Hire the best Roofing Expert

Managing Sarking?

Default Managing Sarking?

Greetings again people,

Had a crack at putting up a small section of roofing over the porch this arvo and reasonably happy with the outcome thus far.

Todays question comes about after nearly roasting myself with the sarking. Seriously I have to admit to having been a bit sceptical about wether or not this stuff was worth the coin. Having nearly blinded myself and and giving myself a serious tradies tan in the space of a few minutes and almost falling off the ladder because in a state of dehydration I am now convinced this stuff is worth the money (I also have a pretty fair idea of what next sundays roast chook will feel like after about 5minutes in the oven).

A quick search for tips has thus far revealed the more obvious stuff but Im wondering in particular about how to manage it so I dont end up roasting again. My current line of thinking is to pre-cut the lengths I need on the ground (reflective side down) and tape both sides, then roll it onto a piece of conduit and take it onto the roof, and only exposing the reflective side as Im about to put another sheet on. Anyone have any wisdom they are willing to share?

Novice

Wear Sunnies, and sunscreen

Its a real pain. My suggestion is to do it at 6.30 am or last thing in the arvo. Not the ideal solution but no sun = happy days. x 2 on the sunscreen and sunnies.

7K Club Member

Now, I was going to say do it at dusk or dawn but thought that'd just be silly. Apparently not.

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Now, I was going to say do it at dusk or dawn but thought that'd just be silly. Apparently not.
    Great minds think alike.
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

indeed.

Golden Member

Isn't that why they have the blue stuff now?
    David L
    "A dedicated amateur will always do a better job than a slap dash professional"

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by racingtadpole View Post
    on the ground (reflective side down) and tape both sides, then roll it onto a piece of conduit and take it onto the roof, and only exposing the reflective side as Im about to put another sheet on. Anyone have any wisdom they are willing to share?
    Yes.

You're not going to like this.

The reflective side is meant to be installed facing down.

The blue (or green or whatever) side is facing up to prevent the effects you have just experienced. This was done to protect the poor suckers who have to install the stuff in our sunny climate, but you should still wear sunscreen and sunnies...

Sorry about that

woodbe.

The reflective side is meant to be installed facing down.
    Hmmm....Now Im confused cos I thought being only the cheaper stuff Bunnies sell that it was only single sided. So naturally assumed the silver side went up. Will double check the pack tommorow.

You're not going to like this.
    No big deal, better to find out now before I put the roof on

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by racingtadpole View Post
    Hmmm....Now Im confused cos I thought being only the cheaper stuff Bunnies sell that it was only single sided.
    Its not really single-sided. The coloured side is usually still the same material, just coated to reduce the reflection.

woodbe.

Yeah but in a place like Adelaide it does actually make a difference. The R value is actually higher with the sunny side up.....which is the way we laid ours. The only reason there is a blue side is essentially OH&S and because it makes roofers happy.

Doing the job on an overcast day is the go.
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

Oh man, I just read the rest - you poor bastard. I just assumed that you were laying it shiny side down and it was just the rolling out process that was giving you the glares. I wonder how the neighbours are going with it not to mention low flying aircraft - lol

Its not really single-sided. The coloured side is usually still the same material, just coated to reduce the reflection.
    The R value is actually higher with the sunny side up
    The only reason there is a blue side is essentially because it makes roofers happy.
    Tech rep from the manufacturer mentioned all of the above and a few other things I didnt know.

I honestly thought that I had just bought something that was just a more modern version of the brown paper with some alfoil on one side. I had read about the stuff that has an anti-glare side and just assumed that $100 for a big roll (80+ sq m) was not going to be anything that flash. You learn something new everyday....

I wonder how the neighbours are going with it not to mention low flying aircraft - lol
    If we down an aircraft it'll definately make the news...The house is just to one side of the approach into Edinburgh and theres been a couple of Hornets floating around the last week.

Up it goes tommorow, blue side up....

Thanks for the suggestions and words of wisdom, much appreciated

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilentButDeadly View Post
    The R value is actually higher with the sunny side up.....which is the way we laid ours. The only reason there is a blue side is essentially OH&S and because it makes roofers happy.
    Until the dust etc collects on it. Emissivity saves the day, reflectivity wastes away.

woodbe.

Until the dust etc collects on it. Emissivity saves the day, reflectivity wastes away.
    You're not the rep I spoke to yesterday are you?

Just looked out the window. There will be no sarking installation today. Hope the tarp held out last night??!!!!??? Might be a good chance to get started on the go-whoa I was thinking of doing...

Quote Originally Posted by woodbe View Post

woodbe.
    Speakum truth. But even dust (like blue paint) has powers beyond mere comprehension....
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.