Hire the best Roofing Expert

Looking for help with my gutters

Apprentice (new member)

Question Looking for help with my gutters

Hi!

I have a little problem, and I might need help from you.
    A few days ago, my roof started leaking! It came out of nowhere, and at first I had no idea where it was coming from. So, I started researching what could cause a roof to leak like this, and I came to the conclusion, that it's because of the gutters. We have a few quite big trees near the house, and I guess some of the fallen leafs are stuck inside the gutter. And now every time it rains, water pours out of them, and makes everything around the house wet and messy, including my exterior walls, which I painted not long ago!

So, my question is, do you know someone who could fix that problem for me? I could try myself, but I think that the problem is so big, that I can actually make it worse, because I have no idea what to do. So, do you know someone or some company which can clean gutters? It would be also good if they can trim trees, because ours are quite overgrown, and I guess this is where the problem comes from. I would be really thankful for any recommendations. Oh, and I live in Sydney, Australia, so it would be good for the person or company to be located nearby. Thanks in advance!

2K Club Member

Sounds like your down pipes are blocked with leaves. Look in the back of your local paper you should find

some one who cleans them and trims trees. This is some thing that should be done a couple of

times a year

Golden Member

Do what I did... removed the gutters altogether. problem solved.

Apprentice (new member)

Are you sure this would work? I'm not so certain removing the gutters is a good idea. I did a little research and read that this can cause many other problems with the foundations of the house, mould, and many other very unpleasant things. I'm not sure I would want to risk it. So, I decided to agree with goldie1 and find a person or some firm that cleans these things. So far I have narrowed down my choices to three companies I found on the internet
    (links removed)
    Have you ever heard of these and do you have any opinions? The first two also provide gardening and tree trimming, so I think it would be best to call one of them, but it's really hard to make the decision. I've never called companies like this, and I don't want to become a victim of some kind of scam or something. And my colleagues at work scare me that these scam things happen every day and I should be very careful....
    Last edited by phild01; 11th Dec 2014 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Not Bona Fide links

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyAldred640 View Post
    So far I have narrowed down my choices to three companies I found on the internet, I've never called companies like this,
    Really??

and I don't want to become a victim of some kind of scam or something. And my colleagues at work scare me that these scam things happen every day and I should be very careful...
    Scam Spam, who cares.
    Last edited by Uncle Bob; 23rd Dec 2014 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Link no longer required. Thanks Bedford.
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Thanks Bedford.

How lame is that. Isn't it better to pay that little bit to be a sponsor?
    Does someone know how much it is?

Bwahahaha, what a knob

Golden Member

Are you sure this would work? I'm not so certain removing the gutters is a good idea. I did a little research and read that this can cause many other problems with the foundations of the house, mould, and many other very unpleasant things. I'm not sure I would want to risk it.
    Do you realise that when it rains apart from hitting your roof the rain also hits the ground around you house so you had better watch out for the unpleasant things cause they're going to GET YA

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by rod1949 View Post
    Do you realise that when it rains apart from hitting your roof the rain also hits the ground around you house so you had better watch out for the unpleasant things cause they're going to GET YA
    Rod, the only time it is safe to have no gutters on a Building is when the land slopes away from the Building, and even then, it may be against Local Building Laws.

Gutters and Downpipes are installed to direct the Roof Water away from the Foundations for obvious reasons.

To the Op,

The only advice you have received so far is look in the Local Free Newspaper where, usually at the back, you will find the Contractors you are seeking, and also look in the Yellow Pages, and as for Scams, the only time you will be Scammed in this situation is if you pay for a job which is not done correctly so inspect before you pay or have someone inspect for you.

There are also Gutter Vacuum Companies but they are usually expensive and, in some cases I have seen, do not get all leaves from the gutters.

If you are capable and feel safe getting on the roof you can use a Triple Grip screwed to a piece of timber and get most leaves out that way dependent on how far the Roof is into the Gutter.
    A Blower Vac also works well in the dry season.
    I know of a 65 year old Lady who cleans her Gutters this way on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    Rod, the only time it is safe to have no gutters on a Building is when the land slopes away from the Building, and even then, it may be against Local Building Laws.

Gutters and Downpipes are installed to direct the Roof Water away from the Foundations for obvious reasons.

To the Op,

The only advice you have received so far is look in the Local Free Newspaper where, usually at the back, you will find the Contractors you are seeking, and also look in the Yellow Pages, and as for Scams, the only time you will be Scammed in this situation is if you pay for a job which is not done correctly so inspect before you pay or have someone inspect for you.

There are also Gutter Vacuum Companies but they are usually expensive and, in some cases I have seen, do not get all leaves from the gutters.

If you are capable and feel safe getting on the roof you can use a Triple Grip screwed to a piece of timber and get most leaves out that way dependent on how far the Roof is into the Gutter.
    A Blower Vac also works well in the dry season.
    I know of a 65 year old Lady who cleans her Gutters this way on a regular basis.
    Cyclic, check Bedford's post!

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Cyclic, check Bedford's post!
    I did and at my age it means diddly squat to me, so, in the words of a certain Redhead, "Please Explain" to me what his post is all about.

edit LOL, I now see he is a Gutter Cleaner or am I wrong again ?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    I did and at my age it means diddly squat to me, so, in the words of a certain Redhead, "Please Explain" to me what his post is all about.

edit LOL, I now see he is a Gutter Cleaner or am I wrong again ?
    Nah, you got it.

2K Club Member

Many have tried and many have failed to get past Bedfords eagle eye

X2 for ringtails post

Apprentice (new member)

wow. lol. I'm a chick and I clean out my own gutters.