some rope and bricks, lift the first 2 ridge tiles and the roof tiles around them, then give us a heap of pics of that area
    Also lift the tiles down the roof where the solar panels are and do pics of that area as well.
    And as already mentioned, clean out the gutters and the downpipe.

    Edit...While mention of specially made flashings have been made, you can also buy small rolls of light alloy flashing but of course you need to know where to install it.
    Do not use lead on custom orb roofing.
    Hi mate,

    I was fixing another section of the house with iron roof and surprisingly I couldn't source any flashing with the right profile to do the scribing properly. I am not sure if the flashing is usually customised for this. I ended using flashing tape and so far after 3 years, I had no leak issue. see photo below:

    whatsapp-image-2021-01-11-9.59.17-pm.jpg

    The gutter is definitely clean and not overflowing. I am more leaning towards the overflashing but whats a secret gutter arrangement?

  9. #9
    3K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    3,620

    Default

    The flashing in pics 2 and 3 has the turn down ready to scribe which is done with snips or shears
    depending on your skill levels.

Similar Threads

  1. Replacing cement tile roof for colorbond
    By Brian7886 in forum Roofing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd May 2013, 07:41 PM
  2. Changing from tile roof to colorbond
    By barney118 in forum Structural Renovation
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 26th Jun 2012, 06:59 PM
  3. Clay tile roof with many small leaks
    By rusel in forum Roofing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15th Feb 2011, 08:11 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20th Jan 2011, 12:47 AM
  5. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 5th Mar 2010, 11:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •